am dead scared of op..... help

Reaction score
Had 21 day blood test, ok
DH had his test, ok

Just been to docs for next stage expecting something like a swab or scan or something.

He says it's a general anaesthetic and key hole surgery....... frightens the life out of me. I know I'm being a wimp and I keep thinking of all those little children who've bravely had loads of operations whilst I've never even broken my arm.

But... has anyone had this proceedure and if so please can you reasure me that it's no big deal. I'm bricking myself here :cry:

Hi :wave: , it seems that you are talking a laparoskopy?? I haven't had it done but my sister did. I don't know many details but know that after she woke up she felt a bit sore.. the next day she was sent home from the hospital and within a week was back at work. She said that it wasn't really that scarry as she thought it would be.. ( sorry, can't really help, but didn't want to read and run).. Be strong and take care :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thanks Petra..

Now I've slept on it I feel better. Doc says after you've been trying for 2yrs+ they whip you straight in , which could mean I get my first appointment in a few weeks time. This is what scares the life outta me :oops:

Dont worry, I had it done in November and if you check out my TTC diary (link in sig) you'll see I was home and posting all about it just a few hours after the op, in no pain atall!

You'll be fine :hug:

I'm waiting for this op too. From what others have told me it's quite pain free but you may feel sore for a day or two afterwards. It's all over in an hour and you're out the same day. I'm waiting for my appointment to come through. Let me know when you have yours :hug:

I had this done in sept 06 and it was fine. Bit sore getting off my sofa and out of bed for a few days. Wouldn't hesitate to have it done again if needed.

Hazel said:
I had this done in sept 06 and it was fine. Bit sore getting off my sofa and out of bed for a few days. Wouldn't hesitate to have it done again if needed.

How soon did you get the results after it? I'm cacking myself more about the results than having the actual thing done.

I had ovarian drilling and the blue dye put through my tubes. I was told everything went ok as soon as I woke up.
Unfortunately the ovarian drilling didn't do anything for me but I think if I was given fertility drugs within 3 months of it I might have had some response.
What are they doing the lap for?

THanks for your support guys.

Hazel
Well my GP said it was the next step... they would put some camera inside and check my internal organs and put some dye in.

I always have a 28day cycle and Ov around day 15 so I think he said something about finding out why egg and sperm are not connecting.

Have to say it sounds a bit drastic

Notty
Hope yours goes well m8

:)

Just want to reassure you...a laparoscopy is not that bad. the worst bit is the waiting to go in and have it done. I had mine done in Jan and was a bit sore for a couple of days after, but nothing that a few painkillers and relaxing couldn't sort out.

You should take it easy for a week or so afterwards, and no heavy lifting for a while cos it takes a while to heal internally even if you have healed externally.

If you have the dye you may find that your wee is blue!

Took about a month to get the results on paper, but the consultant did come round while i was recovering from the anaesthetic to briefly say what he had found.

Goodluck

Hi :wave:

Never had this done myself but........I am a theatre nurse and have spent a lot of time in theatre assisting with these procedures and it only takes about 15 minutes to have a look. You may get away with only 2 keyholes (3 if they do some treatment) being made and there is only 1 stitch in each incision (one in the bellybutton and one in the lower abdomen). It's a pretty minor procedure to be honest - good luck! :pray:

Hi, dont worry too much (easier said than done!). Ive had 5 laparoscopy's and a laparotomy (which is a bigger one, check me out boasting!!). The laparscopy's are very basic and such a quick procedure. They have a good poke around, and I was a little bruised as surgeons are the gentliest of creatures, and I had a little pain in my shoulder (apparently is air, or trapped wind or something) but I was home the next day and fully recovered within a few days.

Hope it goes well (if you havent had it done already), but dont worry, its good to find out whats actually going on. I had mine to diagnose endometriosis and the last one was to remove a tube and ovary and even that wasnt that painful (and they might give you nice drugs too!).

Good luck :wink:

thanks guys hope all goes well for you all :dance:

thanks guys hope all goes well for you all :dance:

I had this op on Wednesday so i'm still in recovery mode. Not pleasant but not as bad as i thought. I had the op at 8.30 am and i was discharged at 6pm. The op took one and a half hours but as you're under GA it doesn't affect you. I also had the dye - they use this to see if the ovaries are doing their job properly. I think mine was longer because they found endometriosis and they had to burn alot of it away so yours may be shorter. The worst thing was the excessive gas that remains in the body when you wake up... three days on and i'm feeling alot more human. I would recommend you go through this because it will give you the answers you need and the painkillers are amazing :wink:
Good luck and let us know how you get on. Pm me if you need anymore advice :hug:

I had a laparoscopy Nov 2006 - was a bit sore afterwards but was home the next day and felt absolutely fine a few days later. I have a small scar in my bely button and another just below my bikini line. The weirdest thing was that my 'bits' swelled up!! LOL - the consultant said it was due to the gas they pump into you so they can see everything clearly. Thankfully it didn't last more than a day or 2!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back