Would u say it's true boys are slower than girls?

toni64539

Reaction score
My son (although he was premature, so I know he's bound to be a bit slower) He is 13 months and has literally today only just learned to clap, he waved about a month ago, doesn't say anything, walks with furniture, but my friend has a little girl who is 8 months old and doing all those things and more. Are boys just lazy or do I have something to worry about?

Boys are lazier...I've got 4 boys and each 1 was different and I found that if they were slow in 1 area they excelled in another eg my eldest was walking at under 11 months but didn't speak fluently till a lot later.
My 2nd didn't walk till later but could speak full sentences at 18months,the same with my 3rd and my youngest was walking at 10.5 months but can't say more than 'mum' and 'hiya' and he's nearly 18months xx

Boys definitely develop a little bit behind the girls, I also think being the 1st or 2nd child in a family makes a big difference.

In my experience the baby boys I have known (friends babies) have been quicker at walking (3 of my friends boys were walking at 10 months), but they have been slower at talking whereas all the girl babies i have known have been quicker at talking but slower at walking!

Personally I just think it depends on the baby/child. I've childminded boys who've walked at 10 months and girls who've walked at 10 months. I didn't walk until I was 17 months old!! I've had some kids who talk early and others who take a bit longer. They all develop at different rates so it's pretty hard to judge i'd say.

P.S - Toni, Jack is 13 months and sounds at pretty much the same level as Solomon and he was born on time. Jack doesn't wave at all even though we do it every single bedtime without fail. He clapped a few months ago but won't do it anymore. However he is fantastic with his hands when it comes to spinning things. His fave toy is MIL's round coasters and he can spin them like a penny. He also has a very strong throw and is clearly left handed already which doesn't always show itself until they start forming letters with a pencil. I think he'll be physical rather than verbal for a while.

If you're worried i'd have a chat with your GP or HV but I wouldn't be worried just yet if it were me x

I wouldn't say so..
OH is a year younger than SIL and he learnt to use the potty before she did and taught her how to use it too! x

Thanks clairebear. That makes me feel a lot better! Can't believe we're doing it again ey? X

I think it depends on the child, T has grown up with a littlegirlfriend who is 2 weeks older, they have got to the same point eventually, just in a completely different way,T is far more active and exploring where his friend observes more... try not to worry hun x

I know its not a lot to compare as he is young, but Brian is 10 weeks tomorrow and is so aware, smiles, and giggled today :) he was holding his head early . He also can tell if his toys are facing him and talks to them lol

I think there is some debate about boys and girls learning to use different sides of the Brain fists - so there are some things that in general boys learn to do quicker, yet girls learn other skills first.

Also babies learn to do things over a wide span of time, I walked at 9months, which is pretty early, yet a little girl
In our signing class only recently took her first steps at 13months, so that looks like a big gap - yet there are prob loads of kids in between that and if you compared either to one who walked at 11months it doesn't look so odd
Iykwim.
Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I dont know, i started walking at 7 months with support although i was premature but A is just cruising now at 10 months and he was full term. Babies are so different when it comes to milestones but i think in general boys are more active and explore more.
Clare, i think we have a leftie too, he uses his left hanf to feed himself, even if he takes food with his right, he will pass it.
I was told you cant tell before they start wriring

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Don't worry , I have 4 kids, and the first walked at 12 mths, the second walked at 13 mths , the third walked at 16 mths, and the last at 14 mths, all boys except the one that was the slowest at 16 mths, but she did have very young older brothers and didn't need to move so much really.

My last baby , now 18mths, walked at 14 mths, he was sooooo wobbley and unsure for 2 mths and now it's still so funny, when were walking in town and I get him out, he is sooo doddery that people still stop and go ahhh, it's lovely when they take their first steps isn't it.... how old is he? So I say he's 18 mths and has been walking for 4 mths now.... ha their faces......

We waved every day at bedtime too, and he never copied, all his friends were doing it and not him. He waves to everyone in the street now, he is 18 mths, and says like a hey noise , and waves when he sees anyone, even animals and bugs...

Don't worry they really do make up for any lateness with earlyness in another thing. eg hand /eye or speaking, etc you justhave to wait to see what he is really good at.

Oh something worth mentioning, the speed mine walked was totally matching how big their feet were?
So my fastest walker had 4.5 feet when he went into his first shoes, my second fastest had 4.5 feet, my next was just into a 4, and my slowest by far only had size 2 feet for ages. We got married when she was 18 mths, she di walk then but could'nt get her any proper clarks type walker shoes as too small still, so had to get her pink fashion type trainers from next to go with her bridesmaid dress, so feet size can make a balance difference I think

I dont know, i started walking at 7 months with support although i was premature but A is just cruising now at 10 months and he was full term. Babies are so different when it comes to milestones but i think in general boys are more active and explore more.
Clare, i think we have a leftie too, he uses his left hanf to feed himself, even if he takes food with his right, he will pass it.

We have no lefty's in the family so it's all new to us!! He won't even take food with his right hand! He only eats with his left hand while holding his right hand in the air?! He does throw a ball with his right hand but his left hand throw is amazing and so accurate! I'm looking forward to teaching him to write letters, will be different teaching a lefty!

We have no lefty's in the family so it's all new to us!! He won't even take food with his right hand! He only eats with his left hand while holding his right hand in the air?! He does throw a ball with his right hand but his left hand throw is amazing and so accurate! I'm looking forward to teaching him to write letters, will be different teaching a lefty!

There are quite a few lefties on my DH's side so i am not surprised. Will ask MIL for tips. Both her children are lefties although.shr said my DH was undecided for a long time. Tulypical male i say lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back