Food and Drink? Help!

leckershell

Reaction score
Hello,

Had a scan through the past few pages and apart for a couple of miscellaneous food/drink threads theres no list for whats good and whats bad..

I was told fish is bad to eat as it has vitamin a in, and also liver (who eats liver anyway?!), and read on here that soft cheeses aren't good.

Is there anything else in specific that I shouldn't eat or drink that are probably quite well known? I don't have a clue where to start! I know alcohol is definately not good, but what's the limit if there is one?

Confused! Help!

Michelle x

they say to avoid strawberries, peanuts caffine. also cook meat throughly and also eggs. dont eat any sauces like mayo that contain raw egg, onlypasturied will do:)

not all fish is bad hun - just certain ones like tuna because they contain mercury.

seafood (other than fish) is best avoided - although I've been eating prawns and ate them during my last pregnancy also. Naughty me. I love them so much.

liver and offal in general you aren't supposed to eat.
also:
paté
runny or raw eggs
peanuts (if you have a family history of nut allergies)
soft cheeses (cheese spreads are fine but things like bree aren't)

also it's best to avoid or at least greatly limit your intake of:

caffeine
alcohol (best to avoid completely if you ask me)
strawberries (to prevent allergies....doubt it's gonna be a problem in the middle of winter though).
artificial sweeteners (it's inconclusive what it can do to a fetus, but it's best to exercise caution and not have it in excess)

here is a link :
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/ar ... icleId=917

and another one about artificial sweeteners:
http://www.amazingpregnancy.com/pregnan ... s/127.html

i dont think you should worry yourself too much i mean i'm pregnant with my 4th child n didnt even know you shouldnt eat strawberries n had a gorgeous punnet from marks n sparks last week, and i've eaten them with all my kids cos i love them lol

and i thought it was good to eat fish but no more than 3 portions a week i think, cos fish is what helps develops the babies brain :) hence all this big omega 3 campaign

i'm sorry to come along n add to the confusion

*quietly skulks away *

yeh true some people eat loads of stuff during pregnancy that they aren't supposed to and end up with healthy children....

then again some people smoke during pregnancy and nothing bad happens....it's not recommended though!

Xena said:
not all fish is bad hun - just certain ones like tuna because they contain mercury.

:( tuna is the one fish i actually like. i didnt know you shouldnt eat it. luckily i havent had it in a while. i did have 2 sweatners on the 24th though.

You can eat tuna, but it's not recommeneded to eat more than one tin a week :)

the advice is so conflicting isn't it!

My midwife gave me a good magazine published by the NCT, called Bumps and babies which has a very conclusive article on food in it..... we also spent a while talking this through, so maybe get your midwife to clarify the current thinking ith you?

Or you can order it free from the NCT website.

I was told up to 2 cans of tuna a week is fine, cheeses are oK too as long as it is pasteurised and in date, nuts are OK as long as there is no history of nut allergy in your family. Avoid undercooked/ raw eggs and meat. Wash veg and fruit thoroughly, especially if it is home grown/ muddy before cooking or eating raw.

I was told that 2 cans of tuna are ok basically i got told the same as you topbird .

I dont half miss my runny egg though :( :wall:

I don't eat eggs anyway, so the 5 min lecture about them was a bit wasted on me..... but I do miss rare beef and steak! Had to change my order at my christmas parties before Christmas as I had pre-ordered rare steak before I was pregnant and had to ask my mum NOT to cook roast fillet of beef on Christmas day........ very hard!

I dont half miss my runny egg though

god so do I

I eat strawberries too..This one loves fruit but not fruit allergies in my family not even heard that one.

The peanuts they say if you or your partner have a asthma also avoid.I ate loads at the beginnning of my pregnancy coz i didn't know this ...You ask most of us we've all ate something we shouldn't at some point.

The mayo you can eat shop made but make sure if you eat out and have mayo you ask if its homemade.

And i miss faggots so much ( also made from liver) mmmmm.

Didn't realise faggots were made of liver :| thought it was mince meat just rolled up in a ball :doh:

Re: Fish, apparently Dolphin Friendly fish is ok as it is farmed in water that is treated better and has less dodgy chemicals in it..? I had cod when I visited my dad the other day cos he didn't know, but I was just thinking please be ok please be ok! :)

Man, I really love food. Been eating so so much these past couple weeks. Been good too, as been drinking way more water than usually would. Seems my tastes are up and down too, like one day something tastes really good and the next day it tastes gross.

Fish is fine, in fact recommended to eat 2-3 portions of fish a week, it is only tuna they advise to eat in moderation.

Does anyone know if there's any problems associated with Avocados? I've had a real fancy for them the last few days! :lol:

Sabrina
x

I don't think so! don't remember reading anything about them. They are really good for you normally so go for it if you fancy it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back