baby signing

Gem & Leland

Reaction score
weve done our first group this morning ,she does it while singing songs , it was brill , think leland enjoyed and it and meeting up with the mums i met in my new mums baby group . im really enjoyign starting these baby groups :oops: and cant wait to learn more baby signing !

anyone else doing it ? does it ? can any mums tell me who've been doing it a while how there lil ones get on with it and has it helped ?

my LO is to little to get a lot of benefit from it but he loves seeing the otehr babies and I much prefer the structure that the class has that just a mum and baby group when I might have to :shock: make small talk :shock: (i'm quite shy)

we go to tinytalk which is great - OH and I sign anyway so we could have just taught him I guess but it is noce to go out :)

this is it , ive lived here 5 yrs and meet noone and now im meeting peeps and so is leland , well he bashes them roun d the head with his flying arms lmao

I tried it with DD, had some little flash cards and everything, but was too lazy to keep it up (started a bit too late really) but am looking out for a class near me - ditto you with the not knowing anyone :oops: It's like I'm a hermit!

I cannot express how beneficial signing was with Tia. I started signing with her after I saw an American documentary on it while I was in the States... It wasn't trendy back then... :rotfl: but I'd had loads of experience using makaton with my brother and sister so it wasn't a huge leap for me.

We didn't know that Tia had hearing problems at the time. As she got older, more and more health professionals said that it was because she was signing that delayed her speech until she went for a hearing test and it came back that she had a 90% hearing loss in her left ear and an 80% hearing loss in her right ear due to glue ear... Signing doesn't delay speech... She was later placed in a special nursery in Woolwich where .... guess what they used to help the children speak????

... Mackaton. :rotfl: :rotfl: The irony... Tia was already skilled in it... :rotfl: :rotfl:

So yes... without it I think we would have had more frustration tantrums..

Once they start being able to speak and be understood using speech, they tend to drop the signs tbh... but in those times before then, its absolutely worth it... :)

I already sign with lil miss... I do nursery rhymes mostly... but I also sign things that we see that are simple everyday things... pussy cat... teddy... sister... yes.... no.... daddy... mummy.... wash face... dirty... all clean.... night night...

Sadly there are no mother and baby groups here like that :(

this is called hullabalu lol and i didnt know it was signing , a few girls from the baby group our hv does ( we get a 6 week group meet with new mums ) went and i joined them today just for meeting up and i knew it was singing etc , i was pleasantly suprised thats is singing / signing and cant wait to learn more !

how diff are the signs to real sign language ? i use to knwo that as i use to date a deaf person who dtaught me but i was 8 years ago and i cant remember much !

I'm definitely going to give signing a go, but the course at our surestart centre only takes them once they're 6 months and over - and I have no clue how I would go about starting to get him used to it myself!

tiny talk use BSL signs which is why I went there - otherwise I'd just get mixed up! other places use a mix, makaton or "intuitive" signs - ones they make up because it seems obvious - like sleep/drink etc - these are usually pretty close to BSL for obvious reasons but a few would be different.

If you don't have a BSL or makaton background I don't think it really matters which signs you use as long as you are consistent :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back