MidWife Appointment this lunchtime - couple of questions

Little miss pink

Reaction score
Hi Everyone :wave:

I ahve my MW appointment this lunchtime and just wondered a couple fo things:

1) Does she do an internal examination?
2) Will she ask me about what tests i want?
3) Do i need to have anything prepared?
4) What usually happens?

If any ladies who have had theere booking appointmetn can help that would be great!

LMP x

Little miss pink said:
1) Does she do an internal examination?
2) Will she ask me about what tests i want?
3) Do i need to have anything prepared?
4) What usually happens?

1) No, (unless I imagine, there is a good medical reason to do so)

2) At your booking in appointment, it depends. I had bloods taken at 12 weeks testing for HIV, rubella immunity etc and you should be asked if you wish to be tested for HIV especially, its at your choosing. Other bloods also then but she'll give you some info on what they test for and when so you'll have time to decide. Maybe some places test at 8 weeks for more things, but according to the booklet they give out with the Bounty pack, most tests are done after 10 weeks and usually at your 12 week appointment.

3) Any medical history that will be relavent. Also your partners, if you know it, but don't worry too much, they don't want to know if he's had chicken pox, measeles, mumps and so on, just a few things. And you can always wait and tell her next time if you don't know. Although I didn't get asked much about his history and in my pregnancy notes its not a huge amount of questions them have there.

4) Not much really. Just lots of paperwork, some questions, BP and a few other small bits like weight etc. Seems to depend on your MW and the area you are in as to how detailed and long they spend. My booking in was at my local doctors and lasted 20 minutes, other women seem to have the MW coming to their home and staying hours.

Its a chance for you to ask any questions about what you should be taking ie folic acid. Also she'll give you some leaflets and booklets to take home and read. That has all the general info in them for you as to the general process under a MW and hospital care. See how it goes and what you think of your MW and ask what you feel is relavent. I asked about my asthma and also informed her I wished to go to a hospital outside of my health authority for all my ante natal care so it meant more forms so I could have all my scans and any pregnancy related treatment done there and not my own local hospital.

Thanks Sherlock thats Great!!

I'm so relieved about the internal bit :roll: :roll: :roll: its a huge relief to know i don't have to have one. I know its stupid but i like to psych myself up for them (and have a little trim :oops: :oops: etc too) and i just never thought about it till this morning that i could have to have one!

The rest sounds really reassuring too i'm kinda looking forward to it now so thanks for taking the time to post.

LMP x

Good luck with it all. I'm sure it'll be fine. If it's anything like mine it'll be an anti climax and you'll come out thinking 'Is that it?' :roll:

I move in the New Year so will have a new MW and hopefully she'll be a little less rushed than my present MW appears to be. She is lovely, but I've spent no more than 40 minutes with her since my booking in 10 weeks ago and had my 16 week appoinment cancelled at the last minute to boot :? Mind you I kind of prefer the hands off, low key approach. If it were too overly attentive I think I'd get a bit paranoid. I like to manage myself as far as possible if that makes sense. But my GP is great and has been a brick on the two occasions I've really needed to be seen.

Enjoy meeting her and be sure to let us know how you got on :)

Good luck with your appointment hun, I sure everything will be fine. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

hi hun, i was too busy to log on to say good luck but i hope its gone ok!! :hug:

Just to let you know hun that with my first I didn't have an internal until I went for a sweep at 41 weeks so try not to worry about it. They only do them when they need to. Hope the mw went well!

:wave: :wave: :wave: here is am ! :wave: :wave: :wave:

sorry i didn't get chance to update everyone yesterday - crickey what a day i had it was a roller coaster.

I went to see the midwife and the meeting was great she was fabulous and lovely and it was a great meeting and at the end she asked if i had any concerns and i told her about the loss of symptoms and fainter pregnancy tests and i thought she would just say you'll just have to wait and see or at best take some blood..... But she said... "oh well lets take you round the corner and pop the scanner on you to see if baby is ok" :shock: :shock: And i said i had already had two scans so would it harm the baby to have so many and she said "no U/S scans don't harm the babies at all". phew :D

So while i was waiting for them to prepare the scan i was gearing myself up for hearing the worst but then i had my scan and there was my bean (a lot bigger - even though my bladder was empty) and its little heartbeat was flickering away i could see its little limbs and it was bobbing about quite happily so i was so relieved and overjoyed :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: And my cyst had gone down slightly too :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

They gave me a print out of the picture which was lovely as my husband wasn't there and they said i probably wouldn't need a 12 week scan now because the size was perfect for 8 weeks 2 days. (19mm). But i wasn't to disappointed as i just felt so lucky to have been given the care i'd had to date! But felt sorry for hubby as he's missed out but i had the photo....

Then in yesterday's gales i was carrying my photo into work to send to my hubby and a group of young girls knocked into me and the picture of my bean blew away

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I was so cross :evil: and devastated :cry:

and thought my OH was gonna kill me but he was great he said we might just pay for a scan at 13 weeks or something so he can be there and get to see it but then i called the hospital and asked if they kept a copy on file and they said they would be happy to give me a 12 weeks scan to make sure the cyst is going :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: (OMG the perks of living in a rural area!)

The service i have been given has been second to none and i just cannot believe how understanding they have been and haven't tried to make me feel neurotic or anything !!

So apart from the obvious disappointment of losing the picture. I am walking on sunshine at the minute, the pregnancy tests are no more i'm not symptom spotting and much more relaxed, as of now my bean is healthy so only 3 and a half more weeks till were are out of the danger zone!

Thanks everyone for all you support!!

LMP and baby bean x

so glad everything was ok :hug: i was worried when you werent back stright away with the good news :rotfl: :lol:
Im so happy for you, what a lovely end to a horrible cycle. :D
:hug: :hug: :hug:

Brilliant news - I too live in a rural area and it's ace :cheer:

Sorry about the pic though, that's pants :cry: :hug:

Congrats! :dance: :dance: :dance:

You'r hospital/ MW sounds fantastic. Lucky you, I'd love a U/S, but then again I am the most impatient person I know.

A x

Oh I am so pleased everything has turned out OK :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back