2nd labour after c section faster/easier?

rachaell

Reaction score
A weird question. I had an emergency section last time after complications labouring naturally. I know 2ND babies are often faster and easier to labour as your body has done it before. Does this actually count if you didn't actually fully give birth, only laboured? Probably a stupid question!

Hiya. I haven't got any advice as i am in the same boat as you. I had an 'emergency' section first time round as I failed to progress at 9cm but if you ask me it was down to incompetence! I have elected a VBAC this time round as I want to at least try but I have been told by the consultant that I will need to progress at a cm an hour if not then it will be another section but I won't go down without a fight! If baby is not in distress then I am happy to wait her out! Xx

Hey! No personal experience, but my Sister in law had a breech baby the first time, her waters broke 10 days early so she had a C section.
She then had her second baby naturally and had a 23 hour labour but managed it all very well and gave birth perfectly naturally. xx

Thanks for the feedback ladies. That's interesting what your consultant said Amy. It seems like so much pressure though! Do u think that's standard practice after a slemergancy c section?

I'm not sure if it's standard practice but she said that from 4cm they would expect me to progress quickly if not then it's another section. She said up to 4 cm can take as long as it needs and I can stay at home as long as I feel comfortable obviously if my waters break I have to go straight in and they monitor baby's heart a lot more as a change in this is the first sign of scar rupture. The consultant said to stay positive as there is a good chance I can deliver naturally as I went into spontaneous labour the first time there is no reason why it wouldn't this time but if I do need to be induced they would only give me 1 gel or whatever it is they use and if that doesn't work then it's a section! Fingers crossed xx

I had an emergency c-sec with my first, during my 'debrief' with the consultant afterwards, he said there's a very high chance that because my body had already experienced spontaneous labour and it knows what to do, that the next time my body would do it all itself again.

I've wondered this myself I only ever got to 4cm.
I do wonder if I ever really needed the section.
I'be been told similar too if I don't progress quickly then I will be in for another section. Also if I'm late their not inducing so I would have a section again. I said good because this time I'm refusing anything to induce including breaking waters and sweeps, I don't want them messing around with anything this time.

I'm excited to see what happens xx

I went into labour on my due date, did 24 hours of labour at home and was 5cm went I went into hospital. I was still at 5cm 12 hours later, had meconium in my waters, had a failed epidural, so had an emergency c-sec. Turned out baby was back to back and had her head stuck, I'd never have got her out naturally. She needed help breathing, then I had a post partum haemorrhage.

There is absolutely no way I am going through any of that again. I will be opting for a c-section this time.

Thanks for all the feedback ladies. I still feel very on the fence about everything. My midwife referred me to midwive led birth clinic later in pregnancy where I will get to discuss my options but she assumed I wanted a natural birth if possible. It's a hard choice, I wanted a 100% natural last time but the uncertainty is getting to me. I wouldn't like to go through everything I did last time for it just to end in section again. But then with a toddler to look after I can't help thinking I have to give natural a go again and hope for the best! I have already said though that I wouldn't be accepting induction again as I believe that led to c section. Thanks for your ongoing support it's a very tough choice! I flit between wanting a home pool birth and elective section!

I feel exactly the same as you Hun! I wish we knew the outcome.

Good luck with your choice xx

Sorry to jump on your post. But do any of you ladies know..
I had a failed induction (37+4) first time that ended in a section. I had two pessaries and the drip for 14hours and only got to 1-2cm.
So because It wasn't spontaneous labour does this mean this is classed as a 'first time' labour.
I hope not as I'm also hoping for a VBac.
I'm refusing any kind of induction this time (as it didn't work last time). But I will be allowing sweeps to see if it can bring me on naturally. Xx

I've wondered the same thing myself as I only got to 4cm. I started contractions naturally but 2 days on I was only 1cm after like 3 sweeps I managed to get to 4cm. After that I had my waters broken (well only the front they couldn't even reach the back ones) and then that drug through a drip and still never got passed 4cm!

I'm nervous if I try v bac it will just be like a first birth but having said that my mum had 4 kids and her births never got quicker or easier xx

My friend had a failed induction 3 years ago and had a c - section (no contractions at all) and she laboured naturally recently with her second. She went 3 days overdue and refused induction. Not sure on full length of labour but I think perhaps around 12 hours as she had text me before going into hospital and I know when the baby was born approx!

I went into spontaneous labour 4 days after due date which I don't think is bad considering it was my first. After about 19 hours i got to 9cm and then they said it stopped!! I don't believe that!! Every consultant I have seen in this pregnancy has said to me "oh you were almost there!" Well with this one I will be more strict with them...I was only 23 when I had my first and I didn't know what was supposed to happen but I am determined to have a VBAC this time!! My mum says it all depends on who you get?!?! I remember my first midwife was lovely and wish she would have been there throughout but by the 3rd one I didn't even know their name and when I was told to start pushing she kept going out the room!! Was not a nice experience for my first time! Xx

Hey ladies, my first baby was a failed induction got to 9cm and they said a just stopped too wouldn't progress any further after 26hour labour I had to have an emergency charger section. My second one I had a spontaneous labour, a successful vbac and the experience was amazing, 5 hour in labour without pain relief ☺. I honestly think it's due to position of baby to how well someone labours too, my 3rd was 28hour labour and didn't progress past 8cm so another emergency section, one after was forced into an elective c section and this baby after my last section 4year ago is another elective which am scared about. With vbac there's constant monitoring I loved the chance to be able to give birth naturally even if it was once. Make sure if u want a vbac u stick urgent ground my consultant even after 1section was against it, I didn't have no complications nothing not even any rips or tares:) xxx

Do they allow VBaC normally? Im hoping to try naturally, but my body has never actually gone through labour, so not sure if they would let me. My wee one was breech first time around and planned c section a week before due date, didnt even get a sniff of a contraction.

Sorry to jump on your post though. Was also wondering how you guys found pregnancy after csection too? Did it hurt more around the scar area during the pregnancy?

I have said from the start of this pregnancy that I want a VBAC and both my midwife and consultant have been very supportive. I have explained that my 7 year old daughter is autistic and currently waiting for assessment for ADHD and that I need to be up and on my feet asap! I can't be recovering for weeks again. Also I have asked my mum to be with me as well this time round...she won't stand for any messing! Fingers crossed all goes to plan xx

I have said from the start of this pregnancy that I want a VBAC and both my midwife and consultant have been very supportive. I have explained that my 7 year old daughter is autistic and currently waiting for assessment for ADHD and that I need to be up and on my feet asap! I can't be recovering for weeks again. Also I have asked my mum to be with me as well this time round...she won't stand for any messing! Fingers crossed all goes to plan xx

Love how mums never go for any messing :lol:

Glad that the MW and consultant are being supportive though, I've heard some hospitals just dont even entertain the idea.

I had a emergency c section with my first and a vbac with my second. I was so determined to have a vbac second time round I would have done anything!
With my first I had a really long drawn out latent phase (five days) then my son was back to back and I just wasn't progressing so I ended up with a c section.
With my second I started having contractions at about 11pm and my daughter was born at 6.30am, so it was all pretty quick! I stayed at home until 3.30am as I was scared i wouldn't be progressing again and could not face being sent home! But when I got to hospital I was amazed that I was already 10cm dilated and she was born two hours later. So I hope this shows to you all vbacs can def happen, no matter what consultants say! Mine had repeatedly told me I might end up having a c section. But I honestly think my body just knew what it was doing as I had laboured before.
I'm now pregnant with my third and as determined as ever not to have a c section!

Hi

I asked my midwife this at my 30 wk appointment yesterday.

She said that because my body has already laboured and I progressed up to 10cm and even pushed that labour should happen more easily because your body knows what it is doing and your cervix is more likely to dilate quicker and more easily. Mine will be 18 months apart so I'm sure my body will remember what it was doing. I had C section after failed forceps and I honestly couldn't have done anything more during my labour than what I did. I wanted that natural birth so badly.

consultant and mw very supportive of Vbac with this pregnancy and with a toddler I am so damn determined to have this one naturally. I'm just going to keep plowing on with it and this time I'm going to leave the pushing til the absolute end. There's no point in pushing myself to exhaustion from the moment I hit 10cm.

As far as scar throughout this pregnancy, I haven't felt anything really and I am measuring 5 weeks ahead according to my midwife's tape measure! I think it will be last few weeks and/or the labour that it will affect if at all.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back