16+3 & midwife can't find heartbeat...

pushca

Reaction score
Just had my 16 wk MW appt & she couldn't find baby's heartbeat. She asked me not to worry - but I am, especially after all the illnesses I've had & the threatened miscarriage 4 weeks ago.
Has this happened to anyone else?
I've got 5 weeks until our next scan & not sure I can keep calm until then... X

If the midwife couldnt find the heartbeat she should have got you straight down the EPU! Phone them now (the hospital) and tell them your midwife couldnt find a heartbeat, they should scan you straight away x

my Doctor did mine and she said that she isn't always able to find it, so not to worry if we can't hear it! But definitely call your hospital and see what they say!

If you've been under threatened miscarriage she shouldn't have left you like this in my opinion. Ring the hospital and tell them everything that's happened and tell them you need reassurance. That's what you pay your taxes for xxxxxxxxxxxx

No she defo should not have left you worrying! Call the hospital hun, fingers crossed everything is fine for you! But your midwife really should not have left you like that without checking you out further xx

My mw didn't check hb at 16 weeks cos she said sometimes u cant find it at it freaks ppl out x

cant believe she left you to worry like this, everything is prob just fine though, think it can be hard to find still at this stage, maybe hes in a funny position too. as other say i would ring and see if you can get a scan :hugs:

hi hun

hope all is ok, but i would call the maternity dept at hosp straight away and tell them ur worries, my opinion is that the mw should have sent u anyway to be sure not leave you too worry!!!

my midwife sent me in my second pregnancy as i measured way too small for how many weeks i was and i was scanned straight away so you should be too!!

best of luck but im sure you will be fine xx

My OH thinks I'm overreacting & has made me feel really stupid for getting upset. He thinks that because all the scans so far have shown baby is healthy, I'm worrying for nothing. And he's probably right. Baby is probably fine...
I've rung the local midwives & left a message asking for their advice. I doubt the EPU will see me as I'm not bleeding or in pain :(
In the meantime I'm going to get my Doppler out & pray baby gives me a beat :)
Xxxxx

Oh hunny I'd do as the others have said! Have a good play with your Doppler xx

i know sometimes they cant find a heartbeat with the doppler seen it posted a few times on here, so im sure al is fine. id be pushy tho and keep caling epu or visit a&e and put ur mind at rest, as the worry wont be doing you any good x

When I went to my 24 week midwife appointment when I was just under 23 weeks, I had a trainee and my midwife really struggle to find heartbeat. Epu/antenatal are really good if you are worried. They are there to put your mind at rest. Don't leave yourself worried or stressed. It won't do you any good. I'm sure all is fine tho.xx

I know its easier said than done - but try not to worry. The policy in my area is not to try to find heart beat till 24 week appointment - when i asked MW she said it can be tricky to find at earlier appointment. xxx

If it's any help with my daughter when I had my 16 week app the midwife warned me that sometimes they can't pick up a heartbeat and i shouldn't worry if she couldn't!

the midwife didnt pick up a heartbeat with me at 16 week but im guessing thats because we found out i have anterior placenta.

When they couldn't find my baby heartbeat at 17 weeks I was at a routine hospital appointment. Two people tryed and was reasurring me, I paniked like mad, they took me to the ultrasound department, I was put before other people that had appointments. I was walked in straight on the bed and she scanned my stomach and found the sound of the heartbeat straight away. You could see the baby but not clearly because I hadn't drank fluids. I know how horrible that feeling is and I wouldn't like for that to be playing on ur mind. I had 5 mins of it and it was awful. I would ring ur doctors. My doctors surgery used check babys heartbeat even if I went in with a cold x x

my mw struggled to find my babys heartbeat at first but then she found it after a while on her last attempt. she did reassure me though that sometimes its hard to find babys heart beat at that stage. but if you did have a mc scare i would say you pushh for epu they're really good x

I've not had a good time at my EPU.
I had a few early scans as I was very ill at start of pregnancy so they sent me to the EPU for reassurance scans & to be sure baby hadn't been affected.
Then after my bleed 4 wks back, and a whole night of worry in A&E, I was referred from A&E straight to EPU - and the nurse there was horrible & made me cry. She said "I see you've had a few scans already. You have 40 weeks of pregnancy, you can't go getting scanned every couple of weeks until then!" I had to remind her through tears that I hadn't just waltzed in, I'd been referred as there was a possibility I was miscarrying. She made me feel awful. Like a fraud. There was no empathy or compassion at all.
So I am so reluctant to go to EPU now. I don't know whether to sit tight and try to get an appt next week at GPs to try and listen for hb again - and if nothing - will go straight to EPU regardless...
As you can see, am awake at stupid o clock thinking about it so can't really do this for next 5 weeks!!
Thanks all for your comments & reassurance xxxxxx

Aw hun that is horrible! i think maybe try and get an app with your GP and see if they can hear!

aw hun :hug:
Try not to worry. When I had my 16 week appointment the mw told me they dont listen to the babys heartbeat at that stage as it cant always be detected so they dont bother.
I had a doppler at home so knew there was a heartbeat there.
Did you try urs out hun?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back