• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Baby Jakob is back in hospital (From Cassi) *updated pg3+4*

Hi.

firstly thanks to sami for posting, updating and all you're support i really appriciate it. and thanks for everyone elses lovely wishes.

we got out today finally, didnt think we would as his weight hadnt gone up and the nurse thought he looked more jaundice.
but the doc did the rounds and said she is sure with his progress in feeding the weight will come and the jaundice levels are more than yesterday but not too high, they never went high enough for need of treatment.

basically we went in as he was really sleepy and couldnt be woken for feeds whatever you did, he has lost 11% and when awake at night wouldnt take to the breast at all and if he did latch on it would be for 2 seconds then he would fall asleep youd put him down hed cry again it was a vicious circle :(.

well the mw sent us in to hosp for him to be checked n they said his blood sugar was low and he was dehydrated and slightly jaundice so they said they wanted to put him on iv fluids to rehydrate him for the night and gave me a breast pump to try and express and get my milk in, i would use the pump for ages at a time but only get like 20-30ml colostrum (sp?) it was so frustrating. j was taken off iv the next day and given y colustrum via tube and then topped up with formula, at nights when he would wake for abit they would try n help me latch him on to no avail to begin with but slowly got better with time. my milk started to come in day 6 as i was expessing loads so it didnt dry up.

and finally on tuesday night i managed to just breast feed him for every feed and not need to use the tube once . then wednesday i went the whole 24 hours with only breast feeding him, i had got a notebook and was loggin everything. They checked his weight wednesday morning though and it had gone down! i was so shocked, he had been feeding more! then today they weighed him again and it was exactly the same even though he had even more feeds, but the doctor said that because he is feeding ok now and dosnt need the tube she is sure the weight will come given time and that she thinks im doing a great job! :D

The IV fluids were given because he hadnt yet got his appetite he was abit slow on that sense and he needed something to rehydrate him and get his energy up abit rather than be fed, then the next day when they had got him rehydrated he was put to food and from then on it was feeding that was concentrated on.

The doctors were great and would of kept me in as long as it took for me to start breast feeding, they asked me what i wanted to do and i told them i really wanted to breast feed but would do whatever was best for jakob and they really endevoured to help me not have to give into the bottles and it worked. I went down to the breast feeding clinic for hints and tips on positioning etc, and they noticed mastitis but i already have anti b's for my womb infection so hopefully they should clear it up aswell.
but if it dosnt clear (my infection) i might need surgery to remove excess :( so i hope it dosnt come to that!

Jakob is still abit jaundice and has to be woken every 3 hourly for feeds cause he still dosnt have his appetite properly and wont wake up for feeding yet. But he can be woken up which is a start because before even a bath didnt work!!! and he is feeding, in fact he only just lay down to sleep as he was on my lap feeding whilst typing this!

Im so happy i didnt give up and am really happy i got such supportive nurses and doctors and the breast feeding clinic was great!

The health visitors will keep extra eyes on his weight etc and hopefully it will go up.

he looks like he has a wee tan but as long as he keeps getting regular feeds he should flush the jaundice out in no time!

thanks again for all the kind comments and esp to sami for updating and the support you have given me...

I felt like a fish in a bowl stuck in there indefinatly for 6 days now! and im just happy to be out with my beautiful boy!

love cas xxxx

Aww well done honey u done a great job! I hope it doesnt come to surgery! Glad alls getting much better now for u guys! :cheer:
Love to your family hun xxx :hug:

aww hun im so happy that you're both out and at home!! you're doing a great job with him :D

hope ur infection clears up & you don't need surgery!

i bet you're so happy to be at home with your gorgeous little boy :D

love 2 all of you... :hug:

so glad you are both home hun and you are doing a great job :hug: xx

That's great Cassi, you're doing an excellent job!! :hug:

Great to hear that they have let you out, you'll feel more comfortable and relaxed at home.......get plenty of rest (if possible).

Love to you, your OH & more importantly Jakob.....hope you are feeling 100% soon x :hug:

I'm in awe! Sounds like you're doing an amazing job, well done you! Hope the uterine infection clears up soon, as and the mastitis too. I guess if Jakob has been having problems latching on becaue he's been sleepy that wont have helped there. So glad you're home now, and all doing well, such fantastic news. Also, it's lovely of you to share such things with us, as those of us with worries show that determination and perserverence can do wonders. Congratulations :D

Excellent news Cassi, glad to hear you are finally home.

Well done for peservering with the feeding! :hug:

Love to you all :D

Good on you mate, am pleased (and very impressed!) that you're being so strong.

Love to the little guy, hope to see some piccies soon! :D xxx

Fab news cassi, I'm so glad you got the help and support you needed with feeding, WELL DONE for keeping it up!

So glad he's home now so you can all settle down.

:hug:

Cassi well done!! Hats off to you hun, what you have just been through is not what we have in mind after birth eh, yet you have come through it and sound so very strong (even though I realise you're physically unwell at the moment).

Keep it going hun, you'll get there and so will wee Jakob. He looks such a handsome wee boy in your avatar pic.

So glad to hear you're ok

Lucy

Ahhh, I so feel for you, we went through exactly the same thing with Isaac. He didn't lose as much weight as Jakob but otherwise it was identical.

Well done you for sticking with the breast feeding as well. We weren't successful with it but I'm so pleased for you that it's taking off.

I hope Jakob now goes from strength to strength for you.

Great to see you back hun! You're doing so well and I'm glad you can breastfeed like you always wanted! If he's still a bit jaundice put the moses basket (if you have one) by a window or take him for a walk, the uv light really helps. Aaron was badly jaundice and I was just told to do that and it was gone in a day! His hospital picture makes him look like David Dickinson, he's got such a bad tan :D

Thanks very much, he is snoozing by the window right now hehe...

i keep trying to put pics on photobucketbut it goes for ages then fails ! so il make one of them montage things later and post it up...its hard been home again because i havnt got all the people around to help me but im sure it will come in time, im just so exhausted and scared that maybe he isnt getting enough food etc, and he hasnt done a poo in 2 days now! :( im going to give him some cooled boiled water later and see if that helps and yesterday i learn baby massage for constipation.

He was up all night again, even when fed he just moans because he drops his dummy, i spent an hour putting it back in every 2 minutes then i gave up and put him in bed with me..now he is asleep and will be untill tonight, i will have to wake him up by stripping him down every 3 hours and moving him about loads, it takes ages then he gets frustrated cause he is tired and it takes ages to latch on, and im so engorged i just leak everywhere, really loads! yesterday i filled up one of them avent breast shells in less than an hour! i hope things get a little better soon.

cas x

:hug: Cassi

Your wee has been through a lot and is still recovering now - both from birth (which is traumatic for all babies) and from his dehydration and jaundice post birth, he will get there just needs a bit of time.

I would have a nice hot bath and massage your boobs until they are comfy - do you think the fact you're really full makes it harder for him to latch?

You're doing great Cassi

Lucy

Hi

Hun glad yoru both okay we have missed you . Your doing such a great job too and things will get better i promise, its always heard when the milk comes in , but once things settle a bit itll be like it never happened.
Katrina :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back