Bringing Up Baby

moomoo192 said:
The one that you're strapped to 24/7 seems ok apart from the sleeping aspect due to suffocation, that scares me and i once read about a woman feeding her baby (she was big breasted) and when she looked down to her baby (still feeding so she thought) her baby had been suffocated by her own boob, i can timagng how she must have felt, i have always tried to stay awake and sitting up feeding my babies just incase of this happening.

I must admit DD slept in bed with me, but mainly because she wouldn't sleep any other way in the early days. Although there was no chance of me smothering her with my boobs, there were barely a B cup even when full of milk :rotfl:

omg i have had an hour of ranting and crying....Why did these people even listen to her..

you can't cuddle your baby?????

shut the door when your baby is outside???

never cuddle your baby ???? :shock: :evil:

OMG is this woman a sociopath ???

i know slightly off the subject but a good book about bringing up a baby is called 'the baby whisperer' can get it on ebay.

After having kids of my own i can see where this book is coming from and really is a good book. Tells you there are about 5 different types of babies etc and you find out which one is yours and fit around your babys personality.

just wanted to butt in and say its worth a read.

:oops: off now

I will add for balance that with the trible one, the lady whose baby wasn't taking to breast feeding after having been bottle fed in hospital due to complications, I don't agree that she should stick it out forever on the breast. If her baby had conplications at birth and it is very important he keeps his blood sugar up then there comes a point where you realise you are not living in the amazon jungle or whereever, we do have back-up plans.

Rather a baby have formula than starve.

Monster munch

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

i'm not saying i haven't fallen asleep feeding, i have as it does get too tiring staying awake when feeding on demand ( method i use) all the time but i dont think i could do it from day one, but thats just my personal opinion

Oh at at the end of the programme where the mum said she knows she has foxes in the garden and that evil witch said the foxes definitely wouldn't touch the baby(s)

Has she ever seen what a fox can do? They will tunnel deep and even climb fences to get at hens - if they saw or smelt a helpless baby lying there and they were hungry with babies of their own to feed (which no doubt they cuddle!!) then they would get that baby.

I am actually considering hiring this woman and then ... (I won't go on, it could get a bit OTT if I let myself type what I want to do with her)

I will add for balance that with the trible one, the lady whose baby wasn't taking to breast feeding after having been bottle fed in hospital due to complications, I don't agree that she should stick it out forever on the breast. If her baby had conplications at birth and it is very important he keeps his blood sugar up then there comes a point where you realise you are not living in the amazon jungle or whereever, we do have back-up plans.

Rather a baby have formula than starve.

I agree When D was born they adivsed me to give him forumla on top of b/ milk i asked if there was an alternative...i hand expressed initally but still wasn't helping and they only other option was a drip so obviously i gave him forumla.

we do have a lot more scientific knowledge now and nothing wrong with using it

monster_munch said:
Leaving them outside alone in the cold :shock: I agree they need fresh air, but with their mums. If babies where designed to be independant from a young age, they would come out able to talk, walk and feed themselves.

my nan used to do that.. we had a big coach pram type thing, and we used to sit on her porchway in that playing. OK, she was in the garden at the time, but she was forever popping into doors. God, when i think of wher she lived and what it is like now, i wouldn't be happy letting alice pay out at 30!!

i didn't watch it (forgot all about it! lol), but by the sounds of it, im glad i didn't!!

MM I think that the woman was saying that although the hospital were encouraging top ups for the babies blood sugar that was good for baby in one way but bad in another as they'd never get used to the breast. I do think that hospitals but in too much sometimes when it comes to breastfeeding. They wanted me to take DS in after he was born to monitor his feeding, what would they have said? If they'd told me to top up I wouldn't have (unless he seriously needed it) and by not taking him in then I didn't know whether he would have needed it. So if she'd had her homebirth they wouldn't necessarily have known about his blood sugar levels so wouldn't have advised top ups that would have wrecked breastfeeding at the start. Am I clear or have I completely muddled my words?

The woman who thinks babies are manipluative creatures should be shot!!

I think its odd she doesnt even kids of her own!

No - I do agree Kina, but I think if it gets to dangerous levels then I would give my baby formula.
I didn't give DD formula until she was 5 and a bit months old so I did exclusively breastfeed on demand and personally believe it to be best, I just worry that maybe she will encourage the mum to keep breastfeeding even if the baby starts rapidly losing weight etc.

I know what you mean, it will be interesting to see how the series goes with regards to her breastfeeding advice. So far though she seems the sanest out of the lot of them!

Sharne said:

I couldn't believe that either - saying that if you cuddle your baby when it cries it will think 'great, attention, I'll cry more'.
Yes, that is exactly what a 1 day old baby is thinking, probably just after they plan world domination :roll:

I believ theres a happy medium in bringing up children, i believe that routine is very important i think that it does help them learn theres a time to sleep and a time to play, consequently alfie has slept through 12 hours a night from like i said 7/8 weeks, but aswell as routine they need love they need hugs they need to be kissed and played with to develope social skills and to develop emotionally, i believe in life we always crave the attention of our parents even now i love having a hug with my mum and dad, i feel so happy when they tell me they love me and that they are proud of me. I think that the tribal seems nice but as parents we arent super mums or super dads and i think if your tired from having 24/7 contact the baby wont benefit from that either, a tired mummy isnt a happy mummy and i also think id feel safer with my baby in a moses basket near me than in bed with me, i personally wouldnt be able to sleep although i love the idea of slining the baby all day, but i also think that if you sling them too much then they dont have time to stretch and play etc. I think there are happy mediums, yes bring in a routine, but one that suits baby and mummy, yes give your baby cuddles because thats what they need crave an love and yes i think that slinging is both practical, easier and a lovely way to bond. But babies aswell as mummies and daddie sneed their own development time. I cant wait to next week but i cant help thinking that its shocking thats these mums have participated in this show. their babies have basically become a science experiment

Kina said:
I know what you mean, it will be interesting to see how the series goes with regards to her breastfeeding advice. So far though she seems the sanest out of the lot of them!

I'm definitely going to bare some of the things she says in mind. At least her methods come from a theory that makes sense at least in some respects!

monster_munch said:
Sharne said:

I couldn't believe that either - saying that if you cuddle your baby when it cries it will think 'great, attention, I'll cry more'.
Yes, that is exactly what a 1 day old baby is thinking, probably just after they plan world domination :roll:

A 1 day old baby is thinking 'crap i don't like this cold place.... put me back!!!!'

I like the Dr spock one to be honest....

I think it is kinda along the lines I live trust your instincts....my baby does deman attention and why not if i wasn't getting any i would too...he wants to be cuddled....D was under light from wednesday am to fri lunchtime and we spent a wonderful afternoon just cuddling on the bed friday.. i know he loved it...i treasued those cuddles when feeding hi that was how we bonded and he learnt to know my smell

I wasn't anti the sling woman will watch how they get on with intrest

It makes me really sad, I went to a funeral of a baby on Friday (he was born 15 weeks early and lived for just 17 hours) :cry: . These people who are leaving their precious babies outside in the cold and leaving them to cry like they're unwanted and unloved don't realise how lucky they are to be parents. I know that the devastated mother who I hugged on Friday and watched carry her baby's coffin would do anything to cuddle with her little boy.

Lets all tell Channel 4 how irresponsible they are!

I'm not lucky enough to have UK TV and have the pleasure of watching this program... But I did want to mention that I used top ups with Tia from almost day 1... I was still in hospital when Tia wouldn't stop crying...the midwife came in to see why....grabbed my boob and squeezed it...nothing came out...she said that I was completely dry and Tia needed topping up... so she got a small cup of formula... Tia had a lot of top ups after that.... I couldn't even express because my boobs were always empty... It wasn't a bad thing, just i believe some babies are very hungry creatures and sometimes mummy can't keep up... :think: Btw my daughter is now the size of an 11 year old, and wears size 4 shoes... Despite being as thin as a twig... She's a very tall young lady but very fit and healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back