Bottle or breast?

I plan on trying breast but i really dont see it happening it freaks me out to even think about it... i will try my best and i plan to express but im not going to feel bad if i end up bottle feeding... All i can do is try it out- I wouldn't make myself misserable about it if i couldn't because in my personal opinion i think the midwifes push the importance of it a bit too much, If i can't i dont think a bottle would do it any long term harm.

Going to be the odd one here but I'm bottle feeding. No desire to breast feed and just really cannot face the thought of it. Guess that makes me a bad mummy 2 be but have to go with my feelings.

Absolutely does not make you a bad mummy. It's a very personal choice and totally down to what's right for you and bubs.

Hesty don't feel like that, like ninja kitty said it is personal choice x x

I will be aiming to bf and then express so hubby can help feed.

No one should feel bad for choosing not to bf. A happy mummy means a happy baby. No one should feel pressured into doing something they don't want to do. It's your choice! :) xx

I believe very strongly that breastfeeding for the first 3 months is like the 4th trimester, I really believe it is that important! Obviously some women have to give birth at the end of the second trimester and because of the wonders of modern technology the babies are often fine, but it should not be relied on. I feel the same about breastfeeding.

we are much more like Kangaroos than like other mammals, our young are born small and not ready for life outside of the womb fully, so we breastfeed because it is the most natural way to prepare them for the rest of life. Imagine if a mother kangaroo made the decision to not breastfeed. We would no longer have bouncing healthy kangaroos x

I was only able to feed my first child for about 6 weeks as I had an infection which led to antibiotics etc - so even for those 6 weeks it was sporadic. The constant starting and stopping made it painful for me, and stressful for both me and my son.
However, I'm going to try again with BushBaby because I was devastated when I had to stop before and I really want to have that experience and love it.
If it doesn't work out for me again then I'll know I tried (although I must admit it's more of a personal self-set challenge rather than any real belief in breast is best) - but as long as my baby is getting fed well and receiving the best nutrients I can provide then I'll be happy - whether it's breast or bottle.
xxx

nb. I also want my boobs to stay as large as possible for as long as possible!

i breastfed for 6 weeks, i would have liked to for alot longer but i ended up with a huge cist which had to be removed! very painful!!! i expressed the first 6 weeks also so that oh could do some of the night feeds! im biased and love dthe closeness of bf with lo.... i really miss it now!!! =( xoxoxo

bottle feeds for me, a doctor told me that cow & gate is as good for the baby as breast milk and that old wives tales about building up the immune system is rubbish and that there is no evidence for that. Obviously its personal choice but i am definitely going for bottle, i think that breast feeding will cause a lot of problems excessive tiredness and could play a part in depression as you are constantly tied to the baby, for me anyways, plus it allows my husband to bond with the baby as much as me.

Hesty don't feel like that, like ninja kitty said it is personal choice x x

Thanks Sue and Ninja, really appreciate the comments.

Sometimes made to feel like I should be marched through streets with red cross on to show I'm going to be a bad mummy! I know this issue is a hot topic but really wish people would respect others opinions and feelings. I don't mean anyone here, just face to face.

I am lucky I have a really understanding midwife.

xx

I know this issue is a hot topic but really wish people would respect others opinions and feelings. I don't mean anyone here, just face to face.

xx

Totally agree with you. It's a personal choice and everyone should respect each others decision :) x

Hesty - I am leaning very much towards bottled feeding myself and I have personal reasons for this. Unfortunately the breastfeeding initiative can sometimes feel forced upon mums. I've found if you are adamant one way or another health professionals appear to leave it and respect your wishes - bit if you are undecided that is when I think some health professionals try to push it on you.

Each to their own though - you have to do what you think it right for you and your baby.

Thanks for all your replies on here ladies xx

Dont worry hesty :hugs: nobody thinks your a bad mum, its a very personal thing, nobody should be judged for bottle feeding :hugs: xxx

Hesty - you definitely should be feeling like a bad mum, and no-one should be forcing their opinions on you. We all have to make our own choices based on how we feel.

Its great that you have an understanding midwife.

xxx

I am going to try to BF this time, I will also be expressing so my boys & hubby can join in. I also have the problem that I will be returning back to work in Feb & my mum will be having LO so need to be expressing by then!

I bottle fed both my boys, 1 is very healthy but my younger one has bad asthma, this may be genetic tho as my mum & dad have asthma and so does my husband. However I now know they believe BF can reduce the risk, so this is my main reason for really wanting too! If I cant do it, I cant do it! I certainly wont be beating myself up over it!

I shall be bottle feeding as I have to go back on my arthritis medication asap and I never liked the idea of breast with my first son. xxx

bottle feeds for me, a doctor told me that cow & gate is as good for the baby as breast milk and that old wives tales about building up the immune system is rubbish and that there is no evidence for that. Obviously its personal choice but i am definitely going for bottle, i think that breast feeding will cause a lot of problems excessive tiredness and could play a part in depression as you are constantly tied to the baby, for me anyways, plus it allows my husband to bond with the baby as much as me.

ur doctor is a complete moron, you should report him to the GMC for those shocking lies. There is piles of evidence for breastfeeding building the immune system. It's advised by the WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION. It is actually known to help combat post natal depression not cause it. As for excessive tiredness and being tied to the baby, sorry to break it to ya, but you're in for that either way.

There is loads of evidence about breastfeeding! Look up nestle and Africa... Should be enlightening. Regardless of what one person says to you its basic common sense that babies are born designed for human milk, not dehydrated, rehydrated cows milk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back