Attacked by a dog

Amanda

Reaction score
My SIL-to-be (she is marrying my brother in 6 weeks) was attacked by a dog yesterday! :shock:

She delivers parcels for NEXT and was pushing a card through a letterbox when the dog got hold of her hand in his mouth and wouldn't let go. She had to wrench her hand out of the dogs mouth and the letterbox. She is currently in hospital and has to have an operation this afternoon to repair the ligaments. 2 fingers have been stripped to the bone! :shock:

I don't know many details, as you can imagine when I spoke to my brother he was a little out of it and was rushing to get to the hospital, but all I know is that the owners weren't home at the time. I have no idea how she got to hospital, or what else has been done. I know my brother did say that he had to go and report it to the police today.

Does anyone know where the law stands with this sort of thing. Surely the dog is dangerous, but then again, he was only protecting his owners property. :? Is it true that as he has now had the taste of human blood he will need to be put down? She works for NEXT on a self-employed basis delivering the parcel, and gets a fixed amount for each parcel delivered. So if she doesn't deliver any parcels, she doesn't get paid. I wish I was well enough to be able to take over for her while I'm off, but I can't. I should imagine that NEXT have some sort of insurance for this kind of thing, but if they don't, would she be able to claim loss of earnings against the dogs owners?? I know I should be worrying about her at this time, and not thinking about these things, but they are always struggling for cash, and had to postpone the wedding last year as my brother lost his job. It would be heartbreaking to see this ruined again by this. I was kinda hoping I could get her some answers before I go and see her later to put her mind at rest. I don't even know which hand it is, I'm praying it's her right one so she can still put a wedding ring on. :pray:

I'm not sure if the dog would be put down as the dog was on their property and in the house. They could argue that yes the dog is dangerous but it was locked behind the door so that was meant to keep him out of the way. The dog could also be not dangerous at all but got really scared with a hand going through the letter box and just lashed out if that makes sense? I'm really not sure where it stands though with the dog being in the house.

Maybe she could claim loss of earnings through the owner but I'm guessing it would have to go to court unless they are willing to pay. I know it's not the same but my old dog got out of our house and bit another dog so we paid the other dog's vet bill so I'd say they would have to compensate her in someway.

I hope she gets better soon hun!

That's what I was thinking as well. He was only protecting his territory. I wouldn't want to see any harm coming to a dog that was just doing what he was supposed to do.

We have an alsation and he hates anything being pushed through the letterbox and barks and barks at the postie, and if he gets to whatever has been pushed through, he will tear it to shreds. He never barks at anything else, not even people knocking at the door, and he never tears anything else up, just what comes though the letterbox. So we don't let him anywhere near it. If I am home, he is either in the kitchen, living room or garden, and the door to the hallway is shut. When I am out, he is in the kitchen with 2 closed doors seperating him from the front door. When he stayed with DH's sister while we were on holiday, they have an open-plan downstairs and nowhere to shut him away from the front door. So we bought her a dog-proof cage to go over the letterbox. That kept him away from any fingers that came through the door.

If they knew the dog didn't like the letterbox then really they should have done something about it! Like with your dog you put him away from the letterbox or you can get a cage from lots of places so not really an excuse if he's done it before. If he hasn't done it before then it's just bloody horrible luck that that had to happen to your sister in law. They should now be putting up the cage or putting the dog away but it doesn't change the fact your sister has been badly hurt. I'm just reallyt not sure where the law stands when they are behind a locked door.

Oh God how horrid for her :shock: . I hope the op goes ok.

As Far as i'm aware when they report the bite the police will investigate it & find out if the dog is regarded as dangerous & it would then go from there i.e the dog be ordered to wear a muzzle/be out down etc however I think this may only apply to a dog biting someone in a public place, the laws may be different as it was at home & behind a locked door.

Let us know what happens.

I think you should be able to insist they get one of those cages to stop it happening again! Your poor sister :(

That's why I could never do a delivery job. I know they're the most popular pet in Britan, but I bloody hate dogs. terrified of them! :shock:

You'd never catch my kitties biting people's hands :D

Oh gosh :(

I hope she recovers soon from the shock & her op goes well.

Like LittleMinx said - You woudl think they had a wire rack surrounding the letter box!

The owners must know their dogs temper. This can't have been the first time the dog has gone for a postmans hand or chewed up their mail. They should be more respnsible and have a cage on the back of the letter box which catches all mail and prevents the dog from getting to any postmans/womans hand... I would definatly seek advice - I'm sure your sister in law can claim criminal damage. She was only going about her daily job and throu no fault of her own she has been injured. The owner of the dog must have to take some responsibility for their dogs actions.

I hope her hand isn't too damaged. I felt really sick when you described what hapened... must have been awful for her.

I'm sure NEXT must also have some kind of imsurance policy for all workers. If she was hurt in store she would have to fill in an injury book or form. This must also stand for off site - surely...

x

Thats awful hope op goes ok.
This happened to my dad a few yrs back, but not as bad as your sil he wasnt hospitalised. Anyway he put a claim in an was goin to sue but the owner had no insurance or somethin like that, anyway it got dropped but as far as i know she should be able to sue the owner.

I think actually your sister in law is within here rights to press charges, although the dog was on the owners property the owner has the responsibility of insuring that its does not harm anyone regardless of whre the dog is. If a dog is that vicious then a cage should be put round the letter box. I would suggest just popping to citizens advice and asking. I mean look at the at farmer bloke who set traps and shot those kids that broke into his property, he got sent down for it! and your SIL didnt even try to break in. Dog owners have a responsibility to make sure their dogs are kept under control. And your SIL could sue. When I was younger our dog managed to burrow out and escape from under the garden fence, ran onto the road and got hit by a car and killed, and we got sued for damages by the car driver.

Found this, hope it helps

Under the Dogs Act (1871), a Magistrates Court may hear a complaint that a dog is dangerous and not kept under proper control. The court has the power to make an order directing the dog to be kept under proper control or be destroyed if the dog is found to be dangerous. What is less well known is that this includes danger on an owner's private property to which other persons have a right of access. For example this may apply if a postman is bitten by a dog as he delivers mail through the letter box.

An injured party may also have grounds for a personal injury claim if they can establish the owner has been negligent in failing to take adequate precautions to ensure that the dog did not cause any injury

Agree with everything said above, yes it was on its territory *but* there's a big difference in what is reasonable in protecting that. Just think of the cases where people have whacked a burglar on their own property and been prosecuted. The owners MUST have known about this and should have taken adequate precaution, a beware of the dog sign is 50p, a wire rack should have been in place and again costs less than a tenner. IMHO unless they have a sign clearly stating "no deliveries" or some kind of warning then the dog is as good as loose.
I'd sue, wouldnt hesitate. Your sister was doing a job as REQUESTED by the owners of the property i.e a delivery therefore they should ensure her safety in completing her job.

Hope she's OK.

Thanks for all of your replies. She is in surgery now so I'll let you know when my brother rings me later.

I've now found out a bit more as my brother was a bit more 'with it' today. Seems it was only a little terrier type dog, but it jumped at her hand and it's jaws locked on her, then she had it's full weight hanging off her fingers. The only way she managed to get her hand out was to grab hold of the wrist with the other hand, put her foot against the door, and pull with the full weight of her body! :shock: Luckily a local window company (who everyone around here knows ) were working on the house opposite, they immediately ran over and were going to phone for an ambulance, but Lisa insisted she was taken home. My brother said the car was covered in blood. When she got home, she called her parents and they took her to the hospital. The surgeons are hoping to save the fingers, but she may lose feeling in a couple of them.

I've also been speaking to the local pub landlady's son who has just finished his second year of a law degree, and he says she should sue. You are all absolutely right when you have said that they should have kept the dog away from the door, or put something in place such as a rack to catch the post. She's lucky that she was not just pushing a junk letter through as well. As she was trying to deliver something they had ordered, knowingly next-day delivery, they had in effect invited her to push her hand through the letterbox, so she should be able to sue and claim on their house insurance.

I'll keep you updated as to how she is.

Thanks again for all of your replies.

OMG that's terrible! Your poor SIL! That's totally irresponsible not having a cage. I hope she wont be scared to go back to work ow, I know it would put me off delivering letters and I love dogs.

My gosh that's awful :( I hope she sues and wins hun, that dog nees putting down.
Keep us updated hun x

Your poor SIL :(

My yorkie jumps up and grabs anything that is put through the door, luckily she wouldn't reach fingers properly. She sits in front of the door every single day waiting for the postie to come! :shock: She'll stay there for hours, sat, looking up at the letterbox.

My dog in his youth (he's very old now and hardly moves) once bit a postman, when he put his hand through the door. We never knew he was that possessive and fully co-operated with the post office but in the end they decided not to make a complaint. Since that day we always took precautions to make sure it never happened again, i.e. ,ade sure the door was always closed beteween the living room and the hall, put a wire thing round it etc etc. I don't think the dog should be put down, the owners should have been more responsible.

I hope your sister in law is ok, I was bit by a Staffie when I was a kid and it was scary. I think people forget dogs are animals at times :(

sure she can sue the dog owners, but i dont know wether he taking legal action on the owners will mean the dog will be put down :cry:

Its such a shame what happened to her and if i was her id go for every penny i could..but not if it meant the dog been killed.

I been bit by a dog before and i never said anything cause i was too worried about the dog been hurt :( Its such a complicated situation. I dont think the dog needs putting down at all!!! he was just protecting his house...he is a dog, dogs do this sometimes!!! its not their fault its the owners fault for not taking the precautions needed! Something was been pushed through the door the dog probably didnt mean to hurt her but just jump up and grab whatever was coming into his house, play with a rope with a dog and he wont let go!!! do you say he is dangerous then? The dog probably dosnt go attacking people when out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back