oh no....another thread on Kai's speech!

babsi

Reaction score
Again another thread on this. Went to the doctors today for his 2 year check-up and again speech came up. We have to go to the hospital for a hearing test (I am 100% sure it is nothing to with that) but anyway I have to phone up about the speech therapy to get that started but it not like he doesn't say anything, here are the list of words he says:

mama
mummy
hello
bye bye
car
bus
choo choo
bear
cat
up
baby
blue
cup
bar
lala
book
girl
box

it's not that bad is it, the doctor said he should be saying 50 consistent words and putting words together.

I just don't feel anything is that wrong, his behaviour is getting better, not so many incidents to report. He talks in his own language most of the time. He knows his colours, shapes, body parts etc etc. And he is starting with his alphabet, I say the alphabet and he can say a lot of the letters, and can recognise letter in books and even when we are out he is pointing them out.

The other day I went to a toddler group and the woman that worked there said that he needs the speech theraphy as he will have problems when he is at school. :think:

I just don't want to put pressure on him, sorry I am rambling now but the situation just pisses me off.

And then I had a lecture about him not drawing circles, he scribbles very well but he should be drawing circles lol

I hate going to these places, you always come out feeling bad.

Try not to take it personally, some people just put things wrong.
Take all the help they are offering and I bet he comes on leaps and bounds. He sounds very clever and not as if he doesnt know things, he just needs a bit of help to put them all together.

You are a fab mum :cheer:

Tias speech was appalling at 2 years... she seems to have been far behind your son at that age. Also all her words were mispronounced. I could understand her but no one else could.

I knew she had problems...but it was a battle to get anyone to see it.

trust your instincts...sounds like your son is very bright and if he can say his colours, shapes, body parts then you can add those to the list too :)

It sounds like your son is doing very well for himself, I haven't even started with letters for my daughter although if she points at words I'll read them out.

Remember that these sessions are mainly to check that children are not massively behind in anything as most extremes in ability will have evened out by the time they go to school.

My daughter's nursery pointed out to me that sometimes Lucy is difficult to understand when she speaks, I was a bit surprised because I rarely have problems understanding her unless she rushes or says a new word. But then I thought about it and realised that most children pronounce things with a little lisp (she says w instead of r and that kind of thing) but eventually as they get older they learn the correct way of talking.

I'm not sure about his "own language" but so long as he communicates with you and others when he needs to then I don't think its something to worry about.

Thanks!

I just phoned up about Speech therapy and it is a 6-7 month waiting list :( So, it just doesn't solve the problem.

For teaching numbers, colours, shapes and letters we brought him this: http://www.teach-my.com/ Without that I don't think he would be good at them.

jessica was just scribbling at 2 years and the h/v said she was happy with that, at her two year check a few years ago. No child develops at the same rate and their is no text book child, rebecca has only started walking at 16 mths and she says her words more clearer than jessica ever it at this age. So if i was you dont worry hun, your lo is doing just fine.

Anyway in my red book for rebecca on the is your child talking part pg 17. it says "is your child saying 10 words (minium)" under the 2 years section, so personally i think your lo is developing fine hun.

just looked at your link for teach my toddler, think i will get that for rebecca, ta hun.

I wouldn't worry too much - I think your son sounds very bright. My youngest niece is 2 next month and doesn't say a word yet. My nephew is 5 and doesn't speak well at all - no one can understand him, he can't really speak in sentences either. My eldest niece is 7 and her speech is also very behind. But this is all down to my sister (their mother) not putting in any time or effort to help them. So, I wouldn't worry, your boy sounds like he's doing brilliantly.

As someone else has said don't take it personally hun but do take all the help that they are offering you! He doesn't sound like he needs alot of speech therapy so he may be one of them children that they see every once in a while to check how they're getting on, they are there to help the children not to judge.

:shock: i dont know why they are sending for speech therapy i know loads of 2 year olds and most of them cant say half as much as your child try not to worry hun your son sounds quite bright to me :D xxxxxxxxx

Hi I'm a speech and language therapist, without seeing Kai I cannot give a reccomendation but as a rule of thumb we suggest children to say about 50 ish words by the time they are two. However as everyone else has said, children develop at different stages and to their own priorities and as a therapist I cannot say at this age which child will and which child won't have speech difficulties in the future but if there is a slight concern it is better to get it checked out by a speech and language therapist the younger the child is. If it is left then the child may be trying to catch up to the desired level for a long time. When you go, the therapist will talk with you about the words that Kai is saying but they may also talk about what he is communicating, (children "say" a lot non-verbally and parents find it easy to pick up on this, so he may be communicating a lot but not saying many words, this means he is getting his message across and just needs to learn the names for objects and actions)
It is easy to compare your child with others (I know I do too) and think what they can and can't do, but speech and language is so fundamental to everything in life that we do its better to get it checked sooner rather than later (or as the waiting list allows - there is national shortage in SLT's).
I hope that is ok. Chris.

Being 100% honest - if he says those words he is saying more than my DD.
My HV suggested speech therapy but we are leaving her for now to let her pick it up in her own time.

I feel like a failure especially when I see other babies a year younger than my daughter with the same level of speech BUT they are all different and develop at different rates. They'll catch up in their own time and we'll wish they hadn;'t :hug:

Jack has never said a word. he failed his speech at his two year check and then did a nelson test were everything else was found to be behind, i expected this and had been asking for jack to be looked at for months. he will finally get some help as i know it wont be long till he at nursery and i want him to have the best start and not be left behind. im sure he gets frustrated not being able to communicate as i would. he is to have a hearing test and been referred to the child development centre, im quite relieved as i know i wasnt being a over anxious mother the heath visitors made me out to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back