another child mauled and killed by a 'dog'

I love rottweilers, i grew up with 2 and they were the most lovable dogs - because we looked after them and loved them

It all depends on the owners treatment of a dog for it to go good or bad - there have been labradors that have bitten, dalmations and alsations too so dont tar all rots with the same brush - its not fair

Dogs arn't pets, they are pack animals.... As I said in a previous post, my dad was a dog handler and we had many large dogs, trained to attack, search for cadavers/drugs/bombs...

I can never see dogs as pets, they are animals and they are best put to use working PURELY because they love to work and have something to do.

You also need a deep respect for them... they can and will attack you if they feel they must, and I am not just talking big dogs... small yappy type dogs too, except you can kick them harder than they can attack. As for children, some understand the pack system, others don't. We have had dogs that would have torn me apart.....and others that would have torn anyone coming near me apart in protection. As I said they are pack animals, they live by pack rules.

I have seen good dogs and bad dogs... but at the end of the day, my dad was trained to handle dogs properly, and they were put in their place....

I would never own a dog as a pet. I don't like dogs, I don't trust them but they have their uses. And I don't think a whole breed should be put down as a concequence... I think people shouldn't be allowed to own dogs unless they have had training and a licence. But then really some parents need the same thing :rotfl:

My son was bitten twice by a family dog, once he stood on its tail and woke it up and it bit his lip and took a big chunk(my son was 3)
And the second time it yapped at him and caught his eye! The owner of the dog(my ex mil) then vowed to keep this dog outside from then on.
It now has a nice warm kennel in the garden and are not allowed in the house whilst my children are there!
Yet she still says "He wouldn't hurt a fly" Yeah right!
Accidents happen...even if the dog is brought up by nice owners!
It only takes a moment...eg...my son stepping on a tail.
Dogs are ANIMALS and eat meat and ALL should muzzled...
better to be safe than sorry :hug: [/b]

[I have seen good dogs and bad dogs... but at the end of the day, my dad was trained to handle dogs properly, and they were put in their place....

I would never own a dog as a pet. I don't like dogs, I don't trust them but they have their uses. And I don't think a whole breed should be put down as a concequence... I think people shouldn't be allowed to own dogs unless they have had training and a licence. But then really some parents need the same thing :rotfl:[/quote]

I agree - we have a friend in Holland who used to train police dogs. He does now have a dog as a pet but it lives in a kennel in the garden and it definately knows its place. At the end of the day a dog is an animal - I never encourage my children to go near dogs and TBH my daughter is scared of them which probably comes from me - but I think that this fear is a good thing. I do think rotweillers need to be mussled though!

my cousins got a 4 month old rottweiler and shes got 3 kids, her youngest is 3..

budge said:
im not a dog lover and would be hgappy to see all non working dogs culled.

I have a little Shi Tzu whom I love dearly, and if some narrow minded idiot like yourself came to door trying to MURDER my dog :evil:

I agree sweetcheeks :clap:

And just to add the most visious dogs I have ever met are Jack Russels, They should be on the dangerous dogs list too.
Labradors attack a lot of people too but you never hear of those cases because they are seen as nice helpful animals :roll:

i dont like dogs, but i wouldnt like to see them killed :(

its horrific that children can be killed by them, but the dogs dont kno any better its the owners who are responsible :x
one who owns a dog should not even let it near children and take heavy precautions when letting it near adults. stupid owners who dont do this should be put down, not the dogs

trixipaws said:
i dont like dogs, but i wouldnt like to see them killed :(

its horrific that children can be killed by them, but the dogs dont kno any better its the owners who are responsible :x
one who owns a dog should not even let it near children and take heavy precautions when letting it near adults. stupid owners who dont do this should be put down, not the dogs

:clap: :clap: :clap:

There are lots of great arguments here, but come on lots of animals bite - my cats included and my hamster, I certainly wouldnt have them culled.

But what happened is awful, but all dogs are unpredictable and owning a dog you have a responsibilty to train it properly and be responsible. I cetainly wouldnt of left a baby on the care of a 7 year old and as the story states the auntie was upstairs, where were all the adults?

But it is stories like this that I dont have a dog and not that the family is grieving for a lost son, they dont need ll this crap.

i am not a dog lover at all, they scare me.

But my mum bought a lovely chocolate lab who is now 7 months old, he loves my son and follows him all round the house playing and being his friend, i admit because of my fear of dogs i will and do watch them both playing with a very close eye, but i would NEVER want an innocent animal killed or even suggest it.

You can't assume all dogs are killers, most dogs are brought up as a family member and are treated with respect and lots of love.

TBH all this talk of a mass cull is just silly. Come on, it's never gonna happen anyway so why waste time discussing how wrong it would be?! It's stupid!

We could all talk about what we're going to do when we live on the moon but that's never gonna happen either so why bother?

MissSara said:
You can't assume all dogs are killers, most dogs are brought up as a family member and are treated with respect and lots of love.

I think thats half the trouble though, they arent family members like a sibling. But this dog was outside.

I dont think all dogs are killers but they have the potential to be so. As do I. I could kill someone right now. But I dont.

Urchin said:
TBH all this talk of a mass cull is just silly. Come on, it's never gonna happen anyway so why waste time discussing how wrong it would be?! It's stupid!

We could all talk about what we're going to do when we live on the moon but that's never gonna happen either so why bother?

Very true!!!

well its each to their own how the treat their dogs and my family want to treat it like a family member then they will do.
Like it has been said, the talk of mass cull isn't going to happen and this debate could go on and on for ever over the way dogs are treated.

Everyone brings their children up in different ways and that is execptable so why shouldn't it be for dogs?

Miss sara, you mst have take this personally about your family but I was talking about dogs / owners in general. Im guilty of it with my cat. :D

Its like kids, if you let them run riot they will act bad.

If you treat a dog like a person, it will get confused about the boundaries, get confused and most likely respond with a nip, or worse. Its not the dogs fault.

I don't like dogs but wouldn't like them to be killed.

I agree with lauramum, dogs have the potential to kill just as humans do. Some dog's kill, some don't, just like humans. Because the small minority of humans murder does that mean that all humans should be killed aswell? Probably not :roll:

Think the thing we should remember is this was a terrible accident. Dog wasn't around the baby. The baby was took out to see the dog by a 7 year old whilst his aunty was upstairs. Sure they are all deeply traumatised about it and my thoughts and :pray: goes out to them all. I'm sure they'll punish themselves enough.

I don't know what the solution is to these terrible things that happen, Its down to the owners to take proper precautions with their dogs but I'm not sure how we can make sure that happens :?

Anyway I'm gonna go and give pooch a big hug and kiss :hug:

my Dad has a girl Rottweiler & she is 6 so is huge, i hardly go round there as we aren't really close, but i have never wanted my children arond her as she doesn't like & isn't used to children, so she could get fed up with the noise/teasing from the kids & go for one of the kids.
so i chose not to go round there, he can come here, or a few years ago i went there & he put the dogs outside.

we have just got rid of our dog as it was very aggressive towards nathan- he was fine before and we loved him but id had enough and he had to go.
we tried to re home him for 6 months we tried every rescue centre in a 50 mile radius, the dogs trust, the vet, the dog warden and no one would help us. we phoned the vet in the end and asked for him to be put down- thinking they would say oh no we will help you and they said yeah just make an appointment?? :?
in the end the dog warden told us to remove our details from the microchip and hand him into the vets (off record of course) as a stray.
i hate it when people say oh its the owners- we tried eveything with him, he was fine before and with other kids he just took a dislike to nathan.
i dont trust dogs at all now and would never own another.
i just couldnt beleive that no one would help us? the best one was they couldnt help cos we werent in reciept of benefits :shakehead:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back