Worried about his speech

nicki

Reaction score
I was reading the other post about what our kiddies are saying * i'm worried about Jamie's speech. He's just turned 18 months & doesn't really say anything, he will try and say da-da or mumma when prompted and will say 'day' for stay when we ask him to tell the dog to stay but its more of a game, if you see what I mean. He doesn't say anything else, we keep on encouraging him & try & get him to repeat something but he just refuses, what can I do???? he just seems to be so slow compared to every other baby I know of! :shock:

hi hun i wouldnt worry up until hannah was 2 about 8 weeks ago she wasnt saying much other than mum, dad, no and they wer'nt very clear now there is nothing she cant say, she is stringing sentences togeather and her talking is really clear and that all happened in about six weeks, you can have a proper conversation with her now.
i took her to a new playgroup the other day and the other mum even said how good her talking was, i was so proud

my mate has 20 month old twins hun the girl says loads but all the boy says is mum dad baba and ta they are all different try not to worry enjoy the peace im sure when he gets going there will be no stopping him :hug: xxxxxxx

Don't worry. I know it is easier said than done, but try not to.

I think as long as he is communicating in trying to get what he wants eg. pointing and babbling then there isn't anything to worry about.

Kai doesn't say much, he says baby, bird and mama but I feel it is only a matter of time before he starts saying 'proper' words instead of his baby language.

The one thing I find is that mixing with kids helps everything. They are like monkeys copying everything the others do.

Dont worry, every kid is different - my eldest daughter talked early and a lot - still does :roll:
her little brother was very quiet until he was well over two, and then, OMG he started!

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Seren wasn't really saying a alot at 18 months but we can't shut her up now. She just seemed to wake up one morning with speech. Now we have to watch her as she copies everything we say.

Aimees 22 months now and she can hardly say anything. We have a few words that only us can understand and the odd clear one. She calls ice cream van 'ba be ba' but we know what she means :D

hi ya hun :wave:

i wouldnt worry too much, they all develop at different stages and some people tend to make out their child has been talking since they entered the world!
Aimee does talk for england but she babbles and i cannot understand what she is saying most of the time. She knows lots of words but is lazy and wont finish them.
At 18months she would say the odd word but not much and she still wont call me mummy iv always been baba ! she does it on purpose now!

x

Jack is almost 1and half, and he doesnt say anything, he babbles but says no words.my older daughter was a slow talker to, im tryin not to compare but it is hard and i think that when jack starts doin things (he doesnt walk either),it will all come on quick.

Thanks everyone :hug: I know once he does start i'll probably wish he hadn't!!!! I spoke to a friend of mine who's a speech & language therapist & she said not to start worrying until he's 2, if he hasn't stared by then he would be refered so got a bit of time yet, knowing him he'll probably just wake up one morning & start talking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back