another child mauled and killed by a 'dog'

i dont think a dog ever attacks for no reason there has to be a reason wether it be from there past or what, im not saying its right for them to do it at all but its there only way of communication,my mum has been having some problems with her dog and him been a bit snappy so she took him to the vets and he has had 2 teeth out and some antibiotics for a ear infection, he is like a different dog now they have no way of telling us whats wrong with them all they can do is lash out

nathanmum said:
i assume hes been sent to the rescue centre? we dont know.
we didnt want him put down as he is a nice dog just not nice with nathan.
we rang the vet asking about having him put down as a threat really? if that makes sense we didnt thin they would agree to it

I dont know about your vets but I heard that ours would take animals and tell the owner that as requested, the animal had been put down but he would have actually tried to find a home for the animal.

Thats a silly thing to say hun what sort of person would wish any harm on a child, all i was meaning was that i wonder how many of the owners of the dogs that have attacked have said those words, and i do resent the accusation :x

Hiya, sweetcheeks, reread Mary's comment - she said never live to regret their words, think you misread it :D

I don't think you can trust any dog, I have two cocker spaniels (eek!) and I love them dearly but wouldn't trust them with Thomas, I don't leave them in the same room together and will teach Thomas to respect the dogs. The minute one of them displays any sign of agression they are gone as much as it would break my heart Thomas is far more important as I am sure everyone would agree.

lozzi said:
god budge... never happy unless ur causign trouble :roll: :rotfl:

:D

My view on this is animals should never be left with children alone.

As simple as that.

Animals deserve respect. Even if highly trained they could change in an instant.

Not all dogs are nasty tho, my big puppy German Shephard (8years old now) is obviously a breed which scares a lot of people, he is the softest thing youve ever met, take for instant the otehr day, Leo my nephew (hes a big lad ;) ) STOOD on ty's KNACKERS :shock:

And all ty did was look at me mum as if to say get him off.

Didnt snap bark lurch or anything.

But STIL even knowing how soft he is

We would NEVER leave him alone wtih teh babies...

Its as simple as that.

NEVER leave ur children unattended EVEN if you are convinced ur pet is well trained etc..

Shame these other parents/grandparents do not feel the same.

These tragedys could and should have been avoided!!

Well said.

We have a bull mastiff x staffie, he's 7 and soooo soft but theres no way I would ever leave my kids alone with him ever :shakehead:

rotteillers are lovely dogs me and my partner have had 2 and they have been as soft as muck, i think its the way they are treated i would never leave jayde in the same room as my rotti, you cant say that about rottis budge rottis are lovely dogs and caring i love rottis they are my world as long as people treat them right there no different to any dog!!!!!!!!

mary70 said:
Thats a silly thing to say hun what sort of person would wish any harm on a child, all i was meaning was that i wonder how many of the owners of the dogs that have attacked have said those words, and i do resent the accusation :x

I've re read your comment and thats how it sounded to me but if your saying thats not what you meant then I mean it when I say I'm sorry. I obviously misunderstood. I hope you accept :hug:

Sorry Mary..I just re read your post for hundreth time and realised you said.. you hope they NEVER live to regret their words'

I do apologise again.. my thick fault :hug:

I have owned several dogs over the years, including a Rottie, and I have to say she was the most well behaved placid dog I have had the pleasure to own.

At present I have a Boston Terrier and an English Bull Terrier. My Boston isnt even a foot tall and weighs 6kg. My English is the stupidest dog on the planet, and is a muscle packed big toothed defender of her world.

Guess who once nipped my daughter......yep, my Boston.

It isnt always the breed.

Like we say in the dog world.....PUNISH THE DEED NOT THE BREED!!

I was talking to my dad about this thread... he said rotties have a bad rep because they are muscular and big... but unfortunately they don't tend to be the most aggressive creatures on the planet and for that reason make poor attack dogs (basic prison/police attack dogs). Also they don't have great senses of smell so they fail at searching.

They are better suited for guard dogs because they tend to be quite territorial, they are large and noisy (their bark is worse than their bite...i.e they look/sound scary).... but they loose interest in anything they attack quickly, which is good for a guard dog, but if you are trying to take a criminal down, you need the dog to keep him down... Rottweilers won't do that.

Doesn't mean they won't attack... but it does show that they are quite misunderstood for being an aggressive breed.

Most breeds of dog have been bred to DO something... a job or task... (although I'd like to see a Chihuahua's point to life... :roll: Nasty little rat dogs) and the dogs are supposed to do that job, and are happiest doing it. In most cases their jobs are protection/attack... Its how they are handled the rest of the time that determines how they cope with every day life. And if they fail, end up reverting back to their original purpose, then that's the handler's fault.

Personally I don't like dogs... I think they are all a bit stupid... and they take up WAY too much time... doesn't mean that I think they should all be culled... I just don't like them... Oh yes... and they smell.. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

i must say i am a huge dog lover and love dogs, but i dont think i would ever get a dog with young children, i would probably wqait till my kids had grown up and reach teens before having a dog as a pet........ got two cats and thats fine for now :D
by the way love bull mastifs.......... my friend has a 14 stone male dog and he is so dopey the kids sit on his back beat him up (playfully) and he is harmless

We had a 7 year old Jack Russell when Charlie was born and vowed and never did leave them together unsupervised although we trusted Jack!!! We made the decision to rehome Jack when Charlie was 16 months old as we never wanted to put Jack at risk from being beaten by a lively toddler (Charlie was starting to hit him and drag him round by the collar) or put Jack in a position where he needed to attack.

It was the hardest decision we ever made as Jack was our first baby and we brought him up from 6 weeks old but he went to see out his retirement with a lovely couple with no yound children so we made the right decision all round.....

I agree....Blame the Deed not the Breed....any animal is capable of attack but they should never be left alone with a child to be put into that situation

mdsremos said:
We had a 7 year old Jack Russell when Charlie was born and vowed and never did leave them together unsupervised although we trusted Jack!!! We made the decision to rehome Jack when Charlie was 16 months old as we never wanted to put Jack at risk from being beaten by a lively toddler (Charlie was starting to hit him and drag him round by the collar) or put Jack in a position where he needed to attack.

It was the hardest decision we ever made as Jack was our first baby and we brought him up from 6 weeks old but he went to see out his retirement with a lovely couple with no yound children so we made the right decision all round.....

I agree....Blame the Deed not the Breed....any animal is capable of attack but they should never be left alone with a child to be put into that situation

awww thats a nice story. You did the right thing for dog and owner.

its an awful heartbreaking story, but it is the owners fault, not the dog.

My friends MIL has a white west highland terrier. Obviously hasnt got the reputation as a killing machine so was left alone with my friends 4 year old - Just for a secon while the MIL went to answer the door. As soon as shed left the room, the dog had gone for the l;ittle girls face and neck and had pinned her to the floor. The mil treats this damn dog like its her "ickle baby" and it was jelous we think.

My auntie had a cocker spanial a few years ago. It was a horrible little sod. Again, it got treated like it was another human and it became very agressive. It bit my cousin on the face because she dropped a smartie and dared to try and pick it up, also bit my grandads hand when he tried to stroke it. It used to sit under the sofa and growl for the whole time visitors were there....

Now my family has always had German Shepards and not once has anyone ever been bitten by any of our dogs. you have to know how to handle them.

Unfortunatly a Rottie can do a hell of a lot of damage as theyre so big and strong, and so they get stuck with the 'killer dog' stigma :(

lauramumof2 said:
Carina said:
What I think, that you can never forget, that the dog is an animal. I love dogs, but they are dogs, and you never know, what will get in their head.

Thats a sad fact. People treat dogs like people but they arent. They need to be treated with respect as an animal.

I dont agree that rottis should be culled and that all non working dogs should be culled. I find that statement to be quite bizarre.

i never actually said that they SHOULD be culled. I said that i would be happy for them to be if their was ever a time when it was necessary to do so. (which is never going to happen is it lets face it)
People matter more to me than any animal. :)

I went to visit my cousin yesterday, with a great deal of trepidation. She is the proud owner of 2 9-stone rottweilers. I was not convinced I really wanted to meet them, but I am glad I have now. I have been round animals all my life, and my mum and sister keep and breed working sheepdogs and my sister also runs a dogwalking business, so I am not afraid of dogs. But still - I was cautious of meeting my cousin's. She introduced me to them when I arrived and then ushered me into her lounge and sent the dogs to their baskets. They were clearly well trained and knew their place in the family hierarchy. It was interesting to see my cousin's 2 year old daughter shouting 'Buster, sit!' and the dog hanging on her every word. I still wouldn't leave my children with them, though.

The recent media fuss has had quite a large impact on my cousin's day to day routine. While she is a responsible mother-of-three, studying at college and working hard to provide for her family, she is being treated as a pariah in her home area. She has had people run screaming down the street from her when she is walking her dogs :roll: , and others have told her she ought to be ashamed to keep them and should have them put down even though they have done nothing. She now walks them at 10pm when it is dark and there is noone around as it is the only way she can get them excercised without suffering abuse.

What we need to understand is that all animals are, well, animals. They do not have the developed brain that humans have, and have a much more simplistic way of going about things. They need to be given clear guidance as to how to behave, ie they need training, otherwise they are likely to be difficult, even dangerous. And we are not just talking about dogs here - we are talking about any animal. I absolutely could not leave my parrot in the room unsupervised with my baby. He could easily bite off a little finger and is very defensive of his cage. An old schoolfriend of mine had a little brother who was blinded after the family cat scratched his eyes as a baby. The best sentence I have seen here is this one;

NEVER leave ur children unattended EVEN if you are convinced ur pet is well trained

Doesn't matter how big or small, fierce or soft. Animals are animals at the end of the day.

BTW I am looking to rehome my beloved parrot. He loves children who are old enough to play with him - my friend's children are 6 and 9 and love him to bits, but he is not enjoying life with a baby in the house and I am feeling increasingly sad that he doesn't get the attention he deserves. He would be better homed with a family with older children or with a single (possibly older) person who wanted a companion. He needs immense amounts of attention. He will fit right back in here in about 7 years time (I intend to have another baby) but it is so unfair to ask him to wait that long. He doesn't understand. :(

sazzylou said:
My auntie had a cocker spanial a few years ago. It was a horrible little sod. Again, it got treated like it was another human and it became very agressive. It bit my cousin on the face because she dropped a smartie and dared to try and pick it up, also bit my grandads hand when he tried to stroke it. It used to sit under the sofa and growl for the whole time visitors were there....

Cocker spaniels are known to have a trait and certain colours in the breed are known to be aggressive. IIRC the solid colour ones are more prone to it. There is a term they have for it called 'rage syndrome'. Its well documented. They don't make good pets if people have children around. It comes down to how they have been selectivly bred in past generations and have had this trait in them. Thank the owners/breeders again for this :roll:

And in reply to the thread in general...

FWIW, I am a dog lover and really do feel that people need to consider all the aspects of a dog before they get their chosen breed/x breed as a family pet. I've never felt a Rotty is a suitable family pet simply because they need so much time given to them with training and exercise etc. And for it to be kept up year after year regardless. Families with kids often don't have the time to devote to such a breed and therefore are leaving themselves open to potential problems in the future. A Rotty is a one person dog, and won't take commands from lots of people, even those it shares its home with. They need interaction with their handler, exercise and something to do. So many people get them and don't consider the long term effects their family may have on the dog and so many of these end up for rehoming once they mature its not funny. Parents can't cope with dog and kids, or find themselves worried about the dogs behaviour. Too many times the dog is the one cast out because not enough thought was given in the first place. Shutting them outside to live in a back garden is not a solution for a dog of that breed. More problems can arise from doing so.

Any dog requires commitment and for everyone in the family to be aware as possible if they are able. Kids need to be taught tolerance and to not tease (I've seen far too many kids do this to dogs over the years and not even realise what they are doing is a problem) and the dog needs to know its place also. So many do not and problems start.

Its tragic a child lost their life like this when it need never have happened. I can't say I blame the breed in general. The dog may have been lovely in the past, but the fact it was left shut outside and so on tells me it wasn't the family pet it has been made out to be. If you have to do that with a dog when there are small children around, then something is not right.

mayday said:
BTW I am looking to rehome my beloved parrot. He loves children who are old enough to play with him - my friend's children are 6 and 9 and love him to bits, but he is not enjoying life with a baby in the house and I am feeling increasingly sad that he doesn't get the attention he deserves. He would be better homed with a family with older children or with a single (possibly older) person who wanted a companion. He needs immense amounts of attention. He will fit right back in here in about 7 years time (I intend to have another baby) but it is so unfair to ask him to wait that long. He doesn't understand. :(

Aww thats a shame. I do feel parrots make awkward pets, a bit like tortoises, as they are so long lived and often outlive their owners. And people find, like yourself, that they have to rehome them due to changes in circumstance. I'd never get such a long lived animal for that reason. I'd not want to have to face parting with it or it outliving me in old age.

Some friends of mine bought 2 young tortoises for their kids, thinking they would make great pets. Hundreds of pounds worth of pet and the kids never looked at them and they got neglected. In the end, after a few years my friend sold them to a good home. Took the kids weeks to notice they had gone :roll:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back