Isaac's been in hospital with Intussusception

Redshoes

Reaction score
We've had an 'eventful' week, the terrible fact being that Isaac was admitted to hospital :cry:
Initially he was very grumpy and we thought it was teething, he's had quite terrible nights over the past week and a bit with his teething. Anyway it got to the stage where if he was moved, he screamed in pain :cry: :cry: :cry: So we rang NHS Direct who booked us an appointment with the out of hours surgery as it was 8pm, we got seen there and the Doc said to take him to A&E, we were a bit upset at this as we were going to take him there straight away anyway but thought they would have the necessary 'staff, facilities' at this our of hours surgery :cry:

At A&E they gave me some paracetamol to give to him as he had a high temp and he was just there, in his nappy, not attempting to move, it was so sad to see him like that, especially as he's never still unless he's asleep! We were then told by the Doc's that it was his tummy where the pain was coming from and that they believed it to be his bowel and so he needed scanning :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

He was then given a cannula, a needle in the back of his hand for any drip/antibitoics :cry: He was so brave for that, thankfully he didn't seem too upset by it as he didn't cry. He was then taken to a ward where he had a tube inserted into his nose to go through to his stomach, they had to hold him down while it was inserted, my poor baby :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

He was then taken to the scanning room, where 2 consultants were called in to decide if it was this bowel condition, Intussusception, which apparently effects about 10babies a year at our hospital. Turned out it was, but a rarer variation, and so they agreed to give him an air enama, which would basically move the lower bowel that had folded into itself, back out again, and stop the pain. They were scanning him for about 30mins and the whole time he was screaming in pain, it was so so so hard, I cannot imagine how hard it was for Isaac :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

My heart goes out to all Mum's and Dad's who have their babies need to be treated in hospital, it's the worst feeling in the world to know your baby is there in pain and it's the only way to make them better :cry: :hug: :cry:

He was given some morphine for the procedure so he was drowsey and we weren't allowed in the room for that either, and when he was brought back to us on the ward at some time after 3am he was obviously soooooooooooooooo sleepy, I just cradled him and he went straight to sleep, and thankfully the procedure worked, he's been poo'ing fine and he's hopefully now going to be fine, there's a tiny chance or recurrence but we're not thinking it'll happen to him :)

Anyways, that's what's been happening, we also found out he's a bit of a nurse charmer and weighs 24lb 9oz :) I'm amazed at how strong he was and how wonderfully quickly he is recovering from what must have been a very painful and confusing time for him. My baby boy is fine and so is his sibling, so the world is right again, thankyou for reading :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Oh poor Issac and poor you hun. I cant imagine how scary that must have been for you.
Im glad he is better now. :hug:

Oh no you poor things!!

Must have been awful, but I'm glad he's OK now.....

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Oh no, you poor thing, I cant begin to imagine what it must have been like for you. There is nothing worse in the world than watching your child suffer while you sit there helpless, its heart wrenching. So glad to hear he is okay now, and hope he stays well. Sounds like a very brave little boy x

oh that sounds like a nightmare. I hate it when LO cries when there is nothing wrong with her, so it must be a million times worse when you can see how much pain they are in.
Glad everything is alright now.

poor Isaac and poor you, I was bad enough watcvhing Cally get her jabs yesterday. It must have felt horrible watching your little boy being so ill but I am so glad he is better. Not surprised he charmed the nurses with that smile

How horrible for you all :hug: Glad he is doing much better now, is he still in hospital? :hug: :hug:

oh how awful for you all. Glad Lo is OK now :hug: :hug: :hug:

aww hun that must have been so scary for you, you feel so helpless when they are poorly don't you.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: for you and Isaac

Thats must have been horrible.

Hope he is all better now and stays that way :hug:

So sorry to hear of what you all went through it must be awful to see them in pain and not be able to take it away, I'm so glad he is ok now though! :hug:

that must have been so horrible for you, so glad hes okay now :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Oh no that must have been so hard for you and Isaac :( I hope that he's feeling lots better and doesn't have to go through it again, poor chap.

Poor Isaac and poor you! So glad to hear he is better. :cheer:

Lisa

Oh Amy...I'm so sorry. Poor you and poor little Isaac.
I'm so glad he's ok now and they've sorted things out for him but I really feel for you all having to go through all of that.
Sending big hugs to all of you.
Lxxxx :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thankyou for the hugs everyone :) :hug: :hug: :hug:
He's had a great day today, very active and vocal hehe Great to see him so happy and lively :D
Mildly yes Isaac is home now, thankfully it was just the one night :) :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back