What happens at first midwife appoint?

Bella2

Reaction score
I have my first appointment with the midwife on 21st October, I will be around 9 weeks by then. Just wondered what happens at the first appointment? Do they take a blood test or is it just a case of booking the scan and filling in forms? I really hate blood tests so want to be prepared if she's going to do it that day!

im only 4 and a half weeks so havent had mine but the doctor told me when i do have it they will take blood, im just as squeamish so i had to ask! lol x

Your first appointment will be your booking appointment, they will take details on ur medical history, ur OH medical history ect, You normally go to the hospital for your bloods x x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a hours appointment with midwife I got my blue book and we filled it out she also took my blood ( which I still have massive bruise from now!! Don't think she liked me)
And got a load of information. That was it really! And I won't see her again till 16 weeks as this is my second baby x x

The way things happen where I am, I usually go to see my midwife at the GP's surgery, and she just takes some details, such as LMP, where I want to have the baby and so on. Then she refers me to the hospital for the booking in appointment, where all the bloods are taken, medical history, first scan and so on. It can take more than an hour at the hospital, especially if there is a scan involved at the same time.

It depends on were u live. This time I had full bookin in at clinic at 9 weeks,family history,bloods etc etc but with my last I just had an informal chat at 8 weeks,sent referral off for scan and then had bookin in at 15 weeks xxx

hi
i had my first midwife app this morning, it wasnt at the hospital but she still took bloods and a urine sample. filled in forms, noted down mine and partners medical history. she booked my scan and ask if we had any questions. got lots of leaflets and vouchers and freebies as well. then she booked our next app which is at 16weeks. it was quite informal but imformative :) be prepared to have bloods taken! xx

thanks guys! At least if I'm prepared that will be better. Sounds sad but my mum is going to come with me as I have a tendancy to faint when I have blood taken! Looking forward to booking in for my scan though! Will the midwife be able to tell me a rough date for my scan or do I have to wait for it to come through and take whatever they offer me? DP is working away for a couple of weeks in November and it would be awful if it fell during that time :cry:

aww i hope you get the scan date you want bella! im the same.. kive only ever had 2 blood tests and fainted both times :-( not looking forward to it! x

my wifes midwife appointment until 12 and half weeks, 1 day after the first scan. no idea what to expect with her tho. hope its not a moody cow like they usually are. only met 1 happy midwife when i used to work at hospital.

Just had my first MW appointment a couple of days ago. It was just form filling, weight recorded etc. Took about an hour. We discussed birth options to consider, anti natal care, scans etc. It was really good and she was lovely. No bloods taken, she just sorted the paperwork for the scan and bloods at 12 weeks. Good luck with it. X

bless ya cherelle glad I'm not the only one! Fingers crossed we'll both be okay throughout our blood tests and this will help us get over our phobia! x

thanks guys! At least if I'm prepared that will be better. Sounds sad but my mum is going to come with me as I have a tendancy to faint when I have blood taken!
I'm not sensitive of needles. injections etc but still when I went to hospital at 4 weeks, they took me blood for HCG and I needed an oxigen mask!!! I felt I was fainting, the mask helped a lot. I went back after 2 days for repeating the test, I told the nurse I might faint and she was very nice, I didn't felt the needle at all!!!
I think if you tell her before of the problem, she will have better care of you
Good luck!

thanks guys! At least if I'm prepared that will be better. Sounds sad but my mum is going to come with me as I have a tendancy to faint when I have blood taken! Looking forward to booking in for my scan though! Will the midwife be able to tell me a rough date for my scan or do I have to wait for it to come through and take whatever they offer me? DP is working away for a couple of weeks in November and it would be awful if it fell during that time :cry:

i was told i would get a letter throught the post before my bokoing in appointment but didn't so mentioned it to the midwife and she booked one for me there and then by ringing the hosp...apparently they hadnt even recieved my form tut tut lol. good luck with the bloods and itsnot sad at all to have your mum with you. i would have if my partner couldnt have come :) xx

U get to speak to ur midwife, she will go thru many things with u and ask many questions in regards to ur health/medical history, paternal/maternal medical history. Ask u if u and ur partner are related.
Take ur weight/height, blood for blood counts n to see if ur anaemic.

Hope u have a lovely midwife like mine :)

I got my letter from the midwife today with my first 2 appointment dates on it. My first appointment is on the 1st October, which says that its a group appointment to go through the options you have during pregnancy e.g test ect then my next one is a week later to discuss my and OH medical history, our chosen options and to arrange tests dates, it didnt mention anything about blood tests, it just says bring a water sample x x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back