Punishment of dog breeds

Riley's Mommy

Reaction score
cross posted from http://z8.invisionfree.com/talkpets/index.php?showtopic=510

I am schocked to read, that the Danish Kennel Club under FCI have brought up a suggestion where all dogs in the categori of "muscle dogs" will have to be on lead at all times and in some cases will have to be muzzled aswell.

We have seen an import in DK, mostly from east european countries of some badly bred dogs of breeds that that belongs in the categori of what we call muscle breeds.

Many of the buyers of these breeds are people who cant excatly be descriebed as the best dogowners outthere and the pupose of the dogs has in some cases seemed to be to look scary while walking them, arranging dog fights (which is illegal here) and to attack other people and dogs with these breeds.

Truely horrible and stupid and dangerous acts - I think we all agree on this.
But what I can not understand and what schocks me when Denmarks only internationel kennel club under the FCI brings up such suggestion, is where is the care about the dogs in that?

This suggestion does not look at the dogs from serios breeders, responsable owners and people with a knowledge about these breeds at all.
It punish the owners, handles and not least the dogs that have done nothing wrong and leads the life every dog - no matter the breed - deserves.

It only looks at categories and then punish the breeds - the dogs - and this from a club who is suppoedly to have the dogs best interest of heart?

Now no question that the incidents and the standard of some of the breeds in question are open for debate, but how come we choose to punish the dogs when the law itself says that owners are responsable for their dogs actions?

Why dont the Danish Kennel Club look at options to punish the owners, make strighter import rules, demand for owners to prove that they can live up to the responsability it is to own a stronger, larger dog that - in the wrong hands - can harm others - both animals and humans.

Why is it that some bad ones gets to punish several breeds and several serios and responsable owners and why is it that a Kennel Club registrered under the world wide FCI can even think about punishing what they are supposed to protect, look after and care about - instead of the real criminals?

The Danish Kennel Club has allready written our goverment about this suggestion and it is being heavily debatted on danish sites.
What I´m looking for is your help! I am putting aside other tasks to collect information about the breeds that will fall under this ridicolous suggestion - gather information that shows the breeds are wonderful dogs in the hands of responsable owners and prove that these breeds are world wide not considered and shouldnt be considered death machines.

I am looking for statements from people who owns the breeds, breeds them, shows/work/train them, from vets, from people placed in higher places in different parts of the world, from studies of the breeds, etc. Anything you know of, can find, have seen, heard or read - anything that will prove my case - that these breeds are not fair to point out as the bad guys - but that all actions should be on the owners and handlers.

I will look into danish law and find everything that can be used in these breeds avantage just as I will gather all information and send it all off to our goverment as soon as I have enough.

Please feel free to cross post this, help me out and not least - help these breeds out so they wont get punished from being the victims of a stupid and very careless suggestion by a kennel club under the FCI that has disappointed me greatly.

I can be contacted on here or mail me at [email protected]

All help is appriciated and I need help fast.

Thank you.

Amts

My parents bred American Pit Bulls for many years keslo66, and it taught me that it's more about bad owners than bad breeds that some poor dogs get a bad name :cry:

Best Wishes :hug:

Like many things today I think media hype doesn;t help to focus on the real problem, it's ok demonizing these dogs but what about the owners that encourage bad behaviour in dogs and mistreat them into a nervous tempremant :roll:

I wish you lots of luck keslo66, I don't know if there's anything I can do to help but let me know if you think there is :hug:

Just out of curiosity what do they class as muscle dogs?

they havent defined the list yet. Its all breeds that can be defined as muscle dogs - which has a history of being used for fights, protection- and guard work etc.

i wouldnt trust any dogs around children no matter what breed but do think that the muscle dogs need something doing about them as they were never meant to be pets but this is just MY oppinion .

I believe that special caution should be taken when children are around dogs mary70, I think a lot of owners forget that, I've seen it with friends saying, 'Oh, the dog won't hurt him', truth is that's not an absolute truth ... on the other hand, I love dogs, and have had them around me since I was born, and our dog is a FAMILY MEMBER, not 'just a dog', his feelings are important to me, it's about keeping that responsible balance between animal and human :)

id be so upset if a law said my dogs arent allowed off lead.

dogs need exercise. and if a dog who isnt social cant even be taken to a secluded field for 'off lead time' then that is very sad indeed.

although my dogs are friendly, i take them the opposite direction to children, just in case the child accidently gets clipped when my dogs are running.

all it takes are common sense.

mummykay said:
i hope rotties arent on that list :( :(

So do I, I have a rottie called Nico and he's the softest thing around. I still wouldn't leave him alone with any children though even though he's so good with them.

Its the owners which cause the problems not the dogs. It makes me so mad sometimes. I've lost count of the amount of people who have asked why i've got one. People crossed the road to avoid us even when he was a 10 wek old puppy!

Would Bull Mastiff be classed as muscle dogs? I know at one time they were used for fighting.

My Bull Mastiff Baileys is the stupidest, softest dog you can imagine. Granted she can knock me over if she wants to but she is well trained and doesnt do that. She gives Thea a wide berth most of the time but does come and nudge at my legs if Thea is crying, kinda like she is saying will you make her shut up please lol. I'd never leave her alone with Thea but i wouldnt do that with any dog.

you ladies have highlighted my point. ive met so many 'muscle' dogs rotties, staffies ect. and they have all been so soft.

its dogs like terriers ive found to be snappy.

i met a dobbman once and asked the owner if she was ok for me to stroke. the man said 'oh yeh she is fine'

and boy was she. she did nothing but lick me.

the law is getting silly. instead of punishing the dogs, how about educating owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back