What is your families christmas tradition?

Tangerinedream

Reaction score
When I was little we used to watch its a wonderful life on xmas eve while getting everything ready for the next day and we would blub at the end :lol: When my step-dad lived with us we used to have peking duck instead of turkey (that he used to keep in the airing cupboard for a few days to dry out :puke: ) and when packing the tree and decs away after xmas me and my sister would write a christmas card to ourselves to open the next year asking if we were still doing this and that, did we pass whatever tests etc... :D

Since setting up home myself we dont really do anything like that, except go to OH's parents for xmas day but i really want to do my own little family thing.

What family traditions do you all have? Im really interested to find out if your families are as strange as mine :lol:

Last year I started a new tradition :D I bought Austin a new pair of Christmassy pyjamas, which he was allowed to open before bathtime on Christmas Eve and wear that night. That way he got to open 1 present early and I knew he'd look smart in all the photos on Christmas Day! I'm going to do the same this year. :D

We always did the new pj's on Christmas eve and now I've carried that on with my daughter too!

We do the santas cookie / rudolphs carrot thing too. And hanging her stocking on her bedroom door.

For the last 5 years I have travelled back home for xmas but I may be breaking that tradition this year... My mum isn't very impressed! My brother said he will book the flights so I'll have to come or else!

We are doing the new PJs for christmas eve too for Calleigh :)

we were never allowed to open our pressies until AFTER dinner on xmas day, we would have a stocking for the morning but everything else had to wait until dinner eaten and table had been cleared. The reason was so my mum, nan and auntie could sit down and relax with us and mycousins and enjoy the pressie opening. My family still do this and I did it last year as well, also makes the day last longer.
we never knew any differant and it made us sit and eat dinner! my nieces and nephews have always had it likee this as well.

We've always done that too! My mum and dad would always make me, my brother & sister wait til we'd all eaten our christmas dinner & had our pudding & everything had been tidied away & washed up, til we could open our presents! Then we would all sit down together & take it in turns to open our gifts!
I've always prefered it, it definetly does make the day last longer & all of christmas morning, you look forward to opening up a pile of pressies later!

I'm definelty going to carry that tradition on, although it is hard with very young children coz they just want to dig in and start ripping off the paper & seeing what santa has brought them! :D The last 2 years, I've done a stocking for my LO so she has that to keep her interested til after dinner!

My Xmas tradition is we HAVE to watch The Snowman and Santa Claus the Movie on Xmas Eve. George is almost 13 now and hates it :lol: I can't wait now I have Sam to sit and watch it every year with.

Emma58 said:
My Xmas tradition is we HAVE to watch The Snowman and Santa Claus the Movie on Xmas Eve. George is almost 13 now and hates it :lol: I can't wait now I have Sam to sit and watch it every year with.

Oh i love Santa Claus the the Movie :D
Its a christmas must watch film along side Home Alone and Elf :lol:

OH's family tradition was to put the turkey in the oven overnight really low, then when you all get up the turkey smell is through the house then he has a leg for breakfast :puke: anyway, it means its all cooked and ready and then i prepare the veggies the night before so all i have to do it cook them for xmas lunch!

Oh and I feel its not xmas till i have had a snowball (advocaat drink), i think i still will this yr even being preg, its not that alcoholic!!!!

Always opened prezzies in the morning, all of us, and now we have table presents at dinner, a little something for everyone to open along with pulling a cracker!

We watch Miracle on 34th street (the original) when I wrap the gifts.... I luuuurve wrapping everything and making it all pretty!

On Christmas Eve, we do the new PJ's, we have a roast of some sort, we make sweet mince pies and lay them out for santa with a wee brandy, and a carrot for rudolph. we cuddle up on the couch with hot cocoa and popcorn and watch a movie of some sort, then we hang up our stocking and go to bed.

Oooh, I cant wait!!!

When we were little, on Christmas eve the whole family (about 16 of us) used to go to my Gran's and we would have a HUGE meal, then we would put the tree up together and I always got to put the Star on top as I was the youngest grandchild. Then we would sit round the open fire having cocoa, and sing caroles with my Auntie playing the piano.

I always remember my Gran (bless her) had alzeimers, which to my Dad was a nightmare, but to the grandkids was so funny - there used to be an advert on TV for Quality Streets when it was snowing the sweets.... well my Gran, confuddled as usual used to open the tin on Xmas eve and chuck the whole tin up in the air shouting whhhooooooooppp-eeeeeeeee!! and we all used to scramble for our favs, my poor Mum and Aunt (who did all the cleaning in the farmhouse as my Gran wasnt able) used to find sweets for weeks after :lol:

I always watch miracle on 34th street while I put the tree up its the law :lol:

Same as every Christmas Eve we have to watch the snow man, father Christmas and Santa Clause the movie and mam makes us a huge hot chocolate!
We also have to get a bath and put on our new Christmas jarmies and snuggle up while mam cooks the turkey which makes the house smell lush!! we also but put out the milk and mince pie for santy and carrot for Rodolph! lol

these are all def things im going to carry on with mine

We do the Pj one too! I did when I was little so carried it on with my children! I love it it helps set the mood! They have their tea, go and have a bath then come down and open their present and get into their new Pjs and get in bed! With all fresh blankets and sheets on! lol
We dont have any christmas day traditions really?

Oh and we hang a "special Father Christmas key" on the front door as we have no chimney lol :lol: Hes needs to get in some how !

We have to have christmas carols when we put up the tree, and we do it as a family. On Christmas Eve,we watch the Snowman, we do the new PJs too, after a bath, and we read the night before Christmas book. OH usually goes out for a curry with his mates whilst I stay at home and wrap the last of the pressies whilst watching the Nightmare before Christmas (might let Seren watch that as she loves Jack Skeleton stuff (but it might be too scary??). Then OH comes home and we put out the pressies ready for the morning.

We always open our pressies in the morning and santa pressies but family pressies get left till after diner.

We usually go to mum and dads for christmas so will be this year. Always leave biccys and whiskey out for santa and I always go to bed before my parent put out the prezzys :oops: It will feel really strange being the one who does that for Ivy!

When shes older I will do what I used to do with my exs-niece we would make a bag of fairy dust (porridge and glitter) then sprinkle it out side the house so Santa sees the glitter shining and rudolf smells the oats and they can find your house :D

We go round to my OH's parents on Christmas eve for mulled wine & goodies and his mum reads us the poem 'The Night Before Christmas' before we go home (sounds very pretentious but it's nice and gets us all in a Christmassy mood)

I put a trail of chocolate coins from the kids rooms down the stairs and leading to the pressies under the tree it's something ive done since my daughter was little - shes 15 now but still expects it!! - we will carry on the tradition with our new arrival next Christmas.

Once we've opened all our pressies it's off to OH's parents in our PJ's (10mins away) to do it all over again!... his mum LOVES Christmas and goes mad buying loads of pressies.
Then back home for a rest and back again at 3pm for dinner & games!

I don't have to cook or lift a finger on Christmas day, it's a good job this year cos im gona be full term by then! :shock:

We put the tree up together as a family. We all help to decorate it and Kieran gets lifted up by his dad to put the star on the top. I take a pic of this every year, as it is a really good way to see how much he has grown from year to year. I am bad for wanting the tree up the moment the calendar says December!!

Christmas eve is spent listening to christmas cd's and playing something altogether, a board game or something. We will have something nice to eat and after dinner, Kieran gets to chose one present from under the tree to open (this is the presents from Family and friends) I always buy him new pj's too so the pics on christmas day always look nice lol. Then we will all snuggle up on the couch with some munchies and watch Miracle on 34th street. (my favourite christmas film ever!!)

Before Kieran heads up to bed, he goes outside and sprinkles magic dust on the garden path (this is to attract the reindeer lol) and he hangs his special magic key on the front door (we dont have a chimney so santa needs this to get in!) then he will leave out a carrot for rudolph and some milk and a mince pie for santa (he wont let me leave santa a whisky as he says he shouldnt be drinking if he is flying his sleigh :rotfl: :rotfl: )

I cant wait!!

I love reading and listing to what everyone does at christmas.... I cant wait to get the tree up :lol:

I LOVE the Sky "Music choice" Christmas channel. I listen to it loads, decorate the tree to it and wrap presents to it.
My fav carol is "Carol of the bells" if you wanna hear it http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JJwjPtCcriI (excuse the geeks but they sing it well :) )

Christmas eve we usually have friends over for nibbles and wine, before putting out a mince pie, carrot and glass of milk.

Christmas day we wake up, open presents while the Christmas music is on again. Then we go to my mums, open more presents and she cooks a massive dinner for us, my brother, his GF and son and my nan etc. Then we stay there all evening, play poker, play with the kids new toys and more people come round for drinks.

Boxing day is basically more of the same :)

Writing this has made me feel all Christmassy!

We have the pajama rule that everyone has!!

We also have to have a chippy on christmas eve!
And a fry up on christmas day for breakfast!
It's also tradition for the entire family (and we're a huge family) to go to my grandmas for a roast dinner at some point between xmas and new year!

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back