Going up to random dogs... small rant!

Hypnorm

Reaction score
We have just got a rescue dog as a comanion for my son and to get us all out of the house more.
Well at the weekend we went away on the boat and went in to Evesham to do some shopping and we took 'Daisy dog' with us, i was quite horrified at the number of mums that just let their kids walk up and pat her on the head with no warning! I never do that my self and have taught Ewan not to touch or approach any unknown dogs unless the owner had said that they can, and to offer his hand for them to sniff first.

And yet if my dog barked i would get the dirtiest look, luckily she is very gentle but a dog can startle very easily.

At Dog training last week on of the girls arrived with a foster dog, the dog had been brought in to the vets to be put to sleep, because it was too bouncy and the owners couldnt cope! so they wanted it killed.
Luckily the vet took it away from the owners and it now has a new start.

I hate that too, I never let my kids go over to a dog unless the owners say it's OK

I hate that!! When we go to the park and damon sees a dog he points at it and shouts doggy so then i ask if its ok with the owner.

I try not to make them frightened of dogs but tell them not to touch or go too close as the dog might be frightened of them.

We had a situation a few weeks ago where a big massive dog (might have been a mastif, the local paper didnt confirm) ripped a papillion to shreds in the main street at lunchtime. People were striking the dog and a man with a stookie got his arm into the dogs mouth to try and stop it. The owner though doesnt want the dog put down so there is action being taken againt the man and I think the dog is in police kennels.

I passed it all the time, it didnt look like it had it in him.

On occassion, Joe has gotten quite close to the dog.

We have 2 dogs and Im cautious even with them and James!

I agree with Urchin - you do need to be a bit careful - especially around stray dogs

we have a yorkie, and shes fab, but yorkies have a tendancy to be snappy towards people the dont know. Gracie isnt but when we took her out for a walk on sunday this woman just let her girl and boy come over and stroke her.i thought for all she knows Gracie might be really possessive and try and nip them! stupid idiots! :x

I hate this too, weve got a staffie and its amazing how great big burly blokes ask if shes alright to play with, but mums just let their toddlers wobble up to her, luckily shes a big softy and just rolls over with her gob open and laps up the attention but you get some really scary dogs, i dno how the mums do it !!
In our local area a polish lady took her dog out without a lead ( i think it was a pitbullesk or cross bread ) and she didnt notice until she got home it wasnt with her, and it had wandered into the local corner shop ( who have an elderly staffie that sniffs ankles by the front door ) and dragged it out by its neck, it was absolutely hurrendous poor MOnty never stood a chance, and still i get kids come up to our dog all the time !
I dont mind of course because i know shes fine, but i do worry that if i dont say be careful the next time their out they might go upto a dog not so friendly !

i wouldnt let millie go up to a dog full stop. if the owner said it was ok then i'd feel awkward coz i still wouldnt want millie touching it. i dont trust dogs- even the ones whose owners say "he's a big softie" yes im sure he is mostly but he's still an animal! u cannot trust animals 100% they have no concept of trust! nothing against them its just that trust is a human thing!

if any kids do come up to Daisy i make sure i have her held by the collar, that way i am in full control of her head. Daisy is a softie but i don''t trust her if she got startled by a kid running up to her.

Was walking her the other day and a teenager came running out of his drive way, it scared the hell out of Daisy and the teen thought it was hilarious.

My old dog was a collie and had been very badly treated so was unpredictable. I would ensure he was on a lead outside and that I was in control yet I remember on one occasion whilst we were in the vets waiting room these kids kept running up to him. I had pulled him really close to me, and had hold of his head but they still kept coming over. I had to ask the mum to stop them from doing it, as I knew full well if he bit them I would be the one responsible. Seren never goes up to other dogs, not unless we ask first.

I always stop children from stroking my dog and check with their parents first. I always explain my dog is friendly but that they should never just walk up and try to stroke it. To ask me and their parents first.

Sometimes the parents get pissy about it, but mostly they are understanding and appreciate it.

I dont have a dog but thought id share a story from work...
A guy was walking his little yorkshire terrier the other afternoon. Out of no where this pit bull/staffie (somethinng of that kind anyway) and grabbed the little yorkie and drag it about like a rag doll. He tried to get the dog off his dog but it bit his arm...He kicked the dog a few times after that and eventually it dropped his dog. The other dog's owner is now trying to pass blame onto the man with the yorkie for animal cruelty :shock: The guy has 84 stitches in his arm, a dead dog and his 3 year old son ahd to witness it all. Yes he kicked the dog and yes in normal circumstances i agree it is extremley cruel, but if you see your pet being slung about like a rag doll being killed before yours and your LO's eyes then getting attacked yourself you would do anything to get the beast of you and your pet.

Just thought id share

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back