• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Birth plan - anyone thinking that far ahead?

Jayjay027

Reaction score
After my 20wk scan last week, we were sent to a parentcraft session to speak to the midwife and book our antenatal classes. During this time, the mw asked me about my birth plan and discussed some options with me.

I've been giving it a lot of thought over the last few days, and I've decided that I would like to labour in the pool, and then when I'm dilated enough, come out of the pool for an epidural.

Just wondering if anyone else has thought about their birth plan and what you've decided? X

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I've been thinking about a birth plan. I originally thought I'd go for a water birth as its supposed to lessen the potential for tearing and is quite relaxing. BUT then I found out that you can only have gas and air in the pool and being realistic, I think I'm going to want more pain relief than just gas and air!!

So I'll probably go for an epidural. I've also heard gas and air can make some people quite sick and I hate being sick.

My worry about being in the pool is that you can dilate quite quickly and miss the window for an epidural, which scares me a bit if I'm honest.

Its really confusing!
xx

My worry about being in the pool is that you can dilate quite quickly and miss the window for an epidural, which scares me a bit if I'm honest.

Its really confusing!
xx

Well my mw failed to mention that particular piece of info!! Maybe its time for me to rethink lol x

I've not even given it any thought! I think ill keep an open mind because anything can change plus i think if we set our mind on something, if we cant have it we will be disappointed

I know I'm way early yet lol.

But I've been thinking about it all along really.
My hospital has a labour ward (obviously) and a birthing unit two seconds down the corridor, where as before the new hospital was built, the nearest birthing unit was in Honiton like 20 odd miles (I think) away from the maid RD&E!

I'm thinking about a water birth too as I'm a water baby and I think it would be really relaxing for me and the baby, and I wanna go for just gas and air if I can help it, I'll probably end up wussing out and having more pain relief but I wanna almost feel the pain really of me giving birth, as I know it'll be worth it!
(that sounds weird!)

But you never know, when I'm giving birth I will probably change my mind!! xx

I want the whole thing in the pool, always have, but especially now because of my spd. If I struggle I will come out for pethidine, but I can't have an epidural either way.
It has been hinted on several occasions that I may be taken early for various reasons, so if I'm induced my water birth may go out the window!! Planned c-section is also a possibility because of spd but I'd rather avoid that if possible xx

Heya Hun,

I have been thinking about this a lot too.... I have decided that whilst I would like to try gas and air for as long as possible, I havn't done this before and I have not got a clue how I will progress and react to it all!

I would like a water birth too in hospital and I will be starting Natal Hypnotherapy sessions soon so I will be guided through what I percieve to be an 'ideal labour'. Also I am doing Antenal Yoga classes which focus on breathing and core strength....I am however fully open to an Epi if needed!

Long story short.... for once in my life I am not going to try and over plan anything! I would like the above. Also I would like hubby to be the first to tell me what we have (team yellow and all) and he would like to cut the cord. Other than that I am hoping and praying that we have a good midwife to guide me through as best as possible!

xx

Last edited:

Its really confusing!
xx

Well my mw failed to mention that particular piece of info!! Maybe its time for me to rethink lol x

I'd check, but a friend of mine went from 3cm to 9cm in a little over an hour just from going in the water and she missed her window for an epidural as she was too far gone to get the guy there to administer it and for it to take effect. She could just be one of those small number of cases that it actually happens to. I wouldnt mind this if I defo didnt want an epidural but I dont want to rule it out either.
xx

Ideally, I'm thinking water birth too then popping out to have baby using pethodine. But because of my suspected SPD which I have to go see a professional about on Thursday, I'm just a little worried that it may 1) Limit my wants for when I give birth 2) Mean I have to be induced early and so not get the plan I wish for :(. Oh pregnancy you complicated fellow!!

:blue:Member Of Team Blue:blue:

Its really confusing!
xx

I'd check, but a friend of mine went from 3cm to 9cm in a little over an hour just from going in the water and she missed her window for an epidural as she was too far gone to get the guy there to administer it and for it to take effect. She could just be one of those small number of cases that it actually happens to. I wouldnt mind this if I defo didnt want an epidural but I dont want to rule it out either.
xx

I think this is correct ladies, my SIL went from 4-10cm's in 50 minutes:shock: with her second child (it wasn't a water birth though) and she missed the 'window' for an Epi....

I decided from day 1 that i'm having an epi (wuss i am but i know whats coming lol) not having gas and air, it has a funny dry sweet taste to it and it just made me gag last time, in fact i threw the mouth piece at my poor OH and told him i werent having that shit :rofl: just bricking it in case i manage the pain better this time and get passed the cut off point to have the epi :shock: oh my days! xx

I had both my los in a birth centre so no option for epi but I wanted a water birth with both but my 1st the pools were in use and wouldn't have been able to anyway as back to back with low heart rate. My second I went in got checked was 5 cm mw litrally took her gloves of and I was pushing, the pool was only a quater full so no time to wait for it. Births never go to plan I did both on just gas and air and really proud of that but dont over think it or get ur heart set on something it very rairly goes to plan. You can always try pool and gas and air if you miss window for epi then you are so close to having lo that last little bit you will cope with. Its scary but your body is amazing and copes so well you suprise yourself.

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk

I've already said if I can I want the birthing centre and I hope to do it all as natually as possible!! Ideally in a birthing pool...

Obviously I have a lot of time to change my mind and of course I could end up needing to be on the labour ward depending on how this pregnancy progresses.

I want to look into hypnobirthing and meditation techniques to help in labour though...

I think I will have the injection to deliver the placenta and Vitamin K shot for baby though!

I can't believe I am saying this as I used the yell at the TV when someone on OBEM would say "I only want gas and air" :shock:

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
I want a natural birth with as many pain control methods as possible but If I can I will avoid epidural. I don't like the idea of the pool or a birthing center, I don't want a natural delivery for the placenta and I want the vitamin k shot for LO.
If offered a c section for any reason I will take the offer with no questions. Same ofc if needed induction.

As in Norway there is no regular test for strept. B I will try to get one private If possible.

JayJay - I want exactly the same as you! I've been thinking about it a lot, and I think the water will be really relaxing and calming to begin with, but then when it all gets a bit too much, opt for the epidural!

I want a natural birth with as many pain control methods as possible but If I can I will avoid epidural. I don't like the idea of the pool or a birthing center, I don't want a natural delivery for the placenta and I want the vitamin k shot for LO.
If offered a c section for any reason I will take the offer with no questions. Same ofc if needed induction.

As in Norway there is no regular test for strept. B I will try to get one private If possible.

Does anyone know if they test baby for strep B as standard here in the UK?

I thought they only tested if Mum shows any signs of carrying Strep B

xxxxxxxx

The test for us i meant Carnat. There is no reason to test the babies I they are ok :)

The test for us i meant Carnat. There is no reason to test the babies I they are ok :)

Doh!! That is what you get for tri-hopping :lol:

Are Mum's tested as standard in UK??? or only if they show signs of infection?

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I was quite open minded first time round and had my son with just gas and air. But I did end up with a tear and had a spinal to repair. I was worried about an epidural but tbh I would have one this time round as they are no where near as scary as they tell you. My only worry this time is that this baby will be born faster than my first and I might not get time for an epidural should I want one! My son was born 40mins after my waters broke!

Wow some of the responses here have really provided food for thought!
I'm not seeing the mw again until the end of the month, so will have a long think about it all.
Obviously I know that it could all go tits up and I could end up with something totally different than what I planned, but ultimately, I'd like to have a plan in place anyway.

I do know for a fact though that I absolutely don't plan on being a martyr - I want drugs! Lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back