• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

1 year old's speech

Im trying to find actual studies for you but I couldnt resist copy pasting this quote from a website for youse all

http://www.brainy-child.com/article/bilingual.shtml

"There are speech therapists and medical doctors who claim that using two languages at young age causes language delay and language disorder. The common reason for this claim is twofold. First, they claim that hearing two or more languages will confuse the child and lead to grave problems in acquiring language. Second, it is claimed that the acquisition of the main language of the environment will stand a better chance without competition from the other language.
However, there is no scientific evidence to date that using two or more languages leads to delays or disorders in language acquisition. Many children throughout the world grow up with two or more languages from infancy without showing any signs of language delays or disorders. These children provide visible proof that there is no causal relationship between a bilingual environment and language learning problems. In addition, there is no scientific evidence that giving up one language automatically has a beneficial effect on the other. "

although that websites not great cos it goes on about the one-parent-one-language strategy which now disproven.

Last edited:
H says mum, dad, bubba, what's that or whose that (does this when he picks up something) ta, hello and ra ra (the dog!)

Kian doesnt say any words yet at 13 months he just babbles, and kind of says dadada, mamama, bababa, oh but he can say brum brum, if he sits on bike! xx

noa calls me, he calls mamma without a problem, he have started to say pappa but its still not so common, sometimes he says nana and i think he mean noa when he says that. thats it tho, he copy me sometimes when i say hey. xx

Tiny surely it must take a little longer if u need to learn more then 1 language? i mean noa hear 3 diferent words for 1 thing which mean it must take a little longer as the same word dont get repeted enough?

thats what you would think from logic but all the research shows that these children just do it, its amazing. The research fascinates me. They found that people who learn more than 1 language from birth use different parts of their brain for the different languages. When my greatgran had a stroke she couldnt speak english or understand it anymore but had no difficulties at all in welsh.

If you learn a language when youre older you use the same part of your brain as your first language so its harder work. A lot of the advice about raising bilingual children comes from what adults know about how it feels to learn another language, but its not the same. Children learn language in a different way to adults. And the research shows that most of the logic doesnt actually happen in real life IYSWIM.

Babies are amazing :lol:

my friends little girl tho is spoken to in polish by the mum n english by the dad, she understood u when u spoke english to her, but would only reply in polish (which most of us plus the dad didnt understand until one day when she was about 2.5 it was like it suddenly clicked n she could switch over english polish no problem?

also i wonder about dembas language, he dont have conversations with noa in his language, its most just words here and there, like come, no, dont cry ect.. i dont know why he dont use it more like flowing conversation but does this mean that noa migt not pick up on his language verywell

yeah children under 3 tend to mix up the languages in 1 sentence, but after 3 they separate them, and have no problems. If you test the language development of 4 year olds theres no difference between the bilinguals and non bilinguals. although some studies show that the bilinguals are better :p

is it true that its easier for them to learn another language later on? what if noa speak 4 language fluently later on!!!

easy until puberty, then its hard, like for an adult.

Isnt it mental that we wait until secondary school to introduce other languages to kids?! Just at the time in their life when their brain cant naturally do it anymore. :roll:

how old are you in secondary school? in sweden we start english when we are 10 and another language when we are 13. but at 13 it was to dificult.

I had primary - middle school - then comp but I think some kids go now at 11? Its too late isnt it.

In germany they learn english in primary school and theyre all really good at english. I dunno why we dont do it, they absorb language like a sponge in primary school.

theyre all really good at english.

just read that back, what an overgeneralisation :roll:

I just meant in general German adults have a much better level of English than we do other languages in the UK.

My eldest could say loads of words between 10-12 moths, but he also walked at 9 month and crawled at 6
The middle child could say mammy and daddy at about 11 months but he didn't say much more for a while because he only used to say words that he could pronounce properly (strange kid lol) he didn't walk until he was 17 months but crawled at about 8 months
My youngest didn't start talking until he was gone one, couldn't even sit up until he was 8 months old and started walking at 14 months. He says loads of words but I can hardly even make them out, never mind anyone else lol

See so even siblings develop at different rates so don't worry about what Joe bloggs down the street can do at 11 months old. I'm sure your LO is doing just fine xx

Evelyn talks shit - it's so funny! She'll have a right long conversation with you Haha!

She says Dada, Mama and Nana. If you ask her what a doggy does she'll reply "Fffffffffffffff!" :doh:

:lol: to morgan every animal says "raaaaaaaaaaa" cos we taught him the lion first, and for some reason, his lions whisper :rofl:

he's started saying "yep... yeah...yep," when youre talking to him, all perfectly timed and I do feel like we're having a chat, although Im pretty certain I could say "are you a giraffe?" and he'd either say "raaaaaaaaaa" (whispered) or "yep"

^^^ ah so cute! Perhaps he is trying not to scare you by whispering the lion!

Owen has been finding me saying 'buzzy buzzy bee' hysterical and now trying to buzzz. So cute!

It's amazing how much they understand. When he's in the 'right mood' he can point to a load of stuff. Other times, nah, too busy trying to destroy something! (he know his cup, the cat, his bunny toy, his head etc...but does he know mummy and daddy?>!! does he hell!)

Herbie has really started talking lately he say tickle tackle as soon as you take his nappie off lol.

When the phone rings he shouts 'who's it'

'you dare' when he is doing something he shouldn't.

He shouts his 'Tedda' when he is tried and when he cant find him he say 'where's gone' lol

And 'get down' when he climbs

It's so cute I love him starting to say thing been looking in monty baby book and it say first birthday words I can say.

Nemo, goal, get down and fish I can't remember a thing lol

Oliver is 1 in 2 weeks. He says Dada, Mummy, Nanna, Doggy, Cat, Car, "I did it!" and "Whos that?" lol all these are very clear but he dosnt put them to the right things. he just copies what you say. he is very behind in all other ways though. I hold his bottle. I feed him even finger foods have to be dropped in his mouth because he will sit there with mouth open like lord muck haha! He was late at sitting - 9 months! Hes just this week started army crawling. Cannot go from laying to sitting or sitting to crawling. Hes making an attempt to pull up but failing badley! He cannot stand or cruise. But he has a Pedicatrican appt on 18th Oct so we'll see what they say then. HV isnt concerned, He WAS feeding himself finger food until he bit too much off n i panicked n held off a while and now weve gone back to it Mummy has to feed him lol. Oh n he has no teeth n very little hair! His speech is there but not much else. :)

Leo says alot but he has lots of siblings hun. He says Mum, Dad, Grandad, Nan but can say Mummy, Daddy, Nanny. Up, Out, Hannah, Jacob, No, Yes, Kid, Did It, Lie Down, Out, PWeeeese, Ta....thats a few but he doesnt say then all the time my favourite one has to be 'Jacob Did it' :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back