C Section Anxiety

Elliellie

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I found out that my placenta is still low at 34 weeks & a c section is looking likely. Im feeling worried as I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to medical stuff, I have been known to pass out during blood tests! I want to stay awake to see my LO but I'm scared I might freak out or pass out! Does anyone know whether it's possible to be mildly sedated during the operation? Also, if anyone has stories of c sections I'd love to hear them. How did people find the recovery? Can you have skin to skin & feed straight away? How long is the catheter in for?! So many questions!

I understand how scared you are but please don't opt for a GA if you can avoid it. I had a crash section for one of my twins under a GA (against my will) and I am still gutted that I missed the first few hours of their lives.
Talk to your mw about your anxieties xxx

catheter stayed in till I could get mobile enough to use the loo hun. As mine was emergency section I passed out after it was done and my skin to skin wasn't done and also I ended up bottle feeding as he was jaundice and failed to latch on but everyone is different x

Id avoid GA as well. Mine was an emergency and it all happened so quick that I went into panic mode and just asked them to knock me out, so they did! I wouldn't say it was the end of the world but I was drugged up for most of the first few hours of Sophie's life and I do feel I've missed out and would have been better with a spinal block but that's in hindsight and at the time I was hysterical and causing myself and baby more stress than actually needed.

Honestly don't worry about it!! I thought it was the end of the world when they told me but seriously it's the best thing to go through to make sure you have a safe and healthy baby at the end of it all. Im so thankful now that the decision was made and I have my perfectly healthy little baby lieing with me, rather than they make me labour and cause damage to baby and then end up having to having a section anyway.

I had mine on Friday afternoon and I
came home last night. First night was hard and it difficult getting up and getting used to walking back round again but Ive managed it and I'm a bit of a soft arse about pain! I wouldn't actually say its that painful either, just more uncomfortable and hard to be able to position myself just how I'd like to be able to.
Also the scarring is so minimal!! You can already hardly even see mine, just looks like someone's draw a faint biro line on me! Xx

Catheter was also just left in until they made it possible for me to start getting up and walking around. Going for a wee again was strange but I just turned on the taps in the bathroom and stared at the water and it helped me to relax and let my wee go without forcing it too much. I'm still using the technique atm just as I get used to it all again.

Thanks for the replies ladies, it's good to know you've been able to get up and walk about fairly soon afterwards and the pain has been manageable! Also, Hunnie, thanks for tips on going to the loo, hadn't thought about that, just the thought of a catheter makes me feel a bit squeamish! It's encouraging to know that the scar is so minimal though, I wouldn't have expected that, especially so soon afterwards. I definitely don't want GA, just wondering if anyone was offered a mild sedative to get them through it?
I'm trying to focus on the end result and not get all panicky but it's hard!

Hello :)

Mine was a planned section as I had to have lots of growth scans towards the end of ny pregnancy and they predicted Savannah would be 10lb 2oz... Turned out she was 9lb 14oz so not far off!

I have to say I was amazed by ny experience the section itself was the best moment of my life. I was terrified but i would do it again in a heartbeat. I felt nothing just a little sick and ny breathing was a bit funny but I had somebody stood right next to me explaining what was happening so as soon as I told him I felt sick or anything he gave me things to help with the sickness. I'm not sure about breastfeeding because i ff however I was able to hold her pretty much straight away :) and they checked with ne before I went in whether I was breastfeeding and what I wanted to happen afterwards.

The recovery I must admit I found quite hard... Lo was very heavy so carrying her was difficult for a while.

Savannah was born at 10.02am on the Wednesday and my cathater stayed in until about the same time the next morning. I thought it would be awful but suprisingly it was no hassle at all. It's easier being able to stay in bed as you probably won't move your bottom half for a while! The first time you try to get out of bed its hard but i had a lot of help from the nurse the first time. Walking was hard as if you've never had a section before its difficult to know how straight you can stand without hurting yourself, your tummy will burn when you first try to walk aroundbot the scar so much but your tummy will burn for a while when you try to move... The best advice for that is to be aware of when your next tablets are due. They help a lot! Keep taking them for as long as you need to.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

All in all my section was nowhere near as bad as what i thought it would be and if I have to have another one next time I would be more than happy to :)

I had an emergency section but a really good time with it. I'd already had the epi so they topped it up. Got a little teary at the start but that's because I've never had an operation before. My OH had to hold the baby until I was stitched up but I could reach him to stroke his head once I was stitched he was with me and he took to bfing straight away! I won't be bothering vbacing next time I'll be happy having another section. Just take it easy for a few days after and make sure the midwives help you as mine didn't!

hello hunni! please dont panic, c sections are honestly fine.

I was very very ill so the recovery process was long and painful for me as I was on a drip for 48 hours and was allowed nothing but 80ml of water an hour throughout that period oh and morphine. this will NOT happen to you. Other than this the whole thing was fine! I was nervous before hand but the doctors were lovely and really relaxed me, i was given a spinal (which i hardly felt!) and was lowered onto the bed, they give you a couple of tests with cold spray to see if you can feel anything. and off they go! all you feel is a bit of pressure and tugging and just like that you have a baby! the whole process took about 40 minutes for me, but some are even quicker. xx

I had an emergency c-section and was very pleasantly surprised that I didn't even panic ( I thought I would)...I stayed calm all the way ( was a bit teary before they started c-section as only then it really kicked in that I will see my baby in few minutes). Didn't feel a thing, if not the scar I wouldn't even believe that I had a surgery. Felt really well afterwards. Not much pain at all just a little bit that evening ( my c-section was at 4pm), the next morning I was up and walking.

Nearly a week on and I feel absolutely fine! Probably doing more than I should but I'm managing to look after Sophie and do household chores and I've been out of the house quite a few times and to the Trafford centre today. Can tell when I've over done it though as my belly can be quite sore

My emergency c-section was a massive relief for me as the labour had been long and unsuccessful and I was worried little baby was struggling with the natural birth which he was a bit. It really was so fine, they are so quick and professional at doing them and with the epi beig awake, pain free and talking to my DH all the way through was amazing. They lifted baby up after he cried immediately and we saw it was a boy, then did what they had to do for a few minutes then lay him across my chest with me and my DH holding him on me. In recovery we had skin to skin and he latched on and fed, it was amazing! Feel really emotional just thinking about it now! I will be having more c-sections in future due to the way they cut my uterus as little man was stuck but I'm not scared. Please try not to worry or focus on the things that might grim u out as it can be a magical experience. Good luck xxx

Dont panic hun you'll be okay and if you're just having an epidural your OH will be allowed with you. I had to have a general for my section so I cant help with the actual op but I had skin to skin about an hour later when I came round and she was with my OH till then. I recovered quite quickly to be honest. Bending down and sitting down and going to the toilet etc can be quite sore but if you take painkillers it helps. I had the general in like 8am and I felt I could try to stand up by the evening but they wouldnt let me till 24hrs had passed and they took the catheter out before they let me stand - so about 24hrs. But the other women on the ward were allowed to try and move around after 8-12 hours - dont know if this was different because they'd just had an epidural whereas I'd had an epi AND general :S just ask hun because everywhere has different rules etc. But please dont work yourself up babe I know its hard but it'll all be worth it when you have your LO!! My friend had a section and her OH was talking to her about the weather lol xx

I had an emerg c-section with my dd as hardly dilated after 10 hours.
the op itself was fine, bit of tugging, she cried, got checked and my oh held her by me till i got stitched up.
one thing that happend to me (typical) was they forgot to take the catheter out and i was led in bed for 2 days with it.
coughing did hurt a bit, also trying to get comfy in bed. after having a shower in hosp tho, things got a bit easier. even managed to walk around tescos minutes after allowed being home, loving compliments from people saying i looked so well for somebody thats just given birth lol x

Ahh Ellie, don't worry at all, sections are just fine, and very controlled and calm if done as elective , which yours might be. Heres my story, as I wrote alot at the time! They normally try to get you up and about that evening , if you have baby before lunchtime. nice to change a pad , and have a bit of a wash down there!!

http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/bir...nouncing-devon-rory-jones-6th-jan-2011-a.html

If you have any questions, just send me a PM

Just thought I'd say a week on from
my c section and I am completely back to normal again! :) get a few little pangs if I do too much but other than that I'm pretty much the same old me again and on no pain relief

Sorry I haven't been on to reply to your messages for a few days, just finishing work this week & so much to do! I really appreciate all your helpful posts though & I really am feeling a lot less anxious now. I still don't know if I am definitely having a c section, should find out on Wednesday, but in some ways I might even prefer it now! Hunnie, I'm amazed at how quickly you are feeling back to normal, I always thought the recovery was awful. Thanks ladies for sharing your experiences, so helpful & I'm really grateful for you reassurance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back