Extraordinary Breast feeding

xSuzx

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm just watching this programme on channel 4 know and was wondering that if you watch it what your thoughts are.

Theres some quite interesting discussions raised.

About how long you should breastfeed for, peoples oppinion on should you beable to breastfeed in public ect.

theres one women on at the moment that is breastfeeding her 2 and ahalf year old twins its quite interesting but they do look like there only at the breast for comfort and not feeding, they also can't sleep unless at the breast.

Apologies if i'm causing offence to anyone but WHY WHY WHY still let your 7 year old breast feed :?: :?: :?: . Surely you should be feeding your child a decent diet to maintain their health and give all the nutrients they need and not rely on breast feeding. By breast feeding this long they must be creating attachment issues and insecurities for their child in the future :?: :?: :?:

Tan x

Im crying watching this, those twins are so upset at weaning and crying for milk. The programme isnt even done yet. This cannot be best for the child.

I think it's wrong, those 8 and 10 year old girls were obsessed with breasts, surely that's not healthy... :?

Totally agree with you guys.

I'm def. going to breast feed my bubba (well try anyway!) but I won't be whipping my boob out in the middle of my weekly shop! :shock:
I know some people think its natural,which it is, but why get your tits out infront of everyone?? and as for feeding my 8 year old, I think not, like you said Tan, there are so many other issues attached with it, that kid thought it was ok just to suck on her mums boob even though she wasn't get any milk out! In my opinion its just wrong.

How about the hubby who also used to have a sneaky feed??? I think mine would vomit at the mere thought of drinking my milk!! :lol:

I thought that I would not want to breastfeed in public but have found it difficult in reality, when Seren wants feeding there is no pacifying her unless you feed her, and there aren't very many places that have facilities to feed in, and am not using a loo!!! I can usually breastfeed Seren without showing any breast and it is hard to know what I am doing unless you are really close. The examples shown of public breastfeeding were not totally accurate, it does not have to be that noticeable if you dress in certain way etc. Though had to admire the woman for pushing a trolly, that's multi tasking!

Completely agree with the hubby comment, that made me a bit quesy :D

OH MY GOD!!!!! :shock:

surely, surely, surely, that is not normal??? eight years old?? it just doesnt seem right - and what was that all about - having granny join in to???? what are those kids gona have to face at school??

its very comendable that these women did breast feed - i personally dont intend to try i t and baby will be on bottles from the word go, thats just my personal preference, but surely, (normal?) mums who breast feed know when to draw the line so to speak? doesnt breast feeding tail off ( as bottle feeding would do) once you start weaning????

its just weird - and i didnt like the mum who had adopted an 18 month old trying to force her on to the breast? - ooooh! i just dont get it!

hope i havent offended any one, like i said, breasfeeding is very admirable - but not to age eight!!

shamu

I bloomin' missed this I fell asleep :( Did anyone copy it? I really wanted to watch it

It' a shame you missed it sami I found it very interesting,

I breast fed both of my boys Ethan until he was 4 months (my milk dried up) and I breast fed callum untill he was 10 months I stop because I got a very bad stomach bug and couldn't really handle it.

I intend to breast feed this one for longer if I can but not for too long,
At around 12 months I introduced my boys to a tommy tippee beaker as they need to learn how to drink from a proper cup, at this point I'd proberly express and let them drink from this that way they get all the nutrients but get used to being without the breast, and would proberly introduce different types off juice too so eventually would not need the breast milk at all.

my boys are 6 and 4 and I couldn't imagine still breast feeding my youngest it would just be strange for me.

Wow what a programme!!

As I think we all agree the 7 year old breastfeeding and just wrong, no offence here but I think that this mother is selfish and just wants to keep the bond for longer that it should be and to keep control. The poor kids didn't know anybetter. Also they won't have to worry about the school thing as they are home taught by there mum and they don't have a TV so the three things together put them out the social norm. It's good to be different I agree but at what cost? Mind you I do think they are brave to go on the programme, they were also doing the chat show circuit too. I saw them on Richard & Judy yesterday and my mum saw them on GMTV.

I had such a battle to breastfeed, I had all sorts of problems and now it's all working I love it and intend to do it for as long as possible - about a year, but as soon as those teeth go munching in it may be less than a year.

I pretty much breastfed anywhere when Dom was a newborn, but I think doing it in a checkout and by the food was taking the mickey, mind you I think they were just proving a point that breastfeeding should not be the issue in society that it is but I think they probably peed more people off than make them appreciate it needs to be done ALMOST anywhere.

Right, am off my soapbox now - tee hee :)

PS - I really enjoyed feeding Dom straight after the programme as it did make me broody.

quite disturbing seeing a fully grown child hanging off a breast if you ask me and if you ask me its bordering on abuse. Its just not right.

Reminds me of little britian aswell.

Yeah, l agree with you first time daddy, 'bitty' comes to mind. I didn't watch the programme either, forgot it was on,.... sure it would have been one of those hide-behind-the-sofa cenario's,...cringing!! Oh well, surely it couldn't have been nice to watch.

Fluffy. xx :lol:

It's repeated tonight at 10 and on Saturday at 9:10pm on More4.

I didn't watch it last night as it was on before OH's son's bedtime and I thought a 13yo boy might find it a bit disturbing ("ew, gross!!") Actually, my OH was relieved as he didn't want to watch it either, but tough he'll be watching it tonight!

Thanks Skidoo, may be interesting to watch. Probably make me feel really disturbed watching it though :shock: but we'll see!

Fluffy. xx :lol:

I too was slightly alarmed at the 7 year old!! I was concerned about peer pressure etc but it turned out they were home educated and it wasn't an issue at school.

The bit that made me chuckle and made my husbands face a real picture, was when that mother (of the 7 year old) remarked on the husband having his fair share to help with fullness and that was normal of any breastfeeding family for the husband to join in!! Not in this one it's not!!! Asked hubby if he fancied sharing when the baby comes along in a few weeks but he declined!!!

I admired the spanish lady who wanted to breastfeed the adopted girl and totally understood her reasons for wanting to do so, but thought it totally wrong to offer breast to a child that just didn't understand what it was all about, expressing was better in that situation I felt.

Very good programme though with loads of room for discussion!!

sorry if offend anyone but im just completely mortified and speechless
i agree babies should be breast fed but after about a year i think it should be stopped
unfortunately im not going to breast feed i dont feel comfortable with doing it my baby like my son will be on bottle hats off to all those who do feel able to breast feed :D xxxxx

I agree with you kerry on the issue of the women with the adopted girl, I can understand her reasons for her wanting to feed her breast milk, babies may be born with the natural reflex of knowing how to breastfeed but lose this within a matter of weeks if bottle feed so an 18 month old has no idea or understanding of what to do.

I to think expressing would be a better solution but she was being persitant wasn't she, which is why sometimes in some cases of extended breastfeeding I think that this is for selfish reasons of the mother and not always what is best for the child.

Don't get me wrong I totally loved breastfeeding and can not discribe how great it feels emotionally, so I can understand to some extent but surely there comes a time when it starts to create dependency issues.

It's one thing to put your baby to the breast for feeding and another to do it just to comfort ( which is what seemed to cause the trouble for the lady with the twins), My personal oppinion is that little ones need to learn to settle on there own and not always at the breast (although sometimes easier said then done) this in the long term I've found is better for the child as they get older and for the mothers sanity lol.

sorry all for the essay

What got to me most (even more then the 8 year old) was the fact that there were so many people against breastfeeding in public. Why is it acceptable for a mum who formula feeds to be feeding baby anywhere yet if my baby is crying with hunger people would prefer it if I found somewhere where I won't offend them. The burberry decked man (what a funny guy he was) annoyed me the most, saying that the sight of a breast feeding mum would cause perverts to have weird feelings and that it would affect the "paedofiddlers". I hate to revert to a stereotype but I bet he has no probs looking at the naked boobs in the Daily Star. I know that at the age of 27 and after pregnancy my breasts don't compare so well to those belonging to Janelle, 21 from London but they're not too bad if I may say so myself. Our local MP is campaigning to get a bill passed to make it illegal to ask a bfing woman to stop, and I can't wait for it to go through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back