Adcvice Ladies please!

charlie26

Reaction score
Well today i have been for my first midwife app, she told me that due to only having 1 mc, i am low risk and they cant send me for an early scan (due to nhs not having enough funds!).

She said you have to have 3 mc's before they will scan you before 12 weeks.

Im not sure if i can wait another 6.5 weeks.

She said the only way you get an early scan is if you bleed, then you ring up yourself. Should i lie or do you think that is tempting fate? :wall2:

She said there is no reason why i will mc this time and should just relax (chance would be a fine thing)

Thanks for reading xx

Hi Hun, personally I wouldn't lie I'd feel to bad and it stays on medical records!! How about a private scan ? X

Yeah - i have to agree with sue - i wouldnt lie. I mean lets face it - the country is in a pretty bad state - not a lot of funds going round.

I know its hard waiting for a scan at 12/13 weeks - im in the same boat - but it will come quicker than you think. mine's a week on friday.

Like sue said - maybe you could look at a private one.

xxx

How about getting your dates confused. So saying your LMP date was a few weeks earlier??

Last edited:
Yes iv been looking into going private and its £100, i really wanted it but hubby said if your going to mc what difference will a private scan make? He said just wait till 12 weeks :(
Tbh im just going to have to wait, like every other person xx

I tnk it depends where u live. id only had one mc but was given a 7wk scan offered one every two weeks affter that. where abts do u live?? Xxx

Never!! I live in west yorkshire, thats just tight haha xx

Hi. Im 6 weeks + 1 with my first. All my symptoms stopped and Im convinced that Ive had a missed miscarriage. The Doctors won't listen so Ive booked a private scan for Monday when I will be 7 weeks. Maybe Im being silly but it will sort my head out either way. Go for it and book one as the stress won't be doing you any good. (that's what my OH said). PM me if you want to chat x

Hi hun, Its a postcode lottery by the sounds out it, i will have to be super nice to hubby tongiht :) xx

Last edited:
i can completely understand how you feel, it's a horrible wait :( I've had a miscarriage before, and the wait has been so hard, but didn't have much choice. Athough my mum thinks Im really lucky, she had a miscarriage but with all her pregnancy's the first scan she got was at 20 weeks because that was the standard then! I'm not sure if i could survive that long, I would have a nervous breakdown! hope your ok x x x

£100 is a lot, although definitely worth it for the reassurance. But I think maybe go to your doctor first and have a chat with them, particularly if you can see a female doctor they're generally more sympathetic especially if they have been through this themselves. My doctor was very good for sending me to scans after I had early heavy bleeding with this pregnancy after 2 mmcs, and she phoned the early pregnancy unit for me as well (the nhs policy here is the same as yours in not giving reassurance scans). So maybe try with doc first to see if you can find a sympathetic ear xxxxx

I hate to say it - but OH is right - if its not meant to be then an earlier scan's not gonna make any difference - I keep having to tell myself that - like you i've had one mc.

Theres a stats thread on here that I saw before that kinda helped me. I cant quite remember all the details - but it said that 75% of miscarriages actually happen in the 1st 2 weeks after conception, after that the risk just keeps going down.

It also mentioned that having had 1 previous mc doesnt really change ur risk by very much - so unless you know about a specific condition that contributed to it - you should think of each pregnancy as completely seperate.

I guess its up to each individual -but for me - that £100 would be better spent on LO when they arrive. But like verity said - it might be worth it for the reassurance - you need to decide how much waiting till 12 weeks is gonna stress you out.

xxx

Sorry you don't get to have a scan. I don't think I could bring myself to fib about bleeding myself incase I was tempting fate!

If you can afford it perhaps have a private scan? I think (for me that is) if it's going to easy the worrying then it is well worth it.

Plus. I can't bring myself to go back in that room with that woman who told me the bad news last time, so private scan it is!

I understand how you feel hon - it seems a long time to wait to find out but the good news is that after 12 weeks the time flies until the 20 week scan.

My doctor is sending me for an early scan because of previous miscarriage and because I don't know how far along I am as I didn't have AF after miscarriage so it's a dating scan really so my 12 week scan is done at the right time.

aww thats rubbish charlie, sorry you cant get a scan, i think its dependant on where you live, i got offered early scans after my first MMC and now with this pregnancy, if you can change hubbys mind i would go for private to put your mind at ease. I'm sure everything will be fine though.

xxx

Thanks ladies. Iv been getting cramping feelings today (which the midwife said is normal) and i feel different aswell, so i think im going to just wait. At least i can enjoy being pregnant rather than worrying. xx

Wolverhampton although I used to travel and work in bolsover and ripley we're not too far from each other x x

Hello

Just a thought - can you call the EPU direct and see if you can self-refer? I saw my doctor this week and asked to be referred for an early scan (as I had a mc in Feb); the doctor told me I didn't need her to refer me as it's a drop-in service. She said just go along when I'm about 6.5 weeks if I want to hear the heartbeat.

It might be that your local EPU also operates a drop-in service - might be worth a call to find out if you haven't already? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back