Baby Signing - Come chat about it here!

Terrie

Reaction score
Baby Signing.

What is signing?

As a part of typical development before speech is well established, babies naturally use a combination of gestures and sounds to help their parents understand them. For example they may point, shake their heads, clap their hands and wave "bye-bye". Once your baby is doing this it is a good time to introduce some extra gestures to help your baby communicate. It's easy to do and your baby will really enjoy it! Why not try milk, more, change nappy, or tired? Baby signing is wonderfully rewarding and fantastic fun.

How to begin signing with your baby.

It is best to introduce one sign at a time, repeating the sign in a number of ways. ALWAYS say the word whilst signing, say the word slower than the rest of the sentance, emphasising it and signing it. i would introduce around 5 basic signs at first, repeating them often and slowely build up the vocab from there.

Basic Signs.

Milk - make your hand into an upright fist then open and close 2 times
Food - make a 'duck' shape with your fingers (like youre gonna do quack quack) then tap the side of your mouth 2 times
All gone - make both hands into upright fists and place together, then pull apart, opening as you go
More - make your hand into an upright fist then place your other hand flat on top
Bed/Tired - place your hands flat together then lift them to your head resting your head on them like you are sleeping.
Change Nappy - make both your hands into upright fists and place together, then rock them from side to side (this is the sign for change but is used for change nappy)
Nappy - using your middle and pointing fingers only on both hands hold out in front of you and point to the floor then make a folding gesture

these signs are your basic signs for newborn to 7months

after that you can start introducing new signing groups:
Food
Animals
Transport
Objects
People
Emotions *v important for tantrums!*
Instructions (wait, stop, no, sorry)

18 months plus
Linking words (and, soon, etc)
Colours
Potty Training
Alphabet

Fun ways to sign

nursery rhymes and song are a fab way to engage your child in signing. for instance Old Mcdonald had a farm... this song can include the signs:

newborn - 12mo:
cow - make two cow horns coming out your head
pig - make your hand into a fist shape and hold to your nose and twist
duck - 'duck' shape with hand open and close
sheep - make swirling motions on your cheeks with both your pointing fingers
dog - using your middle and pointing fingers only on both hands hold out in front of you and point to the floor.
cat - stroke both your cheeks with your pointing and middle fingers from your mouth to your ears.

then from 12mo:
farmer - make a pot belly gesture!
farm - with a flat hand make a circular motion to the side of your body

ok so thats just an example there are many other nursery rhymes and songs!

What are the benifets of signing?
  • Helping to understand your baby's needs, thoughts and ideas
  • Reducing frustration (for baby and parent!)
  • Enhancing early vocabulary and understanding
  • Encouraging the development of speech
  • Enriching your baby's relationships
  • Building confidence and self-esteem
  • Stimulating your baby's intellectual and emotional development

will add more info after ive had my dinner!!!

Food Signs:

Food:

IMG_7518.jpg

Sweets:

IMG_7486.jpg

Biscuit:

IMG_7487.jpg

Orange: (open and close the hand)

IMG_7485.jpg

Animal Signs:

Tiger:

IMG_7514.jpg

Monkey:

IMG_7515.jpg

Sheep:

IMG_7526.jpg

Dog:

IMG_7476.jpg

Cat:

IMG_7477.jpg

Pig:

IMG_7471.jpg

Horse:

IMG_7481.jpg

Frog: (flicking the fingers out 3 times)

IMG_7473.jpg

Basic Signs:

Tired/Sleep:

IMG_7498.jpg

Drink:

IMG_7508.jpg

Juice: (slide hand down chest wiggling fingers)

IMG_7505.jpg

All gone:

IMG_7519.jpg

No: (slide hand from your chest out to the side)

IMG_7488.jpg

Stop:

IMG_7491.jpg

will add more soon!

them pics are FAB!!! Me and Jacob dont do signing (yet :lol:) but we do the same gestures for sleep and all gone xx

yes Makaton is an exellent form of signing for children and babies!!

Is that Makaton signing? [oops, posted at thesame time, just seen the above posts]
I learnt some of this at college.
I LOVE those pictures, it's such a great example!

Congratulations on having such talented kiddies!!
[And Mr. Tumble is brill!!]

Last edited:
makaton is a form of simple signing, from this British Sign Lanuage (BSL) can be intergrated

I actually find Mr tumble quite creepy :rofl: But not Justin if that makes sence?!? but i like the message he puts across. Jacob watches it with wonder everytime its on. OH just takes the Pi$$ when i suggest baby signing classes. It will prove him really wrong if it helps his developement eh? xx

makaton is a form of simple signing, from this British Sign Lanuage (BSL) can be intergrated

Makaton is tonnes easier to learn, though, I found, espcially if you're only learning yourself as that you can teach baby iykwim?

Also, they use Makaton to communicate with a lot of special needs / learning difficulty children, who find BSL too difficult to manage.

Makaton is tonnes easier to learn, though, I found, espcially if you're only learning yourself as that you can teach baby iykwim?

Also, they use Makaton to communicate with a lot of special needs / learning difficulty children, who find BSL too difficult to manage.

yup :thumbup:

My mum told me it was Makaton as she is a social worker dealing with elderly (some using BSL) and some adults with special needs. Makaton seems perfect for kids. Hebe LOVES Something Special and I just got her and my nephew a couple of DVDs. She watches and trys to do the signs and turns to me and says 'you sign!' :lol:

rhys knows every single episode off by heart and often shows ffion a sign and then says 'you sign' lmao!

Aw those pics are great x I didn't know anything about stuff like baby signing etc when I had Summer but working in a nursery I learnt loads of stuff and would love to do baby signing with Seb when he arrives x

Aww this is fab!! :D

I might make little notes and just practice doing a few with FOB to get used to it, (still got a little while until babys here!) but Im deffinatly going to give this a go. Those pictures are ace! He seems to really enjoy it as well :) xxx

We did some of this in the parentcraft classes.
the health visitors were saying how good it was and how it has been proven to boost development :)
We will hopefully be using this when bubs comes along xxxxx

Good luck! I'm sure ava will love it x

Hello!

I've done baby signing with my little girl since she was 6 months old. She's now a year old. We went to Talk first. There are lots of other companies. They have a puppet and you sing lots of nursery rhymes and you learn the signs with them.

Lula loves it. She regularly signs play and eat and tree???? :eh: and more and more each day. It takes a while to get into using them everyday but once you do they soon pick it up. It took about 3/4 months before she started signing but now there is no stopping her :)

I'd recommend it to anyone. You can do it from a book I just found the classes more motivational for me as I'm a lazy cow!!! :)

aw its so nice to hear of people signing with their children!!

if youre ever stuck on any signs just post on here and i can tell you what the sign is :D :D

Wow terrie, your pics are fab

I'm guessing some of the names thrown in are tele shows could you recommend a good one for me to get on DVD for jack to watch :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back