another child mauled and killed by a 'dog'

Squiglet said:
People are right, poor handling of dogs is responsible for most dog attack cases.

absolutely.

all animals, if not treated and trained properly, can be dangerous.

to suggest that some breeds of dog are more dangerous than others is a nonsense - its just that some dogs are bigger and more powerful than others and can cause more damage. but the dogs are not to blame, its the owners.

its so tragic when events like this happen :( :(

but budge, if all dogs have the potential to be dangerous and should be put down (bar working dogs) then surely your argument should extend to all cars having the potential to kill therefore all drivers should be banned? lets face it, cars kill and injure a far higher ratio of children and adults every year.

Ooo and I got mauled by my mums budgie, Jimmy (I fooking hated that bird) broke the skin and everything, then it swore at me.. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: and what did my mum say... Awww he doesn't understand, you must have upset him... he wouldn't hurt a fly... I was so glad when he died. :x Just wish I'd done it... :x

I love my 10 stone Bull Mastiff and i admit that i probably am one if those parents that make a lot of you roll their eyes. Thea plays with Baileys and has done since she was tiny. She sits on her, cuddles her and strokes her all day. Baileys knows her place and if she doesn't want to play with Thea then she moves to another room. Thea knows she doesn't follow Baileys because that's what she's been taught to do.
Baileys lays outside of Thea's door every night and during the day if she is in her cot having a nap. If we are out walking she will put herself between us and another person until I've told its OK.
She's a big dog and we treat her with the respect a big dog should get, she is well trained and we took all the right steps in introducing Baileys to the baby when Thea was born. It never even entered my head to get rid of her because we were having a baby. I did get lots of stupid and negative comments from other people though. I know people look at Baileys and think she must be a bad dog because she is a big dog.
I love my dog and made sure that we had set the groundwork from my daughter and my dog to have a good relationship. If Baileys had shown aggression to Thea then she would have been gone, like wise if she showed aggression now then obviously my daughters safety would come first. If people are sensible there's no reason why dogs and kids cant live safely in the same house.

Melanie said:
I love my 10 stone Bull Mastiff and i admit that i probably am one if those parents that make a lot of you roll their eyes. Thea plays with Baileys and has done since she was tiny. She sits on her, cuddles her and strokes her all day. Baileys knows her place and if she doesn't want to play with Thea then she moves to another room. Thea knows she doesn't follow Baileys because that's what she's been taught to do.
Baileys lays outside of Thea's door every night and during the day if she is in her cot having a nap. If we are out walking she will put herself between us and another person until I've told its OK.
She's a big dog and we treat her with the respect a big dog should get, she is well trained and we took all the right steps in introducing Baileys to the baby when Thea was born. It never even entered my head to get rid of her because we were having a baby. I did get lots of stupid and negative comments from other people though. I know people look at Baileys and think she must be a bad dog because she is a big dog.
I love my dog and made sure that we had set the groundwork from my daughter and my dog to have a good relationship. If Baileys had shown aggression to Thea then she would have been gone, like wise if she showed aggression now then obviously my daughters safety would come first. If people are sensible there's no reason why dogs and kids cant live safely in the same house.

you're right, we need to pick up the first signs of aggression and make decision straight away, and not think 'well, it's only happened once, it won't happen again". animals are so unpredictable...

Baileys and Thea together are absolutely adorable Melanie, I def dont think it is wrong - in fact Thea has her very own furry bodyguard :lol:

How long have u had Baileys for?

mummykay said:
Baileys and Thea together are absolutely adorable Melanie, I def dont think it is wrong - in fact Thea has her very own furry bodyguard :lol:

How long have u had Baileys for?

Baileys is 4.5 years old and we got her when she was 10 weeks old. She's my big furry monster :rotfl:

Squiglet said:
then it swore at me.. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: and what did my mum say... Awww he doesn't understand, you must have upset him...

Now a swearing budgie is where I would draw the line! :shakehead: I'm just thankful that my cat Max can't talk! :shock:

Animals can be nice,friendly,playful and loving,but at the end of the day,they're animals.I've been kicked,bitten,squished and thrown by a succession of mental horses including my own.I bet more people are killed by horses than dogs,but you wouldn't go and kill all horses would you? Animals have their own reasons for doing things,which is why they should be respected.

I've just discovered a REALLY interesting fact.....more people go to hospital per year with HUMAN bites than they do DOG bites!!!!!

Thats gotta say something :lol:

there are loads of fact but being bitten by an human or a dog are both wrong and i just hope that all these people that say my dog is soft and would never hurt anyone never live to regrett their words and i am not just on about on here, people are saying it on a number of sites i go on

glitzyglamgirl said:
I've just discovered a REALLY interesting fact.....more people go to hospital per year with HUMAN bites than they do DOG bites!!!!!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Melanie said:

I totally agree mel :D
I have had my black lab for 8 years (my mum had her for 2) Dan plays with her, strokes her, gives his toys to her! She is the sofest docile dog I have ever had. Because she was a rescue dog she has a very timid and placid nature. It took a long time for her not to be scared around humans (because of the digusting treatment she recieved when a puppy). I have seen her attacked by other dogs and cats, even in her own home and it has been her who has ran out scared. Not all dogs attack when cornered. Domesticated dogs are individuals with their own personality and characters. Obvioulsy as a responsible dog owner I do keep watch over Dan and my dog.............as with every species (including humans) there is a tiny element of unpredictability. I am glad Dan will be raised in a home that is taught how to love and take care of animals (we have 2 cats too!) and I look forward to them spending days at the beach and park together :D

god budge... never happy unless ur causign trouble :roll: :rotfl:

:D

My view on this is animals should never be left with children alone.

As simple as that.

Animals deserve respect. Even if highly trained they could change in an instant.

Not all dogs are nasty tho, my big puppy German Shephard (8years old now) is obviously a breed which scares a lot of people, he is the softest thing youve ever met, take for instant the otehr day, Leo my nephew (hes a big lad ;) ) STOOD on ty's KNACKERS :shock:

And all ty did was look at me mum as if to say get him off.

Didnt snap bark lurch or anything.

But STIL even knowing how soft he is

We would NEVER leave him alone wtih teh babies...

Its as simple as that.

NEVER leave ur children unattended EVEN if you are convinced ur pet is well trained etc..

Shame these other parents/grandparents do not feel the same.

These tragedys could and should have been avoided!!

Well said Lozzi!

I think its a shame the media have reacted the way they have....blaming dogs instead of making sure people know the facts, it could potentially cause a lot more harm. :cry:

glitzyglamgirl said:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: what the heck.....

When i was about 2 my mum took me to my grans. She took me out of the car and let me run up the garden path whilst she got stuff out of the car. The next door neighbours dog jumped the wall and pinned me against the wall of my grans and barked until someone came out. It was an alsation. Needless to say when my grandma and grandad came out after hearing my screams, the dog was dragged off me and the owner was devastated.
The dog wasnt in the wrong though....it was protecting my grandma and grandad from what it though was an intruder even though i was tiny. It never bit or hurt me but from then on i was terrified of dogs and still am very wary of them.
Any dog can snap if something triggers it off.

Whether you've got a Rottwieler or a Chihauhau - they can both be aggressive.
How can anyone blame the breed? It's the irrisponsible owners! There are some lovely natured Rotties out there. If they ban them there is something wrong with this world :x

I wish people would stop blaming certain breeds!

I dont know if anyone remembers, but in the 80's there was a media pushed public paranoia about Cocker Spaniels because they can, but very rarely, suffer a condition known as "Rage Syndrome" where they suddenly and viscously attack their owners for no reason.

There was a story about once incident, then all of a sudden the media portrayed it in the same way they are now, and everyone thought that ALL Cocker Spaniels were these little ticking time bombs of fur fury.

Its just the same now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back