Anyone else had a crash c-section?

Misskeza

Reaction score
:wave:
I don't know if i've posted this in the right area.....but i was wondering if anyone else had a crash c-section birth?
It has taken me a while to start to come to terms with the traumatic delivery i experienced and wanted to chat to others who may have gone through the same thing?
xxx

Hi :wave:

Sorry I'm probably being really stupid but I'm not sure I know what you mean by a crash c section :oops: I had an emergency c section after my LO refused to progress past 8 cm dilated and after 8 hours of this he started getting distressed so I was whisked off to theatre. They then took a couple of hours stitching me back up as there was suspicious oozing apparently! I was a bit gutted I didn't get the water birth that I wanted but we are both happy and healthy so all is ok in the long run.

I know there are quite a few c section threads in the post pregnancy health section - it might help to read a couple of those. Also I remember someone posting that you can request a meeting with a midwife from your hospital in order to talk through your birth which might help you to come to terms with a traumatic birth.

Hope everything is ok with you and your LO :hug:

i had an emergency section, presuming that's what you mean.
i got to 2cm's in 11 hours, with the drip at it's highest level. i just wasn't progressing, zach was back to back & he'd got his head stuck, he was trying to come out ear first! so i was taken down to surgey, and after a botched spinal, he was delivered under a general anaestetic. the full story's in my signature.

i too, struggle to come to terms with what happened. after i wanted a pretty natural birth with as little interventon as possible, it was the complete opposite! PM me if you fancy a chat, hun :)

I think a crash c-section is an emergency emergency.

I don't mean yours weren't emergency sections charlotte and Mildly, but more that the crash team runs in and the baby has to be delivered immediately as lives are in immediate danger, not a failure to progress.

Hope I'm right!

Valentine Xxx

Thanks for all your replies and the :hug:

I just spent 20mins typing a reply, pressed 'submit' and it hasn't gone in!? :wall: It will prob turn up in the middle of another topic somewhere! :doh: Ok.....here goes again!

Yes you are right.....a crash c-section is when the crash team are called and is classed as a 'code red' emergency. I went from coping well on G&A n the pool, to being run through to theatre and being put to sleep under general anaesthetic and baby out in 3-4 minutes! Don't get me wrong, i am only too thankfull to everyone involved for delivering my beautiful (healthy) baby boy. I just feel very.......'lost' I think it's because i had sooooo much G&A :dance: and was on another planet when suddenly there are red lights flashing and i'm being wheeled at 40mph down the corridor! I had a 'cord presentation' (or prolapse?) which is when the cord is wrapped round baby's head (a bit like a hair band) and as the contractions push baby down, all blood flow etc is cut off. THANK GOD i was examined when i was, or it would have been too late. I requested my labour notes back in October & have followed with two phone calls but they are 'experiencing a backlog' :evil: When i have them i am going to make an appointment with 'birth stories' - a local midwife who will talk me through my notes. There are a LOT of unanswered questions in the run up to final events.....so i am desperate to see my notes.

Thanks for your kind words girlies
xxx

I have no experience of a c-section, but just wanted to say your experience sounds awful and I'm not suprised you feel a bit lost. Just wanted to give you some hugs :hug: Hope you get to review your notes soon and are able to come to terms with your labour. :hug:

aww hun no wonder you are finding it hard to deal with. I had an emergency c section but it wasnt like yours. must have been scary.. i'd definately speak to someone about it which may help you come to terms with it. Dont bottle it all up though.. :hug:

Claire x

Yes! A crash section is a life threatening situation - more so than an "emergency" section.

I had a very very similar experience to you - was induced, on a drip got to 10cm was allowed to push for an hour but she was face presenting, so basically nothing happened.

They said they would try a "trial of Forceps" in theatre, making sure I had a spinal - just in case it didn't work and I needed a section.

So down we go, and on the second forcep attempt the cord prolapsed, so it was scary when the obstratrician was shouting in theatre saying "we have to get this baby out NOW" several times and urging her colleagues to get moving quickly, and it felt like an age before they managed to get her out - in reality it was about 10mins. I was awake of course for the whole thing and so was aware there was no cry from her and was aware they were obviously struggling to sort her out.

Sadly she was very poorly because of this, she had an apgar score of 1 - she had a heartbeat but that was it, this rose to a score of 3 after a few minutes, but basically she was intubated and heavily sedated on morphine and whisked off to the neonatal unit - I saw her for the first time in theatre with an oxygen tube in her mouth all wrapped up in an incubator. So much for skin to skin contact and all those nice photos you see of babies in a towel just born cuddling mum!

I was numb really, I just couldn't believe that after such a wonderful pregnancy my baby could have been brain damaged from her delivery, it was gutting. It was 42 hours before I could give her a cuddle :(

Luckily, after 5 days in the neonatal unit they were happy with her to come up to the ward with me for 24 hours and then we could come home.

They want to see her every 3 months to track her progress and they bascially can't say what effects her birth has had. At the moment she is a very happy, bubbly, active and alert 3 month old, so in my heart of hearts I think she'll be fine and think we may have been lucky but only time will tell as she reaches each of her milestones.

We also are going to do the Birth AFterthoughts service, its very important I think to go over the birth while it's fresh and put to rest any demons, before thinking about another.......an elective c-section is quite appealing!

So I know exactly how you feel - we went through the same thing virtually, and I think it made my baby blues alot more violent when they appeared because of the emotional ups and downs of the first week.

It's nice to hear another story about this as it's quite rare - anyone else out there?

Is your little one under observations too?

Very happy to chat further if you want to :hug: :hug:

Hi Batie :wave:

So sorry to hear of your experience too, but very glad your LO appears happy and well. It must of been so scary for you to be aware of LO not doing too well in theatre......something i didn't have to go through. I don't know what A.score my LO had as i haven't seen my notes.... :evil: but no, LO doesn't need monitoring. He seems a happy and healthy 4 1/2 month old now.....not aware of the scare he caused us! :doh: Will P.M you when i have my notes and let you know the full story. Thank you for sharing your story with me, take care.
Kari xxx

I had an emergency c-section, i was on G&A which completely knocked me out and i could hear people talking around me but couldnt move between contractions, i couldnt even talk, sometimes my mum had to hold the g&a in my mouth because i literally couldnt move my hand to put it to my mouth. I was in labour for 10 hours and got to 4cm with a hormone drip but apparently ryan's heartbeat was having big decellerations for hours before they did a c-section which if i had been aware i would have been extremely annoyed at as i had pre-eclampsia also and his heart beat was decelling after a contraction which really shouldnt hapen. I had an epidural which didnt work properly then was wisked to theatre where throughout the operation i was crying in pain as i could feel it so they drugged me up to the eyeballs and gave me gases through a mask. I can hardly remeber the first day of his life, It was very traumatic for me so i can understand how you feel, it upsets me when i think about it so i try not to but thats probably not the best thing! :hug: :hug: :hug:

I actually didn't have a c-section, but was rushed into theatre and prepped for it. I found my labour very traumatic though to and found it very hard to come to terms with. I was 27hrs in labour, put on oxytocin drip at 3cms as I was stuck there for hours, requested an epi at 4cms as the drip had caused my contractions to be SOOOOOO painful! Well epi didn't work so had to sit for hrs and hrs up to 8cms with no pain relief (G and A made me feel too sick) until the aneathetisiologist finally got back and moved my epi at 9cms. That gave some relief but I was so tired, out of it, constantly throwing up and just felt I wanted to give up in general. Finally got to 10cms, pushed for 2 hrs, epi worn off, kept passing out between contractions. Baby then turned her head sideways and got stuck and went into distress. I was in LaLa land too! I was given a spinal block with Obstetrican shouting to get the surgery ready...I was so upset and distressed too. I was pleading not to have a c-section, and Ob said he'd try one more time with the ventouse...well she did finally come out...but I was totally numb from the spinal block and just knackered. They handed her straight to me but I was so tired, numb and upset I didn't want to hold her. It took an hour before I started coming round and then wanted to hold her!

I found it hard coming to terms with the situation and am amazed that I am finally starting to consider another baby!!

I know the bottom line is she is healthy and we both came through it but it still upsetting when that wonderful easy labour you were hoping for goes bums up :?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back