61% of pregnant British women drink whilst pregnant...true?

I had a glass of wine at Christmas, in my defence I didn't know I was pregnant as I had a bfn and a period a few days before. I wouldn't have touched it if I knew...

I never drank when i was pregnant, i wouldnt even take painkillers when pregnant but when i had my section i had to have all sorts lol

Not had a drop since pregnant and won't do either.

Same. 9 months isn't a very long time in the grand scheme of things. I have the rest of my life to have a drink!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I personally think the result would be higher as I bet most women wouldn't tell the truth with there being such a taboo about drinking whilst pregnant!
I went out and got quite drunk 2 days after our 1st artificial insemination not even dreaming it would work first time :( but I don't dwell on it!

This is what I mean though - how do we even begin to quantify "drinking whislt pregnant?" It is any alcohol at all? More than 1 unit per week?

I got a little drunk in my 2ww but certainly do not count that as drinking whilst preggers.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I got a little drunk in my 2ww but certainly do not count that as drinking whilst preggers.

I drank like normal (a glass of wine with dinner some nights) before my BFP as it wasn't expected and didn't even think of that as drinking while pregnant when I posted before.

So far I've abstained and I will continue to do so, also as I intend to breastfeed it could be a long while before I have a drink again!

Statisics like this annoy me as I bet this particular "result" was totally subjective to this programme?

The fact is there is no way you would be able to complete a totally unbiased statistical analysis on something as generic as this? I mean what are the variables? It is something that would need to be studied for years and years and have a huge pool of participants....

xxxxxxxxx

I personally think the result would be higher as I bet most women wouldn't tell the truth with there being such a taboo about drinking whilst pregnant!
I went out and got quite drunk 2 days after our 1st artificial insemination not even dreaming it would work first time :( but I don't dwell on it!

I agree.. I think that yes like someone else said maybe women in the UK are more honest but I still think that so many wouldn't admit it as it's such a sensative subject.. I think the same applies to smoking.

Personally I think that it means any alcohol during pregnancy, wether it be one drink in the whole 9 months or a full on binge. I notice that people have said that they have had one drink on occasion etc. and don't count it as drinking, however when you are asked say for medical purposes whether pregnant or not if you drink, unless you abstain completely, you do drink. (if that makes sense?) x

Last edited:
I know what you mean babyem. I haven't had a drink at all since getting my bfp but say you had some whilst in the 2ww that could count?

I don't know tbh..

I suppose if you are actively trying for a baby and know that you are in the 2 week period then I personally would say it counts, as you know there is a 50-50 chance you could be pregnant so are playing a game of risk. If you weren't trying for a baby and it wasn't planned then maybe not as you're not aware of any chance of pregnancy and perhaps wouldn't choose to have a drink if you were aware. It's a very grey area. x

That statistic is frightening. I think as a nation we accept alcohol far too easily. It's a poison and should be more regulated. To drink any amount whilst pregnant is nothing but selfish in my eyes. It does no good, whatsoever, so why?

I haven't had a drink in about 3 months anyway. And jut got my BFP yesterday.

So all being well I won't be drinking a thing for at least another year and 9 months as I want to BF to at least a year. :)

I don't understand the attitude of you HAVE to drink to be having a good time. Sure at Uni I was drunk a few times a week. But since then I just don't see the appeal.

That statistic is frightening. I think as a nation we accept alcohol far too easily. It's a poison and should be more regulated. To drink any amount whilst pregnant is nothing but selfish in my eyes. It does no good, whatsoever, so why?

Alcohol is a drug at the end of the day, yet as a society we don't accept people who use heroin or other drugs. I know people will say, 'well it's not the same thing'. In less than 12 months I know of 3 women who were all under 60 years old who have died from alcoholism. Nobody in their right mind would take the odd shot of heroin or line of coke when pregnant so why the odd drink? x

I have never been a big drinker even before my bfp. I had a glass of wine every now and again and even the was watered down with lemonade ( alot of)
I have craved it as I havent had a drop since march ( my birthday) and a few time I have thought iit wont hurt but I dont want to risk anything.

The last proper drink I had was on a long weekend to Dublin with hubby in February the weekend we conceived! I haven't had a 'proper drink' since really. If hubby has a pint with a meal I have had a sip but that's it. I think the statistic is a bit frightening but what are the classing as 'drinking' I have seen women heavily pregnant who have been so drunk-I would never dream of that.

I would never touch the stuff. I also avoided it while TTC x

I notice a few people using the term 'proper drink'..

What exactly constitutes a proper drink? In my opinion a drink is a drink...

The one drink i had while pg i wouldnt class as a "proper drink" because it wasnt even one unit. We were in a hotel, and my two friends were drinking wine while i was on lemonade - when i went up for the next round the guy poured the end of one bottle of white into a glass - only to discover they were out of that wine - so i had the 'less than half glass' topped with lemonade.

Also there are some benefits to alcohol - whether or not you agree with these during pregnancy - but i do believe that if someone has been a heavy/regular drinker - then cutting out completely can be more dangerous. Like it or not, so health professionals will also apply that logic to cigarettes. xxx

Alcohol is a drug at the end of the day, yet as a society we don't accept people who use heroin or other drugs. I know people will say, 'well it's not the same thing'. In less than 12 months I know of 3 women who were all under 60 years old who have died from alcoholism. Nobody in their right mind would take the odd shot of heroin or line of coke when pregnant so why the odd drink? x

Because the odd drink is no where near as high a risk as the odd shot of heroin. If I have a glass of wine today, chances are it will do myself and baby no harm whatsoever, but if I was to shoot up there would be a pretty high risk of death to both of us. Im sorry, you just cannot compare the two.

Having a drink is the furthest thing from my mind whilst pregnant I get married in 5 weeks and have been asked quite a few times if I will be having a drink at the wedding, no I bloody well won't I craved this baby and nothing on earth would make me put it's little life at risk.

I notice a few people using the term 'proper drink'..

What exactly constitutes a proper drink? In my opinion a drink is a drink...

A white wine sprizter is quite different from say a large glass of wine?

I've had neither, I do have the occasional Beck Blue though - I was out for 30th birthday drinks on Thursday and was ecstatic to find the pub actually sold Becks Blue :shock: I don't do fizzy drinks and I am not keen on juice so it was that or water.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back