What to eat/drink and what not to eat/drink...

MrsLloyd2B

Reaction score
I thought it would be good to have a post where we can list and discuss all the food and drink it is advised to aviod and what it is advised we get alot of when preg it might help us to start early to prepare us for when we get our BFP??

What not to eat/drink...
When you’re pregnant, it’s best to stop drinking alcohol altogether. But if you do drink, have no more than 1 or 2 units of alcohol, once or twice a week and don’t get drunk.
Some cheeses such as Camembert, Brie or chevre
Avoid all types of pâté, including vegetable.
Avoid eating raw eggs and food containing raw or partially-cooked eggs. Only eat eggs cooked enough for both the white and yolk to be solid.
Make sure you only eat meat that has been well cooked.
Avoid eating any shark, swordfish and marlin. Limit the amount of tuna you eat to no more than two tuna steaks a week
Avoid raw shellfish.
You should limit the amount of caffeine you have each day, but you don't need to cut it out completely
Serious allergies to nuts and nut products and some seeds affect about 1 to 2% of people in the UK. Your baby may be at higher risk of developing a nut allergy if you, the baby's father, brothers or sisters have certain allergic conditions such as hayfever, asthma and/or eczema.
If your baby is in this higher-risk group, you may wish to avoid eating peanuts and peanut products when you're pregnant and breastfeeding.

What to eat/drink.....
Green tea
Fruit and veg
Pink grapefruit juice

Ref: http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/agesandstages ... rpregnant/

Anything that you think is missed out at all?

Feel free to delete this topic if you feel its not needed!!

do prawns count as shellfish?

I think it's a good idea - what a lt of stuff though!!

thanks for that, i will miss my poached eggs, i have chickens so i know they are fresh but i guess i had better not risk it

there is also meat i believe, should be cooked through no rare steak, luckily i have mine well done :rotfl:

it does make me laugh tho, they say ensure chicken etc is cooked all the way through.....

yeah coz i normally eat mine raw! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

There is quite alot on there isnt there!

According to the website prawns are fine :)

x

Think excellent topic, cant believe prawns ok seen as they eat all the crap of the bottom of the sea even so I love them!!
Laughed at sams comment on raw chicken!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

:( i like my steak bleeding! straight off the cow's backside!

alot of what they say is basic food hygiene so it should be everyday practice :roll:

Agree with sam on hygiene and I like very rare steak too rosie animal.

I was thinking what did our parents do as they didnt have all the info we get these day and we all turned out alright didnt we?

Well suppose thats questionable for me dh would def say I am bonkers, maybe mum had brie or prawns who knows!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

roseanimal said:
:( i like my steak bleeding! straight off the cow's backside!

have you heard of those people that ear there steak blue, if in a resturant they have to sign a disclaimeer!!
Im stuffed on the caffine, 3 cups to wake me up, 2 at lunchtime, and then quite a few throughout the afternoon....think its time to hit the decaf!!

Mad isnt it health and safety gone mad re the disclaimer, I worry about coffee I drink quite a bit and diet coke which has caffine in think decaff too.

Was chatting to sam about how much we ttc's spend and thats just another cost to the list!!
We should set up a how much we spend thread bet its loads!!!

Good thread! I too am sad about the rare steak but better safe than sorry.

Might it be worth adding folic acid to that post? I know you don't technically eat it but it's an important part of pregnancy!

yes you cant have prawns there top of the list i love prawns as well :(
and you cant eat any soft cheese or have fried eggs and you cant eat liver
and you cant cook food in your microwave!! because of the radio waves
so they say .. not to use your microwave or even stand by one when one is being used ..

or do your garden with out using gloves touching soil and cleaning up cat litter
can cause somthing called toxmaplosis i know i have spell that wrong but you
girls will know what i mean.... Any way when you think about all this do not eat
and can eat i think its stupid lets face it all thesa women that have no problems
ttc they eat what they want takeaways, indian food, and all is well they get pg!
carry there babys fine eat what they want when they want.

In america they eat hamburgers and nothing but hamburgers!
washed down with giant fizzy drinks and there fine.. a mean how many pregnant ladies
have used a microwave to cook there lunch when pg proberely millions..

My mum eat liver all the time when pg with me she said its full of iron and good for ya
i hate the stuff personally but she had me and four other kids eating what she wanted
hence my sister eat cheese and all the things your told not to and had 3 kids

I know we just follow by the book cause were ttc and for some its easier to ttc
than others so we stick to the strict rules just to give us the best possible chance
but all the dont eat and do it is proberely a myth!

I know eating healthy is a good thing when pregnant because you wont put a lot
of weight on but when you hear your hospital say dont use or stand by a microwave
it makes you laugh doesnt it :lol: cause there seems to be somthing new every year
being added to the do's and donts list! i know touching soil or cat litter is true
and not eating prawns or eggs and the mayo has to be helmans only i always followed
thesa rules and stoped fizzy drinks and stuck to water only but its crazy!

They seem to cut out all the stuff we love :rotfl: i even read some where
chocolate is a no no now what pg lady does not have a bar of choc when there
craving :lol:

:)

The liver/pate thing is a good one to follow as too much vitamin A can cause some pretty gruesome birth defects however the amount of vitamin A you'd need is probably a huge amount more than you'd get from some pate on toast.

Most of the 'rules' seem to be there to stop the mum to be getting food poisoning (prawns, cheese) and other illnesses but chances are, if you have a litter tray to change, you have already been in contact with cats (shock horror) which means you most likely have already contracted (and therefore developed immunity to) toxoplamosis. Which means you're fine. So it's just a precaution as you dont normally know when you contract toxo. It's just a mild fever/flu-like symptoms for a day or two then your immune system kicks it out. So the cat litter/soil thing is really jut a precaution but worth following JUST IN CASE you haven't got immunity as it can cause some pretty grim defects too.

As Mr B says, women were having babies years before folic acid and pate bans (and were probably drinking ale and mead along with it :lol:) but in my eyes, if it doesn't hurt you then why NOT do it? I really fancy pate today but there's no way I'm going to have any. Just in case...

Dont get me wrong, im pretty laid back and a mother of 2 already so im pratically horizontal.......but you really dont need to worry about any of that until your actually pregnant. Maybe Im wrong, but people get sp het up about TTC, i think anyone in here have enough pressure on them TTC let alone worrying about foods etc.

I must admit I do err on the side of caution now I could possibly be pregnant - I mean I won't go out and get drunk now that would be stupid - but I will have a glass of wine if I want one over the weekend or maybe one or 2 during the week. I will stop when I know I am pregnant, saying that I did have my 2 units a week with Nicola :oops:

Like wise I will conitnue to eat prawns (I love em) and drink my many cups of tea a day - although I am drinking some decaff now - but that is purely down to the fact I was feeling very jittery after Mum died and I put that down to my tea intake going from about 10 cups a day to 20 :rotfl:

20 A DAY!? How do you not spend all day peeing?! Tea (even when not pregnant) makes me need to pee a LOT :lol:

I will still have prawns. If I've cooked them myself I think or if I know they're super fresh. I will have to stay away from rare steaks but may allow myself them 'medium' in later trimesters...

It's the wine that'll be tricky. like you I don't drink it during the 2ww (or at least, during the last week of it :lol:)...

Yeah 20 was mianly when my Mum was ill. When she got diagnosed with lung cancer I gave up the fags and replaced them with caffine - I was bouncing off the walls so my Dad bought me decaff which I drink now as well as normal tea and a green/black tea blend which helped. I am back to my 10 a day now - a mixture of the above.

Oh boy I never got off the loo then if I was ttc I would have been convinced I was pregnant - with triplets to expand my womb that much :shock: :rotfl:

I can see where your coming from those who mention about not worrying about the do's and don'ts when TTC (and preg)

I just thought it would be useful for those who want to try and aviod or who are just interested to have a look and discuss views on it.

I just thought that for someone like me who loves brie and some of the other foods on the no no list, it would be good for me to start eating less and less and start to cut it out so i don't have a shock when get preg and suddenly cut it out! lol

Hope people don't think i'm a crazy obbsessed person! :oops:

Just thought it might be useful to discuss our views on the do's n don'ts and see what the main advice is :D

I ate blue cheese and drank wine last saturday and I LOVE sushi and had some for my lunch (in fact i made so much I think it will be my lunch and dinner all week) and it has prawns and tuna in (not in the same pieces though! :puke: ) so obviousy I'm not following this til i find out. I do think it's interesting to know though, so you know in advace and don't get a big shock or if you have a minor addiction (like sushi) you can try and give it up a bit

i think most of the stuff you should eat/drink is good for you anyway when ttc and i think that's a very handy bit of this topic. I'm starting to love green tea although when i first tried it i thought it was totally :puke: :puke: :puke:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back