Fertility myths

Lilelephant

Reaction score
was just doing some randomly googling and thought i would share.

When it comes to fertility, there are a lot of myths in existence about what causes it, who is affected and how it’s treated. When you’re worried about an already sensitive issue, the last thing you want to confront is false information, so here we debunk some of the common fertility myths.
Myth: You always end up with twins or triplets if you have fertility treatment
Whilst it is true that the fertility treatment methods can increase the risk of someone giving birth to twins, triplets or multiples, it by no means always results in this. In fact, recent advances in treatment have helped minimise the risk and the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Association (HFEA) which governs fertility treatment in the UK has imposed restrictions on the number of embryos that can be transferred in IVF in order to reduce the risk of multiple births. It now stands at a maximum of two for women under the age of 40 and three for women aged over 40.
Myth: I’ve already had one baby, so I’ll have no problems conceiving again
It would be nice to think that your past fertility ensures you’ll always be fertile, but sadly it doesn’t. Although many people experience fertility issues when they start trying for their first baby, secondary fertility – when you’ve previously got pregnant, but can’t achieve a second pregnancy - is also a common issue. There are many reasons why secondary fertility occurs, which will need to be investigated. Also, if you’re trying to get pregnant again, but with a different partner, it may not be as easy or straightforward as the first time.

Myth: If you’re over 35, you’ll definitely need fertility treatment to get pregnant
Whilst it’s true that your fertility does decline with age, being aged 35 or over certainly doesn’t mean that you definitely won’t be able to get pregnant. Many people do achieve a natural pregnancy at this age, but if you experience any problems, fertility treatment is available as an option.
Myth: Most fertility problems arise in women only
Both men and women experience fertility problems, on equal levels, so it’s by no means a problem that only arises in women. In fact, primary infertility in men affects around 40% of couples. There are several causes of fertility problems in men, including testicular injury and disease, genetic disorder, problems with erection and ejaculation, sperm disorders, obstructive problems, having had drugs that reduce fertility and exposure to environmental toxins and radiation. If fertility is an issue, it’s important that both partners are tested to find the source and given appropriate fertility treatment.
Myth: Infertility is caused by stress
Some people suggest that being stressed is the reason you’re not conceiving. But infertility is actually a condition of the reproductive system, so although you may get stressed when you’re trying for a baby and nothing’s happening; the stress is unlikely to be the root cause.
Myth: Having sex every day will increase your chances of getting pregnant
It sounds like an easy solution, but it’s sadly too good to be true! Normal healthy sperm remains active in a woman’s reproductive system for 48-72 hours after having sex. So having sex every 36-48 hours around the time of ovulation, rather than every day, should be fine. Also, if a man has a low sperm count, it takes longer to replenish, so he’ll need longer than a day to get it back to normal.

As research reveals that women living near the Cerne Abbas Giant are more fertile than the national average, here are five other unlikely remedies to boost fertility.

Boxers vs Briefs

One of the most commonly feted pearls of wisdom relating to fertility is that a man should wear boxer shorts rather than briefs to boost his sexual potency.
The circulation of air around the reproductive organs, it is suggested, boosts sperm production by preventing the area from overheating – an idea dismissed out of hand as a mythby fertility experts.
Herbs or hoaxes?
Natural remedy enthusiasts claim a whole host of herbs can enhance one's fertility, from the humble stinging nettle to the aptly-named Dong Quai, a Chinese plant that supposedly improves the chances of embryo implantation.
Other remedies suggested by advocates of alternative medicine, which many mothers swear by, include False Unicorn Root, which allegedly stimulates ovulation, and Raspberry Leaf, which is claimed to "tone" the uterus.
Grapefruit juice
Grapefruit juice is said to have a thinning effect on cervical mucus in the same way that cough syrup clears the throat, therefore clearing the sperm's passage to the egg.
Clinical evidence to support this notion may be somewhat lacking, but the juice is high in vitamins so it's a winner either way.
Raising the bottom
One tip offered to desperate would-be-mothers is that they should lie back and lift their bottom into the air following sex, to increase the chance of sperm fertilising the egg.
This myth comes unhinged due to the fact sperm cells are chemically programmed to travel in the right direction, and any that need a push in the right direction are unlikely to be of much use.
Wooden penis
A Japanese ritual carried out in the fertility festival of Hounen Matsuri sees townspeople parade through the streets carrying a gigantic wooden phallus.
Traditional wisdom said this would increase the residents' fertility as well as helping crops grow, and the appeal of running amok with a giant wooden penis has ensured that the ceremony is still performed today.

Some good ones in there MrsMc, you look stunning in your avatar by the way :)

The one about stress, lots of sex and tilting bum seem to be quite common ones around here :)

Some good ones in there MrsMc, you look stunning in your avatar by the way :)

The one about stress, lots of sex and tilting bum seem to be quite common ones around here :)

I am trying to find one about game controllers so i can prize hubby away from x box

My wedding day was for me too :)

I just remember another myth that i recently discovered!

"It only takes one sperm" - it's a myth :shock:

I'm looking at IVF and they put 100,000 perfect sperm cells in right next to the egg to try to fertilise it and even then they don't always fertilise, i was surprised about that one too.

You'll be so bloomin lucky to find a way to get your hubby off the xbox... right now my husband is watching someone else playing his PC game - it that sad or what :eh:

LMAO louiseb they sound like two peas in a pod!! he talks about fifa like it is real life! so bizarre!!
one time he was playing call of duty online with his mates and i wanted to BD cos i was Oving haha so i said in the mic that he had to go and have noogie haha he got the rip taken out of him for weeks

lol :roll:

My hubby plays CoD on the PC and there is a new one comig out soon and he wants me to go and stand in line at a gaming shop at 12am (midnight) just incase they sell out :shock:

lol :roll:

My hubby plays CoD on the PC and there is a new one comig out soon and he wants me to go and stand in line at a gaming shop at 12am (midnight) just incase they sell out :shock:

:lol: hilarious! Hub has pre ordered his at Asda....so sad!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back