Being a woman and a mum means tough choices

positivity :)

Reaction score
I've recently updated my CV and when I read it over I was impressed with it lol! so I decided to test the water with it and applied for some very well paid jobs at a more senior level that i am currently, i assumed I wouldn't hear back..............!

well i've just had a conversation with one of them and they are interested to see me :shock:

Here is the dilemma - the salary and role is a.mazing!! really excellent and could enhance our quality of life big time. BUT i am only 7 months into a 12 month maternity leave with Will and i will obviously have to cut this short.

I've thought about taking it (if i were lucky enough to get it) and i can honestly say i'm not quite ready to put him into childcare full time. but then, there is potential for my mum or OH's mum to have him all week (they would both leave their current jobs to do this so we would have to pay whichever one it was).

I just don't know what to do? part of me thinks if i got this interview there will be others come January but what if this is meant to be?? i'm literally looking down at him on the mat right now and i just can't imagine leaving him. .if i stay in my current job the plan is to return part time. xx

WHy dont you go for the interview, find out a bit more about the job first?? YOu might get there and hate it so you dont need to worry?? If you love it then you have to decide?? Having gone back for a few days this week, I know I cant leave my lo so im going to be a sahm but I cud have gone and wanted to go back full time iykwim? Maybe just test the water??
xxx

Bit of a cheeky question but how much more money is it? Would it make a big difference? And do you plan to go back full time eventually anyway. There's no harm in going for it and seeing how you feel if offered :) It's great that your mum can take him and mil chicky. x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tough decision, but well done to you! What are the mat leave rules like there? Here the mom and dad are allowed to share the year off, so if I was in your situation I woukd ask dh to take the remaining 5 months. If you can't do that, I wouod just look at the job opportunities and try to decide if you will have other similar opportunities in January, and is it a job you will really love?

thanks ladies! i suppose you are right, go for the interview and see? Laura the job is paying £40-50k, i currently earn 27k!! so it is a significant increase.

you know the other thing that bothers me is the fact i kind of keep wondering what people will think of me if i did get it and took it and made the decision to go back to work early, i know most people would understand but i'm sure some would think it wrong iykwim? I was intending on going back to full time when Will is 2/3 yo. xx

Last edited:
I would go for the interview and see what it's like, am due to go back to work in September and am dreading putting ruby in nursery it's only one day a week and the other 2 she will be with my mum but I don't feel ready to leave her with someone who isn't family if that makes sense.

Xx

I would also go and have a chat. See what the crack is and then decide if you have to x

It's a toughie that, I would give anything to be able to go part time but the sad fact is we wouldn't be able to live on just OHs wage.

So I am myself applying for a promotion at work as I figured if I have to be away from my LO I might as well get paid as much as possible for it.

It won't harm doing the interview, you don't have to accept if you change your mind. But if you don't go for it you'll never know.

Just to put this in to the mix there is never any jobs in January as over Christmas people want to join a gym and change jobs. If you could wait until March you might be luckier.

Just something to think about - sorry if you've already factored it in but at that wage you'll be on 40% tax.

Might be worth actually working out what you're take home would be on the higher wage.
When my pay went up to take me into higher tax band I didn't end up with much more xx

Hard decision though x for me I'd have to say stay at home

I'd go for the interview and have a chat, then you can think things through fully once you have the full details xxx

I'd def go, I'm thinking of doing the same to pay for a good private education.

Thats an amazing increase and opportunity. I'd say follow your heart and head and sod what anyone else thinks of your decision. At the end of the day, regardless of whether you're a sahm, part-time or full time worker, you'll be doing what you think is best for your family.

Would def see what the tax implications would be though. Xxx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think go to the interview and see what happens but I agree with what you said there's every chance you'll get a similar interview further down the line.

I'm going back just before LO is 8 months only part time mind you, sod what everyone else says bills have to be paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back