who has a dog and a baby?

sarafet

Reaction score
was just wondering because OH and i were talking about how we loved our pets when we were young. my dog tina was my best friend :D

we have 2 cats at the moment and i absolutely love them to bits, i know when our little man gets here though, he won't have that kind of bond with them when growing up. we were thinking about getting a dog, i don't think we really will, as it would be a HUGE thing for us, and there's so much to think about..

but was just wondering who here has dogs that have grown up with their kiddies, and how have you found juggling kids/dogs etc..?

we had a dog but rehomed her just before harry was born as she needed a lot of walking (border collie) - do your research on breeds if you get one as some need loads of stimulation and we never researched it

:hug:

I have a shih tzu, he is fab with Jack and Jack loves him.

Shihtzu's are known for suffering seperation anxiety so are not good left on their own for long periods.. I only work part time though. They are also good with children and other animals (Obviously always take precautions around kids and never leave any dog on their own with them)

I don't mind having Giz, I am quite nervous of Jack around bigger dogs but with Gizmo I know that if he did snap (unlikely but possible) then he's small enough for me to be able to handle rather than a big dog where it would be stronger than me iykwim.

I know what your saying about growing up with dogs though, I was brought up in my home as an only child and my dogs where like my best friends :)

thanks girls, that's what i mean about it would take a lot of consideration - breed wise, as to what we could handle. a smaller dog would be better i think but OH and i prefer bigger dogs - which i'd be really wary with around a small child tbh :think:

sweetcheeks - a shihtzu would be a good size, but i've read a lot about that type of breed needing a LOT of attention, and kind of 'clinging' to the one owner if you know what i mean? same with yorkies etc :think:

i really duno, i'm still trying to convince my mum to get a dog :rotfl: she loves dogs but still feels she hasn't the time for one at the moment.

He does need lots of cuddles yes, high maintenence like me :lol: but he doesn't stick with just one of us, he loves OH just as much as me. And Gizmo was around before OH. I think it's cos OH takes him for his walks and I give him his cuddles.

He is hard work though

I have a Toller (rare breed - Nova scotia duck tolling retriever) they are very high energy dogs and I am quite worried how he will be when baby comes we have started making changes now that need to happen when baby comes i.e. now he cant sleep in bedroom or get up on the sofa and have been talking to a behaviourist to make sure we do all we can to make it all go as smoothly as possible when baby gets here but I still worry. He will be nearly 3 when baby gets here and has calmed down lots but I have had to put loads of work in with him which I don't think I'd have managed with a small baby, I really hope he will be fine and him and baby will have a good relationship and grow up together.

I really wouldn't recommend getting a dog right now your going to have your hands full when baby comes as it is, if you got a dog now they would just have started to settle in when everything would all change again and thats not all that fair on your dog. I personally would wait until baby was abit older and then do really good research into the right breed for you taking into consideration how much time you have free for walking training etc also a puppy is more recommended with young children then a rescue (many rescues wont home with under 6 year olds) so you will need lots of time for training and house training etc its hard to judge how much time you will have for a dog before baby gets here much easier to wait til baby comes and get a dog when you feel you have the time for it but I do agree it was a wonderful part of my childhood the relationship I had with my dog and can be a very special thing for a child!

i would never recomend getting a puppy when you have a very young baby as it is bloody hard work, when you are house training a pup it is so much harder when you are tired and trying to cope with a baby, i have dogs and love them to bits, i hope they are good with the baby as i dont want to have to rehome them.
Once the baby is a bit older then i think its lovely for them to have a dog, i had a setter as my best friend when i grew up but definately do research before you get one and if you go to a rescue ask tons of questions.

I have a greyhound and they are wonderful with children as they are VERY gentle. Not only that there are thousands of ex-racers in re homing centres and all they want is a comfy bed and they will sleep ALL DAY. They are the most lazy animals and despite what you might think they actually dont need massive amounts of walking. They will enjoy a 20 minute walk as much as a huge run around. Mine is a very large greyhound (his back comes up to my hips) but u can get smaller sized greyhounds. They do need a bit of house training as they probaly have never lived in a house b4 but they are no way near as bad as puppies!

Bloody hell just realised i typed all that and you have 2 cats..most greyhounds want to eat cats :rotfl:

We have a Doberman who is only 3 months old and its hard work sometimes as Maddison is only 9 months. I have grown up with dogs and I loved them so much so I wanted Maddison to grow up with one. I love big dogs (we used to have a Great Dane). We decided on a Doberman as they are easy to train (Leon was house trained within a week :D ) and the breeder is across the road from us (she has 3 Dobes herself) so she is always there if I need her :wink: As kids we were brought up with Collies, Labradors, Terriers and Rotties and believe it or not the Rotties were the most gentle with us :lol:

IIRC the Toller and Cavalier King Charlies spaniel top the breeds as being best with children.

I grew up with everything from Dachshunds to Dobermans and we had labradors, Gordon Setters and various other breeds also. I'd really say do your research as to what breed you get. Thats the key. And often you can skip the puppy stage and get a dog around 6 months old from a breeder. Its what we've done on a few occasions and its worked really well for us.

Since living on my own I've stuck to cross breeds (from rescue centres) and Whippets. Whippets are fantastic nature, gentle and great with kids. Not needing masses of exercise either as they run in short bursts. Ours loves the sofa and a cuddle. The only down side with him is he has a tendency to bounce and jump a bit when excited but tbh, Galen will grow up with him and Eric will settle. I'm not worried about Eric being a bit bouncy sometimes.

I have an irritating and disreputable Cairn terrier, but he is a very loving dog- he loves Willow, does tend to get a little excitable but as long as you're sensible there's no reason why there should be a problem with a dog and baby in the house

Sherlock said:
IIRC the Toller and Cavalier King Charlies spaniel top the breeds as being best with children.
Thats great to know! One of my factors in choosing a Toller was needing a nice friendly breed that should be good around children but unfortunately not having many friends with young children he hasn't had as much experience of them as I would like which is why I worry how he will be when our baby comes but he is a friendly loving boy just very bouncy and abit noisy at times (typical Toller basically! :lol: ) I'm sure he will be fine!

Penstraze said:
Sherlock said:
Thats great to know! One of my factors in choosing a Toller was needing a nice friendly breed that should be good around children but unfortunately not having many friends with young children he hasn't had as much experience of them as I would like which is why I worry how he will be when our baby comes but he is a friendly loving boy just very bouncy and abit noisy at times (typical Toller basically! :lol: ) I'm sure he will be fine!

It is either the Toller or the Chesapeke :think: Now I'll have to look it up. I think it was the Kennel Club or some such recommended the top breeds. But there are a fair few come highly recommended anyways.

thanks for all your advice ladies :D

we defo won't be rushing into anything anyways, will probably wait till the little mans a bit older as i'd hate to not have enough time for the dog :( wouldn't be fair. also i don't know if i could handle a puppy and a young child - think it would need to be at leas 6 months old.

i had the cats at the vet this morning - one of my cats has special needs - and there were so many lovely dogs :D seen the most gorgeous king charles cavalier, what a stunning dog :D i love going to the vets and seeing all the different breeds :rotfl:

I dunno about the big dog worry - I was brought up with an alsatian and he was my best mate. When I was really tiny he was the closest you could get to a child minder - he took great care of me, and woe of strangers coming up to me uninvited. He never bit anyone, but made quite clear that i was HIS baby. His name was Shane, and he was a fantastic dog.
As for having pups and babies...my bitch had her litter two weeks after Ani was born, she had six and it was a great success. I was at home to take care of them, any other year it would have been impossible to have her breed, coz with both of us working full time it would have been a nightmare to see to the pups.
So you can see ...

1609200712.jpg

Weren't they gorg?

BTW i didnt mean to hijack your thread or anything, just illustrate my case ...admittedly I am mad... :roll:

awwww how gorgeous are they!!! :D

i think i'm just wary because i don't know what i'll be like coping with a baby never mind a puppy/dog and a baby :rotfl: and i'd hate to not be able to give the dog as much attention as he needed to settle in etc :think:

don't post pictures.. makes me even more doggie broody :rotfl:

From being born my parents were dog breeders, and mainly with Staffordshire and American Pit Bull, Terriers, and I now cannot imagine not giving Isaac the opportunity to live with and love a dog. Our dog can sulk for England though, and so he's not always best pleased to see Isaac running at him :lol: but thankfully they are good friends and as Isaac grows I know the bond will only strengthen :) And in reference to breeds, the most angry and quite mouthy, snarly dog we ever had was a Jack Russell :shock:

On a safety note, I have never been bitten by a dog I owned or otherwise, but I would equally never trust ANY dog 100%, which may seem an odd thing to say about the safety of my child/ren, but life is a bit odd that way, and we need to teach respect and understanding between children and animals, that way they are kept as safe as possible. Obviously sometimes horrible events happen with dogs and babies/children, but to own a dog is not to wish this on any child either, think that made sense :D

I'd never get a puppy whilst pregnant or just after giving birth though, oooooooh no :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back