Birth Plan

Mrs CW

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone has started writing their birth plan? (I may be a bit late starting!) I had my first NCT class last weekend and we went through all the options for pain relief etc so I've started to think about my birth plan. I really would like a birthing pool for pain relief but the hospital here only has one which is obviously first come first serve. Would you still put it on your birth plan if there was a possiblity that you would not be able to use it?
I'm not keen on the other pain relief options apart from gas and air but I want to keep an open mind. Me and OH seemed to pick the same options for everything and I've spoken to him about what I want.
Also do you put in the plan about delayed cord clamping and skin to skin etc?

Thanks

Cat x x x

Hiya, yeah you do need to put skin to skin etc, I would put the birthing pool down too x

Thank you, I need to write it out properly. Its good to know what I should include x x x

With my first I had things like pain relief, skin to skin, birth partner, lights dim as baby comes, how I want to feed, position I wanted to be in (went out the window lol) music. Don't worry if it's not on your list, if you ask for it, and it's not on the list they won't say no x

Heres a copy of one I was given at my NCT class. Hope it helps:

This plan is a reflection of my wishes for the birth but is in no way inflexible. I understand that for many reasons my plans may need to change to suit the needs of myself and Emily.

Induction – If it comes to it, I would not like to be induced any earlier than the 16th February.

Companion – I would like my husband David to be with me at all times. Should I not be in a position to make an informed decision, I will trust his judgment to do what he feels is best for myself and the baby. I would not like to have groups of medical students involved in the birth.

Monitoring – I would like monitoring of the baby to be kept to a minimum unless there is cause for concern. If a short, constant monitoring period is required I would prefer to sit upright or stand rather than lying down. I would prefer to be vaginally examined only when absolutely necessary.

Mobility – I would like to be as mobile as possible during labour and free to try various positions for both first and second stage. Ideally I would like to remain as upright as possible to allow gravity to take its course.

Coaching – I would appreciate being informed of what is happening during my labour and having all processes explained to me before they are undertaken. Should myself and/or David need to make a decision regarding intervention I would appreciate reasons, all alternate options and amount of time available to make a decision being explained in advance.

Pain Relief – I have a TENS machine which I would like to use for as long as it is effective. In addition I would like to have access to Entonox and possibly a hot bath for further pain relief for as long as possible. I would like to avoid epidural or pethidine altogether.

Second Stage – Gentle support and firm guidance on when to push and how to minimize any damage through tearing would be appreciated. I would like to be advised if an episiotomy seems necessary and all efforts made to avoid this being the case.

Intervention - If assistance is needed, please use suction rather than forceps.

Theatre – If it is absolutely necessary to undergo a c-section I would like David with me. Please use a spinal block. I would like the catheter inserted after anesthetic.

Post Birth – I would like Emily to be placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery and have skin-to-skin contact for as long as possible, and to allow her to find my breast. We would like to take photographs but not of the moment of birth.

Umbilical Cord – Please wait until the umbilical cord has stopped pulsating before allowing it to be cut. David does not wish to cut the cord.

Placenta – I want to deliver the placenta naturally and without the aid of drugs, unless absolutely necessary.

Vitamin K – I would like vitamin K to be administered to the baby via injection.

Feeding – I would like to breastfeed Emily. I would like her to self-attach but if this does not happen then I would appreciate some help getting her latched on and getting my positioning right.

That's a very good example... Thank you for that... Did you get told you should have a couple of copies? Can't remember why now lol x

What a great and clear birth plan.

Pity the staff at the maternity hospital i had my DS couldnt read or hear!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

That's a very good example... Thank you for that... Did you get told you should have a couple of copies? Can't remember why now lol x

Yep have 2: one for MW and one for u and OH :)

Thanks for that plan it's great! It's my project for the weekend. I want to have a basic plan at least but I know things don't always go as you've planned as you say Kerry. I'm sorry things didn't go to plan for you furryheart. X x x

This plan is a reflection of my wishes for the birth but is in no way inflexible. I understand that for many reasons my plans may need to change to suit the needs of myself and Emily.

Induction – If it comes to it, I would not like to be induced any earlier than the 16th February.

Companion – I would like my husband David to be with me at all times. Should I not be in a position to make an informed decision, I will trust his judgment to do what he feels is best for myself and the baby. I would not like to have groups of medical students involved in the birth.

Monitoring – I would like monitoring of the baby to be kept to a minimum unless there is cause for concern. If a short, constant monitoring period is required I would prefer to sit upright or stand rather than lying down. I would prefer to be vaginally examined only when absolutely necessary.

Mobility – I would like to be as mobile as possible during labour and free to try various positions for both first and second stage. Ideally I would like to remain as upright as possible to allow gravity to take its course.

Coaching – I would appreciate being informed of what is happening during my labour and having all processes explained to me before they are undertaken. Should myself and/or David need to make a decision regarding intervention I would appreciate reasons, all alternate options and amount of time available to make a decision being explained in advance.

Pain Relief – I have a TENS machine which I would like to use for as long as it is effective. In addition I would like to have access to Entonox and possibly a hot bath for further pain relief for as long as possible. I would like to avoid epidural or pethidine altogether.

Second Stage – Gentle support and firm guidance on when to push and how to minimize any damage through tearing would be appreciated. I would like to be advised if an episiotomy seems necessary and all efforts made to avoid this being the case.

Theatre – If it is absolutely necessary to undergo a c-section I would like David with me. Please use a spinal block. I would like the catheter inserted after anesthetic.

Post Birth – I would like Emily to be placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery and have skin-to-skin contact for as long as possible, and to allow her to find my breast. We would like to take photographs but not of the moment of birth.

Umbilical Cord – Please wait until the umbilical cord has stopped pulsating before allowing it to be cut. David does not wish to cut the cord.

Placenta – I want to deliver the placenta naturally and without the aid of drugs, unless absolutely necessary.

Vitamin K – I would like vitamin K to be administered to the baby via injection.

Feeding – I would like to breastfeed Emily. I would like her to self-attach but if this does not happen then I would appreciate some help getting her latched on and getting my positioning right.

That's fab, I'm gonna steal it. Bar the David bit, people would start to ask questions :lol: x

That's fab, I'm gonna steal it. Bar the David bit, people would start to ask questions :lol: x

:rofl: me too. OH mite raise an eyebrow!

The NHS Choices website has a really good template for your birth plan as well which is really easy to use and fill in, then when it's complete you can just print out a few copies. I would definitely go in with several copies of the plan. Yes you need one for you and one for the midwife on duty when you initially arrive, but if you are there at shift change over it's possible the copy you gave the midwife can get lost in the handover, so have some spares to give to the new staff on duty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back