Is it safe???

glittergirl

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Quick question. I'm approx 5 weeks pregnant and i have a dentists appointment on Monday 5th December.

I know i will be having a local anaesthetic injection and i'm concerned that this will be harmful to my baby.

I have rang my doctors surgery and the helpful advice i got was "I would speak to your dentist". My first thought was surely the docs would be more clued up?

So i'm asking you ladies as you have been so helpful in the past.

hi hun, im not too sure about local anaesthetic and best bet is to call the dentist. The doc should have been more helpful to be honest! :x I know X-Rays are a definate no-no though

x

There was a thread about this in Off Topic iirc yesterday

http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54852

TBH pregnant women can have dental treatment through pregnancy. I think its fair enough your GP says to ask your dentist as he/she is the one carrying out the treatment. Its a different field from what your GP does.

I'd call your dentist direct. They should be able to tell you and save you worrying. It really is better to hear it from the horses mouth as he/she will be the one carrying out the procedure.

Also if its something like a straightforward filling, you could always go without the injection. I rarely bother with numbing for a filling and have never had a problem during the procedure. I find it more uncomfortable having a jab and waiting for its effects to wear off. My dentist is happy to not inject me and is always careful when drilling.

I had a filling during my last pregnancy with no problems at all.

Defo. phone the dentist direct - they will advise the best course of action.

Thanks ladies

I just rang my dentist and as its the only chance i've had today and they are closed.
I'll give them a call on Monday morning and see what they say.
I'll post back here on Monday.

Thanks again xxxx

I'm sure you can have treatments at the dentist while you are pregnant, you just have to tell them and they change stuff if need be..... also it's free remember!! I didn't have my free prescription card last time but the dentist still didn't charge me!!

I have had much more problems with my teeth since being pregnant and have visited the dentist very often.

I have had a tooth out, and temp fillings without any problems or concerns for the baby. The dentist did not want to give me a real filling for some reason though.

I am sure the dentist will not do anything to you that will put your lo at risk. xxx

You need to inform your dentist you are pregnant. When you go for appointments they should automatically go through your health questionnaire you filled in when you registered to see if there is any changes and they will mark down you are preg and highlight it.

I'm having a filling replaced on my front tooth next friday (had check up on monday)

You should definitely go to your dentist and have your teeth cleaned regulary while pregnant... Dental hygiene is incredibly important while pregnant.

There was an old saying... Loose a tooth for every baby... and in the case of my mum and grandmother this was true... they both got bad gum disease when pregnant.

It is unlikely that they will give you an anaesthetic or fillings... but they will clean your teeth which can be rather uncomfortable if your gums are quite inflammed.

Again its not so much that the anaesthetics are dangerous during pregnancy, its just that they haven't been tested on pregnant women so therefore cannot be declared safe.. After all many women have minor and major operations under general anaesthetics, which are far more dangerous, as well as local anaesthetics, and go on to have happy, healthy babies. Obviously in some cases women will require a filling and anaesthetic while pregnant.

However, if you mention to your dentist about being pregnant, they will be able to advise you further based on your personal situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back