what vitamins ect. to take when TTC

winnie89

Reaction score
hiya guys was doing a little research on the internet, about TTC, it says about general health and improving it (which i'm already starting to do) and then it mentioned about multi-vitamins, but got a little confused i already take a multi-vitamin, and a few other drugs (glucosamine & codliver oil- as i have got arthritis and it makes it more manageable) just need a general picture on what i should be taking and when. Because i havent got an appointment with doctor for a few weeks and i want to be prepared and not look like a total idiot when he asks me what i take.

please help guys x

if you already take a multi vit- see how much folic acid is on it? as the most important thing for a woman to take while ttc is folic acid to prevent spinal issues with the fetus!

The recommended daily intake of folic acid for all women of childbearing age is at least 400 micrograms (mcg), or 0.4 milligrams (mg). Taking folic acid for at least one month before conception reduces the risk of neural-tube defects, such as spina bifida, by up to 70 percent, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

hope this helps x

hiya just read the back of multivitamin pack and it says it contains 200 mcg but it also contains vitamin A which says on the packet that it shouldn't be taken by women TTC or pregnant women im very confused?

Don't think that would be enough so I would suggest getting more folic acid supplements x

You can get mum to be/pregnancy specific vits which will be more geared to what you want and include the folic acid dose etc. They are in most supermarkets. Also you can get conception/fertility vits for him which have loads of zinc for help with the swimmers.

I take pregnacare conception, a multivitamin specifically designed for women ttc

I take my folic acid and also have baroccas every day but I do eat very well with a lot of veggies so think I wee out most of the berocccas!! Spinach and mushrooms are a good source of folic acid too if you want to supliment things! Did start taking pregnacare but kept forgetting (dunno why when take other pills every day) so just carried on with what I was taking!!
xxxx

We've just started the pregnacare his and hers vitamins. It's got a pack of multivits for me with folic acid and a different pack for OH with added zinc. We only started taking them yesterday though, so don't know how well we'll remember to take them. Especially as you have to take them with your main meal of the day. Hopefully because we're both taking them, and our evening meal is the only one we eat together, this should remind us to take them!

They are a bit pricey though. If you're prepared to stock up, Boots has them on 3 for 2, this works out at about £12 per pack. There are others out there. Sanatogen also has a mother and father to be pack if you're looking for something for both of you to take. Or if you're just looking for something for yourself then chemists and supermarkets have a couple of different pre-conception vitamins supplements which have everything geared up to help get your body ready for pregnancy.

Also 3 for 2 on vits at Tesco. FYI on most 3 for two offers its the cheapest one free. The mens vits were a lot more expensive than the womans so I made DH go through the checkout with the 3x the mens vits and I went through the checkout with 3x the womans vits, that way we got the best saving we could.

Yes, I am that cheap :)

yeah bth it's best to be that way, and i know what you mean, i looked at some for mark and they are like 3 or 4 quid dearer than what womens are. i 'm a right bargain hunter when it comes down to it, loved going shopping with my mom in merry hill for cheap clothes and stuff for the baby, paid like 2 quid for a really expensive dressing gown from t.k.maxx :D lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back