Breast pumps & bottles - recommend?

Sunnyb

Reaction score
When I had Joseph I used an Avent pump to express with, but unfortunately it broke. I am now looking to buy a new breast pump for when our little one arrives, but there are so many on the market now & different bottles (I want to express & use breast & bottle to give expressed milk, so my husband can be involved).
Does anyone have any recommendations for breast pumps? Manual? Electric? Also bottles & teats suitable for using on breast fed babies?
Thanks in advance.

Sunnyb xxx

Well I have the Tommie Tippie manual and electric pump as they were just £10 and £40 in the sales, they are always discounted if you search on the web, or in the asda baby events. Do look at online reviews and see what the other girls say as the TT one has had really up and down reviews on here , but for me works a treat.

Most of the ladies on here recomend the medula swing, double the price but sounds great

If your planning on expressing on a regular basis I think investing in a good electric pump would deffinatly be worth while. I had a tommee tippee manual pump and it would have been fine it Id have stuck with it but I wanted to express quite a bit and just didnt have the time, whereas the midwife led me to believe an electric pump would do it quicker and easier. :)

i have the swing Medela pump about £80 ish, and due to latching probs have been solely expressing and getting on very well with this pump for nearly 6 weeks. Would highly recommend it.

They say tommee tippee is closest to breast. I use them and get on well but i don't put Ellie on the breast.

I've tried:

Tommee tippee electric
Medala swing
Hand pump

Don't bother with hand pump. Ouch.

The TT one I had from day one and had been using it no problems until last week. My Sis gave me her old medela swing and oh my god the difference is amazing!

The Medela pump truly mimics a baby's natural sucking. It starts off slow then gets faster whereas the TT one is opposite.

Whilst the TT one is ok, you can't see if there's nothing coming out your nipple anymore and a few times I've been pumping away with nothing there and got sore nips after.

To get 5oz it takes me 20 mins on the TT pump and about 5 mins with the medela! I like how I can see fine how much I've expressed with the medela but I can't with the TT and have to rely on husband or a mirror to zee where I'm up to.

You can get some medela pumps online on eBay. My friend got a brand new one for £60. Well worth the money!

Oh and I use TT bottles and teats on the rare occasion I give him a bottle. He takes it really well.

Thanks for all of your advice. I've been looking at the Lansinoh & Medela swing electric pumps & think I'll probably go with one of them. Bottles are soooo confusing though. I breastfed Joseph exclusively & got all the nipple/teat confusion chat from HV previously. But not mixing bottle & breast just made it a nightmare when I needed him to have a bottle. First night hubby & I went out we had a call to come home, as Joseph needed feeding & would not take the bottle. I do not want to be in that situation ever again. Joseph was really distressed & it took about 5 weeks to get him to take expressed milk from a bottle & we spent a fortune finding a teat he was happy with.
This time I will be ignoring the HV & doing it my way!

Sunnyb xxx

i used a chicco hand pump..wouldnt reccomend it... i used to literally cry while expressing!!!! it was like torture. i eventualy gave up expressing and just put my baby on the boob alwayssss.i was expressing so my oh could help with night feeds... in hospital i had a blockage and they used an electrical one which was much faster and much less painful!!in the end like i say i couldnt take it no more and just brest fed 100% (until 8 weeks)... i get shivers just thinking about my poor nipples =(

Hi
I use the medela swing-electric, it's really great.
We've used dr brown's bottle from a month old and never had any nipple confusion. Thankfully :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back