Yesterday afternoon at the hospital. Bloody feet!

Amanda

Reaction score
Well, I finally took everyone else's advise and rang the midwife's line about my swollen feet and ankles. I explained to the midwife, she asked what hospital I was booked in at, and then asked me to hold the line. Then another lady answered 'Can I help?'. I asked who I had been put through to, and she told me she was admissions at the Leicester General Maternity Unit. :shock: So I started to go through the whole thing again (again stressing that I was only after advise/reassurance), about halfway through, she asked me to hold again. A couple of mins passed, she then came back on and said she had just grabbed a passing doctor, told him my symptoms, and they wanted me to go straight there!!! :shock:

So I left work straight away, a bit stunned and shell-shocked to be honest. Anyway, I got to the hospital, and they sent me to the delivery suite!!!! Even more shocked and stunned!! :shock: The midwife checked me over, and took BP, etc, then tried to find the heartbeat. It was hilarious seeing her try for almost 7 minutes before she found it!!! LO was moving so much and kept kicking her away!! :lol: She kept reassuring me that she would find it and not to panic, well, I was just laughing!! I wasn't worried at all becuase of all the movements. She found it eventually, and it was a normal 132 bpm.

I then had a 30 min wait for the doctor to come to assess me. He was also lovely. He has reassured me that this is perfectly normal, although pretty early. Basically, it will only get worse as the pregnancy progresses, but I don't care now I know everythings okay. I have to sit with my feet elevated as much as possible (impossible at work), and try not to wear shoes. I can only get flip-flops on anyway! If they get any worse, I'll just have to finish work earlier than planned!! :lol:

The funniest thing was the midwife asking for a urine sample. I can never pee on demand, I go all pee-shy and just can't go. I ended up having 9 glasses of water in order to produce a sample, and then got stuck in traffic on the way home and thought I was going to pass out with the pain of wanting the loo!!!!!!! :lol: :oops: :lol: There was a very small trace of protein which she has told me to make sure the midwife double-checks this at my next appointment next week, but they weren't concerned.

So, all in all, a fun afternoon!!!!

Im glad you went and got to checked out and that everything is ok hun. It must be a weight off your mind.

:shock: :lol: Sorry to laugh but that story was funny! :lol:
What a palava you had!!

Good news you might end up finishing work early!! :dance: :clap:

I have had slightly swollen feet too (not as bad as yours though) and can't wear trainers anymore cos it kills!
I've been putting foot lotion on my feet everynight, then put them up, they feel alot better when I've done this.

Every time I see the midwife I have a trace of protein in my urine, but they don't seem concerned!

Oh Tankett what drama!! :eek: :shock: :lol: Glad you were reassured though and that all is well with LO.. bless him for kicking the midwife.. they don't like those dopplers sometimes do they!!

Hope you are feeling OK albeit a bit cold around the tootsies with this winter weather!!!!
Take it easy.. as Sam says try some lotion and feet up as much as possible.. will be great if you can get off work earlier!!

xx

Yes going to the hospital for reassurance generally always makes for an eventful day out! Glad all is well with you and the LO. Fortunately I haven't suffered from any swellings - as yet!! However I can completely empathis with you when you mentioned about passing out with pain because you needed to pee so bad on your way back home, on my last scan I peed 3 times afterwards at the hospital before getting in the car with my OH to go back home, and eventhough the jounrey isn't that long I thought I was going to wee in the car as I couldn't hold it in any longer, as soon as we pulled up outside the house I made a dash for the garden and watered the plants instead - au natural, what sweet releive that was :lol: !

Well at least ur reassured now and have had a giggle.

Your story made me laugh :lol:

Daggers said:
as soon as we pulled up outside the house I made a dash for the garden and watered the plants instead - au natural, what sweet releive that was :lol: !

Oh Daggers, I've just PMSL at that!!! :lol: :lol: I was considering pulling over at the side of the road at one point!!!! :shock:

I am soooo glad I am not the only one peeing for England!!! When I walk my dog in the mornings I have to go into the bushes and go au naturel at least 3 times in just the hour long walk.. totally devastating last week when got caught out by a jogger .. he did a double take when he saw me standing up pulling up my trackies... I must have gone purple with embarrasment but he just smiled and said.. "we gotta do what we gotta do"!! I was mortified! :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Tankett I am always pulling over on side of road when in car.. usually en route to see in laws and family as the drive is 3 hours and even though I go past services I never need to go then.. its always in the middle of nowhere that the pain gets me and it has to be IMMEDIATELY... me and the bushes around England are becoming quite well acquainted!!
:oops:

Anne-Marie that is so funny you got caught! As they say, you're always being watched by someone, somewhere! Nower days where ever I go I always have to plan my pee stops. Ages ago I got one of these 'Travel John's' from Tesco, it's basically as plastic bag with this gel stuff in it which I keep it in the car for those long journey's just in case I need to go - fortunately I haven't had to use it so far!!

Hi tankett - sorry to hear about your hospital trip - i had very swollen ankles with Ewan i was due in august and due to go on mat leave in july but they eventually signed me off work at the beginning of June.

It was nice to put my feet - but everything i did whether walkuing standing or sittin for to long made my arms legs,andfingers swell, had to remove my rings

Tankett! Sounds to me like you could have an early baby!

My feet and ankles swelled really badly and my blood pressure went up - thats why they're checking your urine too - for protein! All I know is that i had really swollen ankles for a couple of weeks - then Heidi was here!

Your post made me smile cos I was in the General the day before Heidi was born for blood pressure checks - and I was getting mad cos everyone was flapping, but I knew I had 2 and half weeks left and I just felt fine! Was reading Country Gardens magazines in the waiting room and was wondering what all the fuss was about!

Good luck

Hope your doing ok!

Do you fancy meeting up when your L/O is here?!

L x

Lisa, the only magazines that were in the waiting room were from 2000 !!!! It was very wierd reading in Hello about Catherine Zeta-Jones taking her hubby-to-be Michael Douglas to the Valley to meet the family for the first time!! :shock:

We should definitely arrange to meet up once my LO is born. Or possibly when I'm on maternity leave before?? I'll email you nearer the time hun.
x

Lol - The magazines I saw were all about other peoples posh houses!!! I remember being really bored whilst they measured my BP with one of those wrist things - and all I wanted to do was go home and get 'organised' cos I'd had a fall and had not been able to do anything for about 2 months, ready for the baby - and I'd just started to feel better so wanted to get on with things - So I went home and packed the hospital bag etc and before I knew it she was on her way!

Give us an email when you want to meet up!

L x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back