6 ways to get your body baby ready

Kezzamunster

Reaction score
Hey ladies :wave:

I originally posted this over in the TTC forum but thought I'd put in this section to :)

I picked up my free copy of the 'Health & Beauty' magazine from Boots & there's an article in there titled as above so I thought I'd write everything down in a thread

Step 1: SUPERCHARGE YOUR DIET - As well as a balanced, varied diet......

FOR HER: All women trying to conceive are advised to take a daily supplement of 400mcg of folic acid - until the 12th week of pregnancy - to help maintain normal neural tube development

FOR HIM: 'Selenium, zinc & vitamins C & E have each been implicated in supporting healthy sperm' says Dr Jonathan Lord, consultant in obstetrics & gynaecology at the Royal Cornwall Hospital & spokesman in the British Fertility Society. Rich sources include salmon, turkey & nuts as well as male fertility supplements

Step 2: STUB IT OUT - 'Smoking affects fertility, no matter which one of you smokes, so it's best to try & quit together' says Dr Jonathan Lord

FOR HER: Smoking doesn't just harm your unborn baby; nicotine interferes with the production of vital pregnancy hormones & has been found to impede the movement of the egg to the womb

FOR HIM: The sperm count of male smokers is up to 15% lower then those of non-smokers. Smoking also impairs semen production, sperm shape & motility

Step 3: DRINK LESS - Alcohol can have a huge effect on fertility in both men & women, so Vicky Pennington, Boots nutritionist says the best advice is simple 'Wean yourself off alcohol before trying to conceive'

FOR HER: The Chief Medical Officer advises that pregnant women or women trying to conceive should avoid drinking alcohol, while the National Institute for Health & Clinical Excellence (NICE) particularly advises avoidance during the first three months of pregnancy, as it's linked with a risk of miscarriage. Vicky Pennington adds 'If you do have a drink, keep it to 1-2 units* of alcohol once or twice a week

FOR HIM: Drinking too much alcohol can alter the quality of sperm. Vicky Pennington says 'Men should drink moderately - no more then 3-4 units* of alcohol a day'

*1 unit is equivalent to half a small glass of wine or half pint of average strength beer

Step 4: GET MOVING - Exercise helps normalise hormone levels. 'A study of 67 women who weren't ovulating found that, when they followed a healthy eating & fitness programme, 60 resumed ovulating' says Dr Jonathan Lord

FOR HER: Staying fit will also help you cope better with the demands of pregnancy & labour, so start something now that you can carry on. Swimming or Yoga can be great workouts without impacting on your joints as your pregnancy progresses

FOR HIM: While lack of exercise is bad for your health, over-exercising can lower his levels of testosterone - the key male fertility hormone. 'A 30-minute workout four or five times a week is ideal' advises Dr Jonathan Lord

Step 5: BE WEIGHT AWARE - A BMI outside the 18.5-24.9 range can affect fertility in both sexes

FOR HER: With a BMI of 25 or more, Dr Jonathan Lord advises losing weight before trying for a baby, swapping fad diets for smaller portions & taking more exercise

FOR HIM: Encourage him to monitor his waist measurement. 'This is far more motivating for losing weight then stepping on the scales' says Dr Jonathan Lord

Step 6: .......& RELAX :)
Studies show that stress can affect the hypothalamus - the gland that regulates our hormones, including those that release eggs in women & testosterone in men. So take time to chill out

FOR HER & HIM: The more stressed you are, the less sex your likely to have, which won't do anything to increase your chances of getting pregnant. Remember, 80% of couples who have regular sex (every 2-3 days) & don't use contraception will get pregnant within a year. As Dr Jonathan Lord says 'Relax & enjoy this time & don't get stressed about it - the majority of you will go on to conceive & have a healthy pregnancy'

EXTRA ADVICE FOR HIM - STAY COOL - Elevated testicular temperature is associated with poorer quality semen, so it may help to encourage your man to avoid:

*Tight fitting underwear
*Spending too much time wearing Lycra, cycling shorts or wet suits
*Prolonged hot baths
Sitting still for long periods, especially on a cycle saddle

This may help some ladies so thought I'd share

xxxxxxx

thank you :) I pretty much follow this already just need to get OH to stop smoking again x

That's a good post Kezza, I pretty much follow this too, apart from the exercise bit :blush: x

No probs at all :)

I'm not TTC until 2013 so will be kept close to me in my folder

xxx

thanks this isreally good advice, I MUST get my bmi down below 25 before getting pregnant again!

No probs :)

I'm a bit jubious about the BMI thing tbh, esp with muscle weighing more then fat plus just cos some of us may carry a lil extra doesn't mean we aren't healthy bods :)

xxxx

:yay: I love that ^^^

But i had preeclampsia last time (BMI 30 at booking) and they reckon reducing my BMI will help stop it happening again. I think Ill actually have a breakdown if I have to spend the end of my pregnancy and early labour on the antenatal ward again!

Im going to print this out... Kezza u star!! How are u anyway! xx

Nice that you popped back on here Apple. Hope you're good and that your PF break did you good. We missed you though.

Hey kezza how's things with u? U still not trying ?? Nor me xx

Hey AC :wave:

So glad to see you popping back in & saying 'Howdy', how you doing my darling, all set for May?

I'm good thanks honeybun, kinda resumed to lurking on the forum now, quietly reading all posts :) & yep still not trying until the year god knows when......plus things not so great between the OH & me at the mo so probably a good thing we aren't

xxxxxxxxxx

Hey mustard sorry just read ur message I'm getting old now!! Thanks for u nice message just popping on and will be back full time again May!! :) how are u getting on??

Kezza I'm sorry to hear u n OH not getting on hopefully it's just a rough patch n u will get thru it soon. We've all had them! I'm also lurking was very shocked and happy to see all the BFP'S !! xx

OMG the february :bfp: boom was just fantabulously amazing & just soooooo great to see, defo the month of :love: :)

xxxx

OK I fell off the Wagon friday night with the getting the body ready. eek. xx

OK I fell off the Wagon friday night with the getting the body ready. eek. xx

I don't think Friday or Saturday night count!:fib:

I'm good AC although my previously well behaved body is going nuts on me which is driving me mad.
I'm now on cycle day 55 which is my longest cycle ever. I'm sure its cos for the first time I care about whether my cycles are regular and so my brain has made my body play tricks :wall2:

Day 55 dya think uve missed it in the middle?? Look at miss July her last one was like 90 days buts she's had BFP so there's no problemo there Hun! It's hard to just relax as everyone says but try not think about it! I just write in my diary cd 1-6 then test ovulation day 12-17 for 2 months n that's it. And that is only if I remember!! I forgot this month n just caught the peak day. Mine were all over the place after the pil went from
26 day cycle to 33 dunno what's happened this month. I'm sure we just settling!! So u stickin to ur original plan!? What's ur thoughts on TTC AT THE MO? I want one now but I got some stuff to sort first. Ugh xx

Yeah I'm so pleased for MissJ I felt so frustrated for her with those ridiculous cycles. I thought I was relaxed until this cycle. I think we are still on target for May although if we'd been trying this month I'd have been driven nuts thinking i'm pregnant (at least this month I knew I wasn't pregnant). We are going on holiday in May so haven't decided if I would like to start ttc while away or if I might use that week to have one last :party: and then start ttc when I get back, so end of may. I just wish I knew how long it was going to take to get preggers it would be so much easier to plan but I know life doesn't work that way. Do you think you'll have to wait much longer?

That is exactly what I what im doing having one last party :party: in May and then its healthy time with baby making :))

Im not sure at all how long its gonna take it all depends for some people!! Im sure when u put ur mind to it u will be!! :dust:

i'm joining you in the ttc in may thing.... sadly i lost the baby....but onwards and upwards and all that. getting myself ready to try again.......get some weight shifted first xx

Hey hun I posted on ur post before and I genuinely am so gutted for u. They say somethings happen for a reason, as much as they hurt... At the very least u kno u can get pregnant. I'm so glad u are joining me in may Hun we can go thru it together! I'm also on slimmers world if u wana join me on that too? Sometimes if u have a partner it works??? U don't even have to join we can post our weight loss every tuesday? I've lost most of my weight now but trying to get a flat belly. I wana lose half a stone!! I can give u my menu n weight loss ideas? My ideas are for ppl who are lazy have lil cash and lead a busy lifestyle!!! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back