20 week scan - questions from a concerned father to be

Doors27

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Anthony and my wife is currently 20 weeks pregnant with our first baby. We have just been for our scan and are delighted to know we're having a little boy. However all was not as rosey as it could have been.

We had to have the scan in two parts as the sonographer couldn't do the leg measurements because the little fella was not in a helpful position so we were asked to go for a walk and come back. The first part of the scan had gone brilliantly and we were both over the moon and quickly phoned grandparents and uncles/aunts-to-be to let them know the good news.

Unfortunately however, the second scan was not as great. The baby still wasn't in an optimal position to make the fetal femur length measurements, so the sonographer did the best she could. Although the length was within the normal range it was on the small side (i have added the numbers below for you to see). All the other measurements were on the small side, but still within the norm.

BPD: 47mm
HC: 171.5mm
TCD: 19.5mm
AC: 149mm
FL: 30mm
HC/AC: 1.15

My concern is that our little boy could have Down's syndrome and the midwife has asked we come back for a scan in two weeks time to check the growth. Our triple test said we have a 1:5000 chance of this baby being Down's and the midwives don't appear that concerned, but want to be certain. My wife and I are both 29 years old and she is quite small now, and as a baby, as were her sister and mum.

I would be grateful to know what any of you think about these numbers and if you have had similar experiences. Am i worrying too much about these?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide
Anthony

This thread might help you:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=90080&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

People have posted their measurements for comparison and I note most of the measurements are similar to yours - all babies grow at different rates and as it says in the thread, they have growth spurts at various stages on the pregnancy and shouldn't be taken as gospel

Good luck!

My 3rd daughter measured ahead for her dates from quite early on and at her 20 week scan, her measurements were all big. She ended up being born weighing 10lbs! Babies grow at different rates and this is dependent on lots of factors, including family tendancies. A friend of mine was told that her baby had little legs but she wasn't surprised as she did as well!

At least this is something the professionals are keeping an eye on and you get to see your lovely son again in 2 weeks! I know you will worry, but try to stay positive x

i would of thought if the sonographer thought there was a chance of downs she would of said and also your midwife would of contacted you also. as people have said babies grow at different rates thats prob why they are going to scan again in a couple of weeks i wouldnt worry honestly.

Did the sonographer mention Downs? I know its hard but you need to try not to get ahead of yourself with the worrying.

There are other soft markers that they can pick up for Downs, did they say anything else?

Sending you hugs :hug: but try not to worry, sometimes our babies just wont co operate and hopefully all will be well at the next scan

Tracey xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back