Anaesthetic/Op during pregnancy

BabyBrain

Reaction score
Hi ladies
Just wondering if anyone has had to have any procedures whilst being pregnant. I'm looking at cyst drainage at best or removal with open surgery at the worst. I'm frightened out of my mind about my baby and would prefer to stay awake all the way through it if possible.
I've never had a major GA before but have had minor surgery with a local and even eye surgery without any anaesthetic at all (went private and couldn't even afford local).
I know it's hard to say until I speak to the surgeon but would like some first hand knowledge of this during pregnancy.

The safest time to do this, from my research is at 14-16 weeks which is lucky and whilst I have been tempted with a watch and wait on the ovarian cyst the type I have can cause miscarriage or pre-term labour, and yet there's always a risk with surgery as well :wall2:

I just feel like I'm stuck between a dog and a lamp post xxxxxxxxxx

Babybrain i haven't, but my old boss's wife had a similar prcodure last year whilst she was pregnant with her second - and from memory she was about 15 weeks ish.

Pretty sure she had a GA...but she was absolutely fine afterwards..had a couple of weeks off work to recouperate but went on to have a healthy boy called Theo in April.

Personally I'd rather had a GA...have had a fair few ops in my life with local and GA, ands it GA every time for me..i hate knowing whats going on!

I guess the best person to tell you about these things is the surgeon..they'll know whats best for you and baby

I do hope you're feeling better about things today xxx

Thanks becky, feeling stronger today and trying to think rationally rather than curling up into a rather fat little ball :) xxxxxxxxx

I agree a GA will be less stressful, but the surgeon is the one to ask, they aren't gonna do anything put u or bubs at more risk than they need to x

I'd be en lined to go with GA as well, then you wouldn't stress, cos you wouldn't know what's happening. If that makes sense. But as the girls said go wit the docs., hope everything goes ok. xxx

Glad to hear you're feeling stronger today. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back