Breastfeeding fears!!

Spammy

Reaction score
Any other first time mum-to-bes a bit scared of breastfeeding? I am! I really want to do it as I know it's best for baby and mum but for some reason I'm terrified about it!

Last night I had a dream that I was breastfeeding and my nipple got bitten off!! Lol. Stupid i know but it must really be on my mind for me to be dreaming about it. Does anyone else feel a bit like this or am I just a bit of a nutcase?

Please can some of you experienced mums put my mind at rest?! I know everyone is different but all I seem to hear are horror stories of how difficult and painful it is!

Sorry to sound neurotic. Thanks for reading.

Spammy x

Not neurotic! Last night I accidentally caught my nipple with my thumb nail, and cried. Felt like it had been lopped off. Imagine what it's like when there's something attached to it all the time!!! Let's just say I don't think I'll be brave enough to breastfeed once junior starts teething!!
The thing is, I really don't think our bodies would have been made that way if it wasn't the best thing, it's just the most natural thing in the world isn't it? I think the benefits for bubs far outway the pain or hassle for mummies, and when I think about breastfeeding it just seems right.

So unfortunately I have no reassuring stories, but I do know where you're coming from! xx

I'm not scared but I am not in love with the idea.

I want to breast feed, I will try my damndest to give it 100% and I know all the stats and facts about how beneficial it is!

Yet I just don't look forward to it :shock: :shock: I feel a bit of a fraud as I know it is one of the most important bonding processes between Mum and baby...

I'm hoping as my pregnancy progresses I will start to warm to the idea.

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I feel the same. I know how good it is for baby and mum, and that like CARNAT says the best way to bond but part of me just doesn't feel I can do it or that I really want to?! That sounds so terrible and selfish but I don't want feeding time to be about me dreading it and feeling tense as baby will definately pick up on this. I feel like I've given up before I've tried and I have already been given the lecture on breast is best by family members who tell me I should do it. My step mum tried with my sister and she started teething at 11 weeks so couldn't continue with it! ouch! Formula milk has come on a long way since we were all babies..I just don't know what to do! *sighs*
Sorry no advice as such x

Breastfeeding just needs getting used to hun, as well as positive thinking and determination.
I had so much determination to breastfeed but after a night of no sleep and sore nipples, as well as the overall emotions of becoming a mummy, I just cried and couldn't do it any more. I had no positive thinking, Grace was on my breast from 8pm to 6am the next morning (probably more), with one half hour nap in between. So I was just terrified of no more sleep and constant feeding like that. I was even so tired that I kept hearing crying babies in my head when I went home.

Maybe if someone said to me: "You have to do this" that I would have continued, but my mum who knew exactly how I felt as she did the same with me, said to me, "You don't have to do this you know Tiff, it doesn't mean you're a bad mum or Grace will be any different, It's no good you being upset like this, Grace needs you to be happy". I wish I was breastfeeding, there were also plenty of times after I stopped breastfeeding that I lifted my top up but Grace wouldn't take to it. Your milk comes in a few days after birth so I suppose breastfeeding will get easier when that happens, the milk comes out like crazy! lol Be sure to have some nipple cream and use it frequently, it will soothe the pain and help with the soreness/dryness. The hospital gave me some samples which I used after every feed.

Many girls continue breastfeeding and become pro's in no time, but just remember it doesn't mean you're a bad mum if you choose not to carry on. I think the first few days/weeks will be the hardest, it's something new for both mummy and baby, just takes some getting used to :) xxx

I don't think it's going to be easy but I'm willing to stick it out - I have contacts for the le leche support groups and other breast feeding classes and support in the area and I really want to be able to do it...

The only thing i don't think i'll feel comfortable doing is feeding in front of my parents or parent in laws- friends don't bother me but family for some bizarre reason do.....

I already have a mild cast of mastitis the midwife thinks so have to see the dr

for me its the change in seeing my boobs as sexy and fun to functional thats a bit weird

Your boobs certainly do become huge, I wouldn't mind those bad boys again, without the leaking milk though!
When you're feeding in public/around family, just put a blanket or shawl over your shoulder covering baby and boob, that's what I did :) or the moby wrap, that also hides boob :D xxx

Embarrassment is definately a factor for me.

We have a lot of men in our families - I have two brother's and my Dad, OH has 4 brother's and his Dad - and I do worry about how comfortable I'll feel feeding infront of them?

xxxxxxxxxx

My Dad's brother walked in on my mum when she was breastfeeding me :lol:
Again, just cover yourself up :) the first few times is a little nerve racking in front of people but when you've got a hungry crying baby you just don't care and whack a boob out any where xxx

I don't know why as they won't be able to see anything but the idea of it makes me feel squirmish.... then again i felt that way telling dad i was pregnant as although i have been married 5 years going on 6, he'd KNOW what we'd been doing to get pregnant lol! I know its silly and terribly ingrown up of me......

XD xxxx

Firstly when bf in front of others, they can't see anything, just the back of babies head. You can get some really good bf tops that show even less now for those who feel embarrassed.
It hurts like a bugger at first and baby seems to feed almost constantly at first (cluster feed).
This is when most give it up.
I promise you that if you persevere the pain will go as your nipples toughen and the baby will move into a more natural feeding routine as they do with ff.
Keep at it and be aware that it's tough at first but soooo worth it x

I know breast is best etc, but it does worry me, if LO wants to feed constantly I know I'm going to get shattered. I'd like Oh to be able to feed aswell so we can share the feeding. Embarrassment is definitely a factor my brother lives with us, so I will have to b ein the bedroom to feed because I don't want to be getting my boobs out in the lounge it seems unfair on him. I'm going to give it a go for at least a month

Last edited:
Expect to be shattered at first, you will be, but that is for a relatively short amount of time in the grand scheme of things, give it a go, no harm in trying.
I got a really good electric pump so that my oh could feed too when needed x

I was really determined to breastfeed and have *touchwood* found it relatively simple. The only bad days I have had was when my milk came in and Tilly was headbutting me in frustration.

I insisted that the breastfeeding support lady come to my house a few days running to help me nail it. This was key for me sticking to it tbh. She showed me how to express to make the nipple softer for baby to latch on easier.

I read so many books/watched DVDs/talked to people do I was aware of some of the pitfalls.

It did smart a bit at first while your nips get used to it but now it's absolutely fine. I have no cracked/sore nips anymore. If you find it hurts after about 10 sucks you must reattach baby or your nips will get shredded!!

My next goal is to do it out and about. I have organised my time so I can be at home in relaxed surroundings when I feed baby so far but I can't do this forever. If visitors have been here I just put a blanket over baby.

When I was feeding the twins my nipples bled for about a week, it's bloody hard. As long as you don't expect it to be easy and go into knowing you'll look like the walking dead for the first couple of weeks then there's no big surprises x

You girls are very lucky to have the support.
I had no breastfeeding groups or anything like that, the midwives didn't help me other than say, "Wow is she still feeding?"

I hope my experience helps you and encourages you to give it a go and stick at it. I kick myself so much for not carrying it on, so much that I read several times about getting milk to come back. It can take months though and Grace is 4 months now so I really don't see the point. I will definitely stick at it when we have another child though, at least I'll push myself to do so any way. xxx

I had zero support! In fact, I had mw's actively discouraging me from bf my twins.

When I was feeding the twins my nipples bled for about a week, it's bloody hard. As long as you don't expect it to be easy and go into knowing you'll look like the walking dead for the first couple of weeks then there's no big surprises x

Mine bled the first day! It was awful. I dread to think what it would be like with two babies to feed, well done you.

Congratulations on your pregnancy by the way hun, I haven't been online for a while. I hope it's a pink bundle for you :D xxx

I have been breastfeeding my lo for 8 weeks, and I will say it has been the hardest thing about having a baby. I had no idea about cluster feeding and then had to top her up with formula because my milk was slow coming in. It was devestating because I was so pro breastfeeding. I kept at it though and took fenugreek (huge help to boost supply) and pumped between every feed and now I am exclusively bf... She completely refuses a bottle which isn't great lol. One thing I will say after all I have been through is that I don't like the 'breast is best' saying. It makes moms feel so guilty if they can't do it, and is unfair to moms who choose to ff. In my opinion, whatever makes mom and baby happy is best. Bf and ff babies are all fed, happy and healthy :). Good luck to you all, and know that there is tonnes of support in the baby and toddler sections! Xx

Ps if your baby has a good latch, it shouldn't hurt. I was lucky that she latched well and have never had any pain.

I've always found it amazing how split everyone one is about breast feeding it's the natural and the most wonderful thing in the world and I'm so looking forward to doing it again .It's empowering and beautifully relaxing at the same time ,I love it and it's best for mother and baby's health in the long term.
Yes , it's all pain and worry stories at everyone tells you about , and yes it can take alittle bit of getting use to and it can become sore especially if there problems with positioning but within weeks I'm sure you'd settle in to it and can enjoy how easy and natural it is . I offen slept with baby attached feeding in bed only being awoke to change sides . I'm not really bothered who's watching as that says more about them than me . Do try I'm sure your love it too. All the best xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back