Your Christmas Traditions

Mervs Mum

Reaction score
We all have our quirky little things we just HAVE to do....well I do coz I'm a Virgo.....

I know Alice's family eat a big special dinner on Christmas Eve. In previous years we've had Christmas Eve family parties at our but this year we are going to go out for a fancy lunch and then come home and get Christmassy....we always make mulled wine....hubby likes to make it from scratch so we end up with gallons and I cant even drink the damn stuff!

When we get up I always make OH go to the front room and turn the tree lights etc on and then I have to ask him 'Has he been?'

We have warm croissants and tea while we open prezzies.

This year we are having a goose....well 'they' are coz I'm a veggie :lol: and we have the Yorkshire puddings with gravy as a starter.....or they wont fit on the plate.....

So what's yours?

:yay:

On Xmas eve morning I send oh to get the turkey from the butchers and he ALWAYS visits the toyshop on the way home to get the kids 1 thing each, older kids get a cd :)

While he's away I make my trifle, mince pies, and start cooking a roast beef and a gammon ham :D
Then I make the stuffing from scratch even down to shredding the crumbs :lol: and prepare the veg

A xmas film in the evening and the younger kids (4, eldest won't do xmas jammies :roll: ) get into their xmas jammies after their bath :D Mince pie out for santa and carrot for the reindeer :lol:

Roll into bed at 3 :wall: theres always 1 stupid toy you cant assembe :rofl: and up again at stupid o clock! We all run up to the living room and I dont let them in until the video camera is set and I've got my camera in the other hand :rofl: yep I'm a virgo too :lol:

Last edited:
Oh yeah we put a mince pie, carrot and a glass of milk out for Father Chistmas.....one year he had a can of Fosters but Emily was very concerned about him ending up over the limit....:lol:

:rotfl:

We go to church on xmas eve than to mum's for porkpie (Don't ask me why I don't know, I don't even eat it the rest of the year)

On xmas day If I'm not working we always have bacon sandwiches and buck's fizz for breakfast then to which ever parent has the pleasure :) of us for lunch, then to the other set in the evening. Thankfully we all live in a village so well within walking distance

On xmas eve we watch Muppet Christmas Carol - but we have to turn it off when the ghost of things to come comes on because Rhys gets scared LOL then its bath,its xmas jammies for me and the kids (no im not too old for xmas jammies :D ) then i wrap/assemble remaining presents drinking wine whilst my OH plays christmas songs on the piano.. this usually pisses me off (i was a bah humbug kinda person) but this year im looking forward to it!!

then xmas morning my OH will wake up first at stupid oclock.. he bounces on our bed and flashes the lights on and off to wake me then he'll run and get the kids up out of bed singing and shouting its christmas LOL

we always open stockings then we have breakfast, this year we're going to see my mum which we've never done on xmas day before and hopefully it WONT become tradition lol. then we go to my dads and have *ahem* second breakfast with them :) we always go to colins parents in the evening around 5pm and open presents with them whilst drinking tea and eating bara breth in front of their log fire.

home for about 8ish.. kids to bed and then we chill out with our presents.

nearly all bigger presents (our ones to the kids) are opened on boxing day as we never have time to do more than stockings at home before going out for the day.

oh and mil cooks our christmas dinner on the sunday before xmas... never on xmas day but this year we're going to colins step nans on xmas day for dinner

My grandad always used to open his presents on Boxing Day for some reason.....

What's bara breth wifey? :)

lovely topic!

well so far i have always been the kid still hehe. i stay at my parents and we all eat eat and eat all of chrismas eve night and watch christmas films.

christmas day is a big tasty breakfast and bucks fizz or champagne, then presents and soo many of them. then worlds biggest lovliest dinner, then a rest before games and stuff in the evening.

all the dogs wear christmas outfits haah.

cant wait for next christmas when (fingers crossed all being well) we will have our first baby, my parents first grandchild and my lovely nans first great grandchild x

bara brith sorry LOL

its a welsh fruitcake that you smother with butter and eat with welsh cheese!

SEE! Cheese and fruit cake ROCKS!!!! :D

Last edited:
growing up we would getup at silly o clock for stockings, hen breakfast, and then mum sorts out the lunch. When that is done we all sit round the tree with a drink of our choice while dad plays father christmas handing out all the pressies, as we used to have huge gaterings this could take a while :)
then lunch, play games, go for a walk, buffet supper and xmas cake and tv....

depending on shifts ours tend to be played by ear, but I did replicate it here last year and it was ace :) (although I could have murdered my grandmother with a box of breadsticks at one point (apparently cheese straws were just not good enough)

I always make about a million sausage and bacon wrap things on xmas eve and watch christmassy films with the family. We also put out a carrot for rudolf and a pie for santa. Also raindeer dust outside the front door.

We have bacon sarnies and bucksfizz for breakfast christmas day (at my mams) and we always go to my dads for 10.30 sharp (dunno why that time) Then we have christmas dinner at OH's parents house then we veg out and watch utter garbage on tele for the rest of the day while building various lego stuff and fiddling with toys :lol:

Good times!! xx

And sorry like, but i still think cheese and fruit cake is vile!! :lol: xx

i must admit i dont usually eat the cheese WITH the fruitcake but OHs family do!

Ours are that we always go to my mum's aunties on Christmay day evening. All of the others seems to have fizzled out though :( xx

Christmas eve we would go to the village pub and play pool, well my mum and auntie did, whilst my nan was at hme cooking potato and leak soup. We put our xmas pj's on and the kids go to bed, not before putting a mince pie and carrot out for Santa and the reindeer. My nan would also always put a small glass of sherry out, and in the morning there would be lipstick on the glass, to show that he had drunk it......it took me a while to ask the question about santa wearing lipstick!

Christmas day is a small breakfast with bucks fizz, whilst opening our stockings. Then we would have little walk in the fields over the road and come back to a scrummy dinner, once everything is tidied up and put away we sit in the lounge and usually i would hand the presents out 1 by 1, one year it took 6hours!! Not anymore but afterwards we play games like charades and trivial pursuit then veg and sleep!

I LOVE CHRISTMAS!! :cheer: :love:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back