Baby Signing

titch

Reaction score
Hi girls!

Im not sure if this belongs in this section? Is baby signing 'alternative' still??

Anyway, just wanted to see if any mums were doing it, Im a baby sign teacher and thought we should have a thread for it :)

I did baby sign with DS and am planning on doing it again with Jellytot :p xxx Great idea for a thread x

I'm hoping they do baby signing at our childrens centre as i would like to do it

XX

I did this with dd and it was brilliant! It worked soooo well, i remember being out with her one day when she was in her buggy and she signed "listen, bird" honestly i couldve cried!!

I didnt go to any baby signing class though, learnt it all from Mr Tumble haha! Planning on doing it with this baby too

Aww Daisy that sounds lovely :love:

When my boy was 1 he was saying "hair pay" over and over, we couldnt work out what he was saying, he kept pointing to the sky and so Id say "yes the moons out" (one of those days with the moon and the sun) he huffed at me and signed "aeroplane" as he said it. I looked up and sure enough there was one of those vapour trails in the sky, he'd noticed. That was the first time he told me something I didnt already know :cloud9:

I did this with dd and it was brilliant! It worked soooo well, i remember being out with her one day when she was in her buggy and she signed "listen, bird" honestly i couldve cried!!

I didnt go to any baby signing class though, learnt it all from Mr Tumble haha! Planning on doing it with this baby too

*ahem* there are baby signing dvds available. But I wouldnt try to sell them on here as its against the rules. Im just saying like... :whistle: :samsmum:

I'm interested in this for me and my son - what age should we start going to a group and how does it work? Grateful for any info x

theyre usually ready for classes at about 6 months, it helps if they can sit up (with you right behind them) you can start at home from birth though, its never too early to give your baby's brain as much stimulation as possible.

Your brain grows at the fastest rate in the first year of life so everything you can do helps them hugely.

I go to group, but lo really doesn't pay any attention to it. He just uses it as an excuse to have a run around! Other children in the group have started signing though so it does work!! Just my son isn't interested in it at all! If it wasn't my friend taking the class I probably wouldn't go.

I work with a deaf and autistic child so sign as part of my job, I'm planning on introducing baby sign to my little one as soon as I can, hoping my boys mummy will still be doing her mum and baby groups when the time is right!!! X

Layla doesn't talk and just starting babbling due to delayed developent, been going to signing class she doesn't sign back but seams to get what I mean, Think its great idea x

We started our class at 7weeks, G made her first sign at 3.5months (dog). And now does about 10.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

It's definitely something I want to learn

Please excuse any typos from my fat fingers!
Tapatalk madness!

Definitely want my LO to learn some signing. I have started with a few signs already - just 'mummy', 'daddy', 'eat/food', 'milk', 'hungry' and 'nappy'. She's nowhere near signing back, but it doesn't harm to start early. I have signed her up for a course from 6 months.

I was thinking about that but with Amelie raised as trilingual maybe I will mess her even more?????

I was thinking about that but with Amelie raised as trilingual maybe I will mess her even more?????

absolutely not! It will provide consistency across the languages. When you say "milk" in any of those 3 languages the gesture will always be the same, she will gain the concept of different languages having the same meaning better if you use gesture too.

For the girls who are worried their babies arent signing back, bear in mind the fact that you are signing to them helps them no end! They will remember and recognise the words you say much more easily, even if they never sign back ( which Im sure they will eventually BTW) their vocabulary and language development will be so much better than if you never signed at all. Youre doing a lovely thing for your LO no matter if they sign back or not :love:

PM me to go on my FB and Ive got tips and video clips about baby signing going up every day

I did signing with DS but he never really seemed to take to it and is now completely vocal so we haven't signed with him in a long time. He's very forward with his speech and I've often wondered if the signing helped this despite him not seeming interested? I was a bit upset he didn't bother with it and if I ever have any more children I'd give it another go.

I did signing with DS but he never really seemed to take to it and is now completely vocal so we haven't signed with him in a long time. He's very forward with his speech and I've often wondered if the signing helped this despite him not seeming interested? I was a bit upset he didn't bother with it and if I ever have any more children I'd give it another go.

Im sure it helped him no end! A lot of people think that its 'not working' if baby doesnt sign back but most of the benefits come from them watching you sign. Be proud of how you helped your boy be so clever :love:

What age should i start with Aaron titch?

Please excuse any typos from my fat fingers!
Tapatalk madness!

we say from about 6 months theyre really ready to absorb it all but theres no harm starting early, its just hard when theyre younger cos you rarely have your hands free. If you do the songs with actions they focus better on you and listen better. The songs I teach in class are to do with daily routines so we have songs (and signs) for change your nappy, bathtime, bedtime etc... starting to anticipate whats going to happen is a key step in their cognitive development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back