another child mauled and killed by a 'dog'

nathanmum said:
we have just got rid of our dog as it was very aggressive towards nathan- he was fine before and we loved him but id had enough and he had to go.
we tried to re home him for 6 months we tried every rescue centre in a 50 mile radius, the dogs trust, the vet, the dog warden and no one would help us. we phoned the vet in the end and asked for him to be put down- thinking they would say oh no we will help you and they said yeah just make an appointment?? :?
in the end the dog warden told us to remove our details from the microchip and hand him into the vets (off record of course) as a stray.
i hate it when people say oh its the owners- we tried eveything with him, he was fine before and with other kids he just took a dislike to nathan.
i dont trust dogs at all now and would never own another.
i just couldnt beleive that no one would help us? the best one was they couldnt help cos we werent in reciept of benefits :shakehead:

:shock: You got him rehomed not put down? :?

i assume hes been sent to the rescue centre? we dont know.
we didnt want him put down as he is a nice dog just not nice with nathan.
we rang the vet asking about having him put down as a threat really? if that makes sense we didnt thin they would agree to it

i would never trust any dog around my kids, i have been bitten 3 times by 3 different dogs, and i must admit i do think that some of the fighting dogs should be made illigal or they should only be allowed to be kept with a very expensive licence and then people would have to be very serious about looking after them and if they are found to be owned without a licence then they should be taken away. i also think that anyone found with any of these dogs off a lead anywhere should be taken off the owner, these dogs should NEVER be allowed to run free in public

I'm really sorry but that dog should have been put down not rehomed to go on being vicious :shock:

nathanmum said:
we rang the vet asking about having him put down as a threat really? if that makes sense we didnt thin they would agree to it
ahh right I see, to try and make them se you were serious so they would take it. Is a shame they wouldn't take him in and were willing to put him down :(

You obviously did right thing in giving it (Hopefully to be re-homed) I wouldn't keep an aggressive dog around Jack either.

Lets hope your dog is in a nice home without kids :D

skairdykat said:
I'm really sorry but that dog should have been put down not rehomed to go on being vicious :shock:

i disagree when it was just us and OH kids he was fine and has never been funny with anyone else just nathan. if he went to a kidless couple of retired person he would be fine. i dont think he should hvae been put down.

thats what I thought too. If it is possible to rehome an animal into the right environment I see no reason why they should be put down.

I'm no animals right activist or anything but I dont see why we think we have the right to play god when usually these terrible things that happen are due to our (our as in human race not anyone on here :D ) own ignorant behaviour anyway :(

im going to buy a rottweiler when we have a place with a garden :shakehead:

news of this tragedy doesnt put me off having a dog, it makes me more aware that there is a need for owners to train and look after their dogs properly and i intend to be one of those owners :shakehead:

At the end of the day, no matter who the owners are or how they are handled, they are ANIMALS they have no concept of whats wrong or right, if they feel threatened they will attack, I would never leave hope in any room with an animal, maybe a goldfish coz they dont have teeth is ok, but anything else is a nono :shakehead:

nathanmum said:
skairdykat said:

i disagree when it was just us and OH kids he was fine and has never been funny with anyone else just nathan. if he went to a kidless couple of retired person he would be fine. i dont think he should hvae been put down.

Ah right, sorry, thought you meant he was just nasty with everyone. Must put my specs on lol. Sorry in that case you did good hun :hug:

sorry lauramumof2 i just read my post and it did come across as i'd taken it personally but i haven't....lol

i knew when i first read this post that they would be different views and opinions and i understand it from everyones point of view.

Just going to keep out of it now, its all getting to heated for me.....lol

Well i feel so sorry for the little one and also for the rotti what a terrible accident

I have a 9 stone mastiff and a lab who are so so soft and loving but i would NEVER EVER leave them unattended with any child,

I cannot believe how irresponsible the adults were,

And as for putting these "dangerous dogs" down what utter utter rubbish, all animals need treating with respect, our dogs and cat share our house, sometimes even our bed but they know their place and we would not let them overstep the mark,

A little dog can be just as nasty as a big one but unfortunately 10 stone of bite will do alot more damage

I as a responsible dog owner do believe that we should have to have licences to own a dog as i think it would stop an awful lot of people from having dogs who really shouldnt have them

When i have a baby i am actually more worried about the cat harming it than my two dogs

Well we have had 13 alsations, 2 rottweilers, and four labs... In my 17 years at home... and do you want to know what has bitten me more times in my life... Gerbils and hamsters... :x :x :x I'd happily see a cull on those vicious little monsters...

At the end of the day... pack animals need to be put in their place... and that sometimes means not treating them as lovable adorable pets. And one that bites on purpose should be put down because they will always have it in them to attack again.

I got bitten by my dad's lab once, but it was totally my fault... We were playing tug of war, I ripped the rope from his mouth, he went to grab it again and just caught my hand... he immediately came off and cowered away showing signs that he knew he'd done wrong and didn't mean it. If I'd been more careful it wouldn't have happened, but it did in a split second, but we never had him put down for it... which is why people should have more respect for these animals.

I hate the dangerous dog debate, its dangerous owners, who are irresponsible!!
People expect too much from animals, they forget they ARE ANIMALS, and as much as they can be loved you forget that and you risk this happening.
This story, it's so sad :cry:
God bless them poor children who had to witness it too, my heart goes out to the family :hug:

ive lived with dogs all my life ( mum breeds them ) and do u know what , out of the 10 dogs outside and 5 inside when i was little i got more mauled by a freakin stray swan that landed ! it chased and bite me harder then any of the dogs !

and yes , mum has a rotty , and i know have a staffy . we get awfull looks when walking together . but if u see the rotty she is the daftest thing u would ever meet ! even when she stands taller them my mum !

i of cause am gonna be carefull when introducing my lil one to mny dog , im preparing with a house full of baby gates for a start and they will never be left alone !

i just think its one of those things that people will never agree on, and i have been bitten by 3 dogs that the owners have said "it would never hurt a fly" so i never belive that one and yes i did go to the police for all 3 and insisterd all 3 were put down, i am sorry but if they can bite once they can do it again and i wouldnt take that risk

I am presuming that the owners agreed to have the dog put down Mary? as it would actually take a court order before a dog can be destroyed unless it is put down at the actual event because it has caused significant damage? At work, when somebody comes in to report a dog bite, then usually it is the case that the owner is ordered to muzzle the dog in public which to be fair any reasonable owner should do if they think there dog may be aggresive

The problem with this one is that nobody has a crystal ball and alot of the time, yes the dog has never done anything before so it really is a one off thing and something has happened to make the dog react in this way.

Our dogue de bordeaux is going through her kevin stage at the minute and she is quite thuggish so when i walk her i always muzzle her as i never want her to be labelled as a dangerous dog which she wont be as long i am in control of her and she knows that

We have a rotti next door called reg who is so so soft and has two girls at home a 5 and 11 year old and he is fantastic with them

The first one i was only 7 and it was a whippit sp? and i was in hospital a week and that was put down at the scene, so i was told. the second was one a passed on the way to work, that was a little dog dont know what it was and it always barked at the gate as i passed but thid day the gate was open and it ran out and bit me and i needed stiches, when i eported it the police said they had other repors from neighbours about it so they went to see the owners and i was told that had been put down and the thrid one was a cousins dog that bit me this summer when we were at a bbq and that was a little scotty dog, i needed stiches for that too, they asked me if i wanted it put to sleep, it had bit before and i siad yes or i wouldnt take the kids any more so that was put down too. So no its not always big dogs

I think if the dog kills someone Nw1, they automatically have to be put down or the police will press for a court order....? :think: (although Im not sure)

I think simple biting is a choice for the owner. I know my dad chose to have his dog Roy put down, and he never even bit me, just went for my head when I was a baby... He made a great attack dog, but he'd bitten quite a few people in his day, including people he wasn't supposed to, and he was a little bit mad...

My parents said they would never forgive themselves if I had been killed or hurt by the dog... which is why they took the decision they did with Roy and why they were very careful with the dogs. I was taught that they were not pets, I couldn't give them treats, I couldn't play with them until I was in my teens.

My dad had a great bond with his dogs... they saved his life on more than one occasion, so not as simple as loving a pet... but his children were more important, and he respected the fact that dogs were dangerous if not looked after correctly. People are right, poor handling of dogs is responsible for most dog attack cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back