• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A few questions about formula

ZMD

Reaction score
I probably sound really thick But i don't know anything about formula! i've got to slowly introduce Tegan to sma Lactose free formula, the Dietician told me to boil the kettle wait 30 mins put water in bottle then add formula obviously its still to hot, do i just cool it in water? also do i have to make one bottle up at a time or can i make a few and put them in fridge once cool?! Im confused lol x

I dont follow the instruction on the back. And tbh, Im not sure if many people to really.

I bol the kettle as I wash the bottles and sterilise them. Once theyre all shiny and clean I pour 6oz of water into each bottle. I then leave them on the kitching side with their tops on ready for when I need them.

When I need a bottle Ill boil the kettle with fresh water in, and to get a 6oz bottle ready, Ill pour out some of the water already in the bottle so theres 4 1/2oz cold water in it, then top it up with 1 1/2oz boiling water which makes the bottle perfect temperature. (for a 5oz bottle then have 4oz cold and 1oz boiling)

Then I add the formula :) Like I say, its not how they would recommend, but Ive heard this is how alot of other women do the bottles as well. Unless your child is fed on a very strict routine its just not practical to have to wait for the water to cool. I dont know 45 mins before Paige is hungry!!

Once you start doing it its easy as pie :) Sorry for the rambling lol

Oooh hadnt thought of mixing cold and hot, thats a good idea!

Just so you can see how amny different methods there are though, this is what I do:

Boil fresh water
While thats boiling, rinse out 4 bottles and caps/teats etc and put in a sink of hot soapy water to soak for 10 minutes.
Take bottles out and give another rinse, put in microwave steriliser
Make up bottles with water first then level scoops of powder (1 scoop per oz)
Put straight into fridge to cool quickly, right at the back (make sure there are no meat products on same shelf or directly above or below)
When i need a bottle, I zap it in the microwave for 20 seconds just to take thr fridge chill off (give it a VERY good shake to disperse anf hot spots)
If bottle is needed while still hot, I put it in a jug under a cold running tap and leave the tap running - takes about 2 mins to cool that way.
Bottles are fine in the fridge for 24 hours, but once out they need to be discarded after an hour.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks Hun i'll have no idea how much Tegan will want or how often and she's Not used to waiting lol! her daddy is now bathing her then its time to c If she'll drink the formula before bed! x

Just so you can see how amny different methods there are though, this is what I do:

Boil fresh water
While thats boiling, rinse out 4 bottles and caps/teats etc and put in a sink of hot soapy water to soak for 10 minutes.
Put straight into fridge to cool quickly, right at the back (make sure there are no meat products on same shelf or directly above or below)
When i need a bottle, I zap it in the microwave for 20 seconds just to take thr fridge chill off (give it a VERY good shake to disperse anf hot spots)
If bottle is needed while still hot, I put it in a jug under a cold running tap and leave the tap running - takes about 2 mins to cool that way.
Bottles are fine in the fridge for 24 hours, but once out they need to be discarded after an hour.

Thanks Hun You've both helped allot i just had visions of having a screaming baby whilst waiting 30mins for water to cool lol! xx

I do the same as above, sterilise bottles, boil water, leave on side to cool, leave them in the side until Henry wants a feed then just add the formula, he takes it room temperature which makes it soooo much easier :)

Once I've sterilised bottles, I boil kettle, leave for 30mins, add however much water you need, add however many scoops of formula then wait another 30mins before putting in the fridge! I make 5 bottles up at a time and it's never done lace or charley any harm

Boil fresh water

That's how I do mine.

Thanks for asking this ZMD I'm going to formula feeding from the start and the cooling bottles always confuses me. X

Once I've sterilised bottles, I boil kettle, leave for 30mins, add however much water you need, add however many scoops of formula then wait another 30mins before putting in the fridge! I make 5 bottles up at a time and it's never done lace or charley any harm

Sorry for hijacking thread, so is it ok to make up bottles and keep.them. did you do this when lacey and.charley were newborn? X

the way they suggest doing it is completely impractical, it would take 45 mins to an hour to get a bottle ready AND we were using colief drops that you had to wait til it was no longer hot then add the drops then wait half an hour for the drops to work, youre talking an hour and a half to get a bottle ready, thats just ridiculous. So we ended up making in advance and keeping in the fridge. Our baby has never had food poisoning from it, although now hes off the drops I pour the water in advance and top up with boiling water so its just the right temp and adding powder right before giving it to him.

Oh and once you've reheated the milk, if they don't drink it all, throw it away within a hour

thanks for this post as me and oh have been boiling water waiting for 30mins and sometimes alex is screaming so am gonna try the mixing business sounds a good idea! what formulas do u all use I have just switched alex from aptamil to sma

we switched from aptimil too, getting too pricey! Got cow and gate comfort milk at the mo. LO couldnt drink anything excpet aptimil comfort with colief drops when he was younger. Expensive child!

Charley has sma gold. I tried him on hungrier baby but he kept being sick after it so switched back to gold.

Thanks ladies she drank 3oz of it which for her first Lactose free formula feed i was quite pleased with! Im so relieved i haven't got to do it 1 at a time, Tegan HATES waiting she's used to Boob on demand! xx

Doctors can prescribe comfort milk to babies we have cow and gate comfort prescribed it is brill and saves me a fortune x

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice girls and thanks to ZMD for asking this! X

The sick that Paige produced while on aptimil was crazy. SMA gold was alot better but not great, so its all about HIPP this end. I think shes a bit sensitive to milk to be honest as shes always been sicky and if she has yogurts now she'll vomit them back up. I dont give her yogurts but they do at nursery so Im going to tell them to stop.

Glad she took 3oz :) Have you decided on whether to cut out dairy and carry on some feeds with breast or just use the lactose free formula? 15 weeks is an amazing feet either way :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back