Alcohol

mandspice

Reaction score
"new" advice came out today, although it doesn't seem to have changed since the other new advice last year:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/lifestyle ... 4920080326

Sooooo - who's had a drink? :lol:

I drank nothing for the first 12 weeks (even though it was Xmas and my birthday :( ) but have now got into the habit of having 1 small glass of red wine on a Saturday. Everyone has their opinion on this but personally I don't believe such a small amount can do any harm, especially as the advice not to drink has only been in place for around a year.

I haven't drunk since early Nov as had IUI and wasn't allowed to mix booze with the injections. I'm out the habit now and don't even miss it.

I've got some 0.05% wine in the fridge that I've been saving. I'm scared to drink it though as I might get drunk on it :lol:

I haven't had a drink since i got my BFP. (apart from a sip of my OH champagne at new year).
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

and I'm really surprised at how strong i have been because i used to drink far far too much before i got pregnant and thought it was great if i missed one night of having no alcohol. So i cannot believe I've gone from one extreme to the other but i'm pleased i have, especially with all of the reports that are coming out to do with alcohol not just with pregnancy but with aging and cancer etc etc

I'm hoping by the time i've finished breast feeding my old bad habit will be long gone and i won't be tempted to return to my old ways

LMP x

i haven't had a drop since i found out i was pregnant, which was really early (about 3 weeks).

to be honest, and sorry if i offend anyone with this comment....but how hard is it to stay off alcohol for a mere 9 months for the sake of your baby?!

I know the advice is changing all the time and no-one can be sure, but i'm of the opinion that what goes into my body goes into my baby's, and whilst a small glass of wine wouldn't affect me, i'm sure it has an affect on a baby, no matter how slight. Also, given the fact that no-one knows the affect, surely its better to ere on the side of caution?!

I think for the sake of 9 months, and the fact that no-on KNOWS the effect really it should be easy to stay off. I read an article with Kerry Catona (knob head, lol) and she said "i can't go 9 whole months without a drink" - well i'm sorry but i think that's pretty pathetic.

I've been kind of glad to break the habit too to be honest. My dh hardly drinks and I was getting through a couple of bottles of red at the weekend- on my own just watching a film or tv :oops: I was worried cos I thought I was developing a bit of a habit- the Polish blood in me I think! Now I'm happy to stay away from it. One of the 1st things my old manager said to me when I told her was 'oohhh, no alcohol for you young lady' which really annoyed me as if I needed her being so condescending and my dh's uncle said 'how are you coping without a drink' as if its the only thing that keeps me going in life! Think I must have developed a bit of a reputation!

No alcohol for me since I found out I was pregnant at 3.5 weeks. I even didn't have a drink on my birthday just in case I was pregnant which was 2 days before I found out I was pregnant.

If I was going to a wedding I would have a bucks fizz but otherwise I'm planning on staying tee total again through this pregnancy.

I've bought some alcohol free wine from Sainsburys which I'll try out as an alternative.

It's a small sacrifice to make for a few months.

I'll be looking forward to that glass of vino afterwards and a bowl of garlic and white wine mussels......yummmmyyyyyyy

I have not had any alcohol since getting my BFP, although I found out on the 18th Jan, and had already drank loads over Christmas and New Year without knowing I was pregnant :roll:
I don't think its too hard to avoid alcohol for the sake of your LO. It's like everything else, I only have warm baths now, no runny eggs, mayonnaise, pate, I even don't have my hair coloured anymore :shock: I know you can't believe everything you read, and I have no critisism for anyone for what they do during their pregnancy, I just know that if anything was ever wrong with my LO then I have done everything possible that I could have done to protect him/her, and give them the best start in life.

i havent drunk a drop since finding out i was pregnant. i just dont see the point of even risking it. even when people say oh you can have one, i think whats the point. everything i experience the LO has to too.

I haven't had a drop since I found out, which wasn't until January, so had a few before xmas, but none xmas day or new year even though I didn't know.

I think I may have a drop of white with lemonade on my birthday (June) but OH is holding me back on that one! x

Just me so far then :lol:

I admire your abstinence and understand exactly where you're all coming from - I've weighed up my overall diet and made the right decision for me but it's great that we're all so careful for our precious LOs' sake xx

Can't say I've had a drink with this baby so far. I used to have one drink if I went out when pregnant with my son but I'm too skint to go out anymore :lol: Don't see much wrong with having a drink every now and then if that's what you wanna do!

:oops: I had no idea I was pregnant at Christmas and was off my head because it was the first christmas in about 5years with my family. But I knew for myself that I didn't want too put my body through another beating on newyear so didn't drink at all then found on the 14th of Jan I was having Pip. I will drink a glass of Champagne at my Big sisters wedding, just one though.

I'm probably going to get shot for this. BUT my dh and his family are Irish so I had a glass of guiness on Paddy's day :oops: I also had a glass of guiness at christmas :oops: . When I was pregnant wih Rebekah I had a can every week, as the guidelines were different then. My mum drank it with all five of us on a regular basis, because it was supposed to have iron in it, think it only contains a tiny tiny bit though. Guiness used to use the slogan 'a baby in every bottle'. We were all big bouncing baby's and my mum is convinced it was the guiness :?

I don't think it makes me a bad person and it doesn't make me love my baby any less. I'm a healthy person, took my folic acid 3 months before conception up until 12 weeks etc, don't smoke, so I don't think any harm has been done.

xx

clairedoran said:
I'm probably going to get shot for this. BUT my dh and his family are Irish so I had a glass of guiness on Paddy's day :oops: I also had a glass of guiness at christmas :oops: . When I was pregnant wih Rebekah I had a can every week, as the guidelines were different then. My mum drank it with all five of us on a regular basis, because it was supposed to have iron in it, think it only contains a tiny tiny bit though. Guiness used to use the slogan 'a baby in every bottle'. We were all big bouncing baby's and my mum is convinced it was the guiness :?

I don't think it makes me a bad person and it doesn't make me love my baby any less. I'm a healthy person, took my folic acid 3 months before conception up until 12 weeks etc, don't smoke, so I don't think any harm has been done.

xx

:D My mum drank looooads of Guinness when she was having my oldest brother because of the Iron thing.....It might be good.....my brother owns a brewery and about 12 pubs in and around Bristol now hehe. Might of had something to do with mums Guinness habits!!!

Gingercubes said:
clairedoran said:

xx

:D My mum drank looooads of Guinness when she was having my oldest brother because of the Iron thing.....It might be good.....my brother owns a brewery and about 12 pubs in and around Bristol now hehe. Might of had something to do with mums Guinness habits!!!

I feel less guilty now :oops: Most people don't like the taste of it but I do!

xx

I had a few drinks on Christmas Eve and would have just conceived at that point but I haven't had anything else since I found out on New Years Day. My OH has upped his beer intake though as he was teetotal during the last six months of us TTC. He says he is drinking for us both :lol: I was never a big drinker before so I don't miss it that much. Strangely over the last week I have been craving a cigarette (I gave up the month before I fell pregnant). I'm hoping it is just a random thought as I don't really want to start again after the baby is born. Hopefully I will have forgotten all about it by the time September comes :D

Also my Mum had Guinness recommended to her by the doctor when she was pregnant with my sister and I.

I didn't find out I was pregnant until I was 7 weeks gone already.... :? I was drunk that weekend, and the weekend before.....I drank a little too much socially but I haven't had a drop since becoming pregnant, sans a few sips of my OH's beer here and there :)

C xxx

I think this one's definitely a personal choice, moderation is probably key, I personally never drank alcohol whilst pregnant with Isaac but only AFTER I got my BFP, was blind drunk one night and was pregnant at the time, but I didn't actually know at the time. I didn't drink after I got my BFP and haven't with this one either, I won't be drinking until March 2009 if BF'ing goes well :lol:

Women are drinking much more these days and so any real effects to baby won't be known as yet, I really don't see how a few glasses a week would do anything, I think NICE and the government really shouldn't say these contradictory things, one GP says abstain, another says 4units a week! Its unfair on pregnant ladies who have enough to worry about, with diet and resting and the like :roll:

I went to a wedding in October and got drunk but I didn't know I was pregnant.

When I was pregnant with Jack I drank red wine and guinness, no where near as much as I normally would drink, and my iron levels were fab! he came out ok.

I have had alcohol in this pregnancy, not for the first 12 weeks though, and stick to red wine and guinness. I think 'like all thing' a little in moderation is fine. At the end of the day its up to the individual too, oh and again my iron this time round is fab!!!

When i first got my BFP i decided there and then not to have a drink. I didn't think it was worth it. I worry (even now) if LO hasn't moved a lot and if id had a drink i would blame it on that.

I just think that for the sake of 9 months i am gonna try my best for my baby. I want a guilt free conscience that i know iv done all is possible to ensure a healthy baby.

Dont get me wrong though it is a personal choice and i wouldn't condemn anyone who was having the odd glass a week. There are a lot of 'dont's' during pregnancy and some people break all the rules and end up having healthy babys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back