When can the midwife tell what way baby is lying?

drea b

Reaction score
Just wondered at what point the midwife can feel baby to tell you what way he/she is lying. I've been proding about all weekend and have absolutley no idea what I'm feeling!!! I've got my midwife appointment on Wednesday and wondered if she would be able to tell.

I think I was first told around 26 weeks? Not 100% sure without looking at my notes though...

yes shell be able to tell, in my notes theyve wrote free/ceph at 26 weeks so ceph means cephalic (head down) and free (non engaged)

I asked this at my 28 week appointment, she could tell baby was head down but said he would probably have moved again by the time I got home!

Last week my MW said you can't tell at 29 weeks which way baby is lying :? . Obviously there are 2 big lumps, head and bum, but can't yet tell which is which.

i saw my MW today and she said my bubs was transverse at the mo. She seemed to know which end was bum and which was head!

Fingers crossed said:
Last week my MW said you can't tell at 29 weeks which way baby is lying :? . Obviously there are 2 big lumps, head and bum, but can't yet tell which is which.

:? i got told which was mine was lying at my 24 week appointment!

I was told at my last appointment at 27 weeks that baby was head down, but that she was also 'free' so could basically switch positions whenever she liked! And she does! I have another appointment on Friday and expect to be told something similar. I can't tell her head from her bum yet but know that she likes to lie transverse and pummell me on both sides at once! It really cracks me up! Especially when she makes my belly button lift up and down! :rotfl:

I was told at 26 weeks. I guess it just goes on what they can feel.

I went to the midwife today (27 weeks) and she could feel it was head down. She also said it could wriggle it's way into another position by the time I got in the car park.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back