WTT for baby 2 but concerned about blood loss and traumatic labour

Just to go back to that "bonding rush" - I think that in an emergency situation it's really difficult to "feel" anything. With my daughter I only saw her little white body being whisked over my head and she was taken straight to SCBU (still not sure why as her APGAR score was really good). I didn't see or hold her for the first 3 days of her life as I was too ill. Even when I did hold her, I'm not sure I felt what could be described as a "bonding rush". I still hate the fact I missed her first few days. It was so, so different with my son. I held him straight after he was born and breast fed him once we were out of theatre. It was amazing. I didn't put him down for ages.

Thank you bunny, ella and phoebes mum x The m/w I spoke to was really lovely but I did get a sense that when reading my notes I noticed she put her hand to her mouth, like ohh when reading about what happened in theatre. ....and then changed from the -'these things happen' approach to - hmm you need to speak with a consultant and you did really well actually, and then she said she totally understands why I would want to know....

Bunny this sounds crazy but I feel in hindsight that I know exactly what you mean..I feel like my body and baby wasn't ready yet...not the medicals fault at the time - as far as they knew I was down with high blood pressure and to be induced I don't think we were ready for that.

I still feel that I need to see the consultant just in-case it was something to do with me that I bled so much. If so this will have a HUGE impact on whether we try for baby 2, my o/h doesn't ever want to be in the position of risking losing us again. I would rather an elective c-section if we do but if I get told that I might be really risky with the blood loss, I suppose I will have to accept that I can't have anymore babies of my own :cry: x

Hey up x I'm feeling much better this morning I think I just over think things and wind myself up stressing over possibilities sometimes but I'm sure it will all be fine not had any official bad news yet. My little girl is cruising around the room she's making me laugh, bet she'll be walking any day now! Okies I'm off to try and convince o/h to take us out for sunday dinner in a bit :) Hope you're all having a lovely weekend x

Glad you're feeling a bit better about it all this morning xxx

Hey guys just a quick update

I finally went to speak to a consultant/ surgeon today and it's great news! :D

She went through my notes and explained more thoroughly (talking about angles, etc) about the surgical procedure, and basically inferred what we expected - that my blood loss was probably a combination of blood flow due to forced labour, very quick c-section and that the incision was higher up, she said I didn't react ideally to the drugs given to assist my uterus to contract and this added to the reason for my additional blood loss. They were slightly concerned at one point about an extra piece of tissue to be sewn back up after the extended tear - but it was all fixed well and fine. No further issues there.

Basically I am fine to have more children and a planned c-section would be recommended in future (avoiding the induction process). She also said that many women who have had a similar first experience to mine go on to have a more controlled and relaxed planned c-sections without the difficulties brought on with induction in future births.

I kind of knew this and thank you all for your input and support, but it's just so reassuring hearing it from a consultant. I feel like my questions have been answered now and am looking forward to TTC again in the near future.

Happy Stacey :) xx

Thanks for the update. Glad you finally got some answers that make you more comfortable. Happy TTC ;)!

Wow Stacey, you really did go through a tough time didnt you!!

Im so glad that you have the news you wanted, and that you have every opportunity to have a normal c-section next time. Bring on TTC!!! :) x

Thanks for updating us, Stacey! Great news! Planned c-section was great as far as I was concerned and I'm sure you'll find the same. All the best with any future pregnancy xx

iv just read all of this thread and with just ten weeks to go i am in tears reading all the experiences. All u women are amazing to have gone through so much and then brush it back an try for another baby. Op i hope things are alot better for you this time xx

Hi guys, I read what you were saying about going through notes with midwife? Nine months on could I still ask my health visitor if I can do this?

Lots of love to all of you who have had traumatic births. It's the hardest thing, especially when you want more babies. X

Hey guys just a quick update

I finally went to speak to a consultant/ surgeon today and it's great news! :D

She went through my notes and explained more thoroughly (talking about angles, etc) about the surgical procedure, and basically inferred what we expected - that my blood loss was probably a combination of blood flow due to forced labour, very quick c-section and that the incision was higher up, she said I didn't react ideally to the drugs given to assist my uterus to contract and this added to the reason for my additional blood loss. They were slightly concerned at one point about an extra piece of tissue to be sewn back up after the extended tear - but it was all fixed well and fine. No further issues there.

Basically I am fine to have more children and a planned c-section would be recommended in future (avoiding the induction process). She also said that many women who have had a similar first experience to mine go on to have a more controlled and relaxed planned c-sections without the difficulties brought on with induction in future births.

I kind of knew this and thank you all for your input and support, but it's just so reassuring hearing it from a consultant. I feel like my questions have been answered now and am looking forward to TTC again in the near future.

Happy Stacey :) xx

Glad you got some answers and good news. I've made my mind up now I'm going for an elective with this one. I had to have a meeting with a consultant at the hospital. She hadn't even looked at my notes but spent 20 mins asking me what I felt and then 40 mins trying to persuade me to go vbac. The phrase 'I wouldn't offer it if I didn't feel you could do it because it would look bad on my statistics' made me think - yeah, that's what this is all about, your statistics not me! My midwife had already told me she would try and convince me because it's cheaper for the nhs for women to go vbac rather than section.

My midwife also told me about a scheme that my hospital are trialling where they use a Kangacardi for elective sections. You go into theatre wearing the special cardigan and as soon as baby is born and ok they put baby on your chest and wrap the cardigan around you both. They're not selling them but they are selling Kangawraps which are designed to carry baby skin to skin. I'll be buying one. http://www.kangawrap.co.uk/

Also I went to the baby show and saw Clare Byam-Cook talk about breast feeding, she is so inspirational and I came straight home and bought her book and dvd.

Feeling a lot more positive that I've made the right decision and glad to hear you're more positive too. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back