Amnio tomorrow following 1:5 risk

PinkFairy

Reaction score
Hi, I am 12 weeks pregnant and having an amnio tomorrow following my CBT which has come up with a 1:5 risk of my child having Edwards Syndrome. Any advice or help would be really appreciated. Thanks

Hi PinkFairy,
Sorry I have no experience/advice, but just want to wish you the very best of luck for tomorrow xx

Thank you so much. And the very best of luck to you too xx

Well, when I spoke to the hospital they said we'd get the results within 5 days. But I've been reading up on it and apparently you can pay to get the results fast-tracked probably within 2 days. So we'll go for that if we can.

I wasn't worried about the actual test because I didn't think it would be painful but now I've read some cases where it's been excruciating! I think I'll stop reading now!

How are you doing? You are undergoing IVF is that right?

I've only joined this forum today so am not really used to all the abbreviations and symbols etc.....:roll:

It's a shame you have to pay extra to get the results quicker. I'd definitely pay the money too, but why can't they get ALL the results done in two days..?

I've heard amnios are uncomfortable but bearable. It's probably varies a lot for different people, but try and stay relaxed (if possible!!). Can your OH (other half :)) go in with you when you're having it done?

Yes we're on our second round of IVF. We'll know one way or the other if it's worked by next weekend. The first try worked but sadly miscarried at about 8 weeks. I hate all the medical intervention... would love to have just a natural pregnancy!

Welcome to the forum by the way :) There's lots of lovely ladies on here. I think less people come into this section, but you'll soon find out where all the busy sections are :)

I'm logging off for the day now - going to see my folks, and I tend not to get chance to log on much in the week, but I'll be checking next weekend how things go for you tomorrow. I've got everything crossed for you xxx

Hi pink fairy
All the best for tomorrow.
I had an amnio on the 31st of may.
It didn't hurt at all, just a little scratch, like taking blood, then felt some pressure when they took fluid.
It's the waiting that's agonising.
Sadly my baby does have Edwards.
I hadn't even heard of it before. I really hope all goes well.
Please take advice literally and totally rest for a few days afterwards xx

Oh yes, he'll be there with me. I used to have a very high pain threshold but I think it diminishes with age (I'm 44) and now even plucking my eyebrows makes me wince!

So sorry to hear of your miscarriage. I came into this section because I had one at about 8 weeks too (2 years ago) and another one at 6 weeks (a year ago).

All the intervention WILL be worth it for you both in the end.

Thanks for the welcome, it's been fun chatting and it's cheered me up :)

Very, very best of luck to you too with finding out next weekend. Let me know how it goes....xxxx

Hi Twilly
Thanks so much for getting in contact and for the advice. I hadn't heard of Edwards before either.
I am so sorry to hear your news. If you don't mind me asking what was your risk? If you would rather not say or talk about it, I will perfectly understand.
xxx

There was an abnormality found with the baby's tummy on the 12 week scan, so I had to wait a month for the amnio.
I didnt have any bloods taken, as they felt this outweighed it, so I'm not sure what it would have shown.
I am carrying on with the pregnancy and have a 20 week scan on Tuesday.
I really hope all goes well.
You are welcome to private message me anytime if you want to.

Thanks for sharing that with me xx
I'm not sure how to private message?

Just click on a persons name and it should come up with option to private message them Hun x

Have sent you a message too.
Thinking of you for tomorrow, I really mean that.
Big hugs x

Hi Pinkfairy!

I didn't have the amnio, but had the CVS at around 13 weeks. I was high risk for Downs rather than Edwards and opted for the CVS (sample of placenta) rather than the amnio. Nevertheless, the worry and process is all the same. Just wanted to let you know that although it was slightly uncomfortable, it was totally managable. I think the only reason it was uncomfortable anyway was because it is unlike any other sensation I had ever felt before...hope that makes sense!

As Twilly has already said, make sure you rest properly for at least 48 hours afterwards. You'll feel tired anyway, but make sure your hubby does all the running around after you!

Good luck with it all. I'll be thinking of you! xx

Thank you very much for that.

I actually had the CVS too, same as you I'm 13 weeks, so it's too early for the amnio. It wasn't as painful as I had expected, just felt a bit strange. Obviously more strange for my partner though, he nearly passed out!

Now for the hard bit.........waiting for the results :-(

How did your results go? xx

I have no experience of this sorry but I wanted to wish you good luck with the results.

Welcome to pregnancy forum! Hope you enjoy it here Xx

Good luck, hope they get back to you asap with the results , as it's the waiting that's the hard bit.

I had a CVS at 14 weeks with my pregnancy, I had a 1 in 9 risk of any of the big three probs, inc downs and Edwards. We were lucky and we got the all clear on the big 3 within a few days and then waited for postal confirmation for all the rest 2 weeks later, all was fine. Baby has been born and no problems, as I did worry they missed something.

I am wishing you alll the luck in the world for your results

Twilly - I am so sorry your results came back positive, and I'm sending you lots of baby dust for your little one during his pregnancy, birth and journey into the world to meet youXX

Last edited:
Thank you very much for that.

I actually had the CVS too, same as you I'm 13 weeks, so it's too early for the amnio. It wasn't as painful as I had expected, just felt a bit strange. Obviously more strange for my partner though, he nearly passed out!

Now for the hard bit.........waiting for the results :-(

How did your results go? xx

Aaah, I see. Glad to hear that is wasn't as bad as you thought it would be. We paid the extra money to have the results within 24hrs. I was told to call them the next day at around 5pm, but they actually called me at around 4pm to give me the all clear. It was such a relief, but at the same time I was petrified of losing the baby because of the procedure. Babies are pretty tough and I believed that if I was to miscarry, then maybe there was something else wrong anyway.

Remember to rest up and you'll get your results before you know it! xx

i've not gone through this but just read your story, i really hope you get a good result and welcome to PF xx

Thanks to everyone for their kind messages.

I am still waiting for the results. Unfortunately we didn't have the option to fast-track them. To put it mildly, the waiting is hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back